“Prince Gastronome” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #225 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Prince George, Canada
“Prince Gastronome”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Considering that Trip Advisor is the source of a majority of my readers, I figured I should expand my reviews and include other locations like hotels and tourist attractions. If one is nitpicking my mission statement, I’ll argue that breakfast is included every morning.
Why did I select Mayfield? It was the closest B&B to my girlfriend’s house. It also helped that it was also one of the cheapest B&B’s in town...at least when I excluded ones with shared bathrooms. My trip was on a limited budget and I was willing to forgive a lot. Scottish B&B’s are an unconventional sort, to put it mildly. The houses are small, packed tight with other like buildings, barely holding eight rooms at best. Single-bed rooms are generally miniscule, and I have no problem with this. I could never understand this appeal of some to dump so much money on a hotel. As long as it’s safe and in a good location, why would I need anything more? Like room service, why would I ever require room service? Why give me a reason to stay inside? If I wanted to do that, I wouldn’t have gone on vacation in the first place. I’d just stay home. So all I need is a bedroom, a bathroom, and enough space to drop my luggage. It also helps if the bed is big enough to fit me outstretched.
Mayfield measures up because for the price ($523 for ten days), I got a roof over my head, a queen-sized bed, a TV, a tray of tea and coffees, and a bathroom. The same key which opened my room also opened the outside door, unlike other places which practically enforce a curfew. However, I must be up front with some elements worthy of alarm. For one, I slammed my head on the roof at least three times given that it was slanted over the bed. Two, the shower is so small, that I had to enter it sideways and if I was still obese like when I was a teenager, I wouldn’t have been able to fit in at all. Three, despite making the bed during my absence, they never changed the sheets.
Don’t ask me how I know that; I just do.
Four, the breakfasts had a lot to be desired. I had been hoping for a traditional Scottish breakfast, but what I got was clearly and unmistakably English. No haggis. No black pudding. I got a spoon of hot beans, an inconsistently poached egg, a single link of sausage, a single strip of bacon, and a handful of toast. The only saving grace was that it was part of the stay and precluded my need to buy breakfast on my own.
Five, it got cold. I had arrived in Edinburgh the last week of November, but that doesn’t mean I should awake to a bathroom cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey (It’s a nautical term; I’m sure I’ve used it before). I had to leave the door open to prevent sub-zero temperatures when I tried to shower. This forced my little radiator to work overtime as heat bled through the badly constructed glass windows in the bathroom.
Would I return? Of course...as stated, it’s the closest B&B to my girlfriend’s house. And there are other reasons. Across the street is a bus-stop, and every 30 minutes, the #42 bus will take you right to the heart of the city, past several noteworthy tourist hot spots. Mayfield is a 40 minute walk to Edinburgh castle and, if you walk the opposite direction, a 40 minutes’ walk to Craigmiller castle—a fact I discovered two days before I had to return. Only in Scotland can you take a shortcut through a park and find a castle.

Recommendation: 2.5/5

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I've stayed in Edinburgh 14 times - two of them at Mayfield Lodge. I think of it as my home and I have "my" special room. Kenny acts as if every guest is his best friend and he is glad to see us. Breakfast is delicious - just what you want and cooked perfectly. The back garden is friendly and available if you feel lazy. If you want to go sightseeing or shopping the bus is just across the street. I can't wait to get back to Edinburgh.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Being now a more frequent customer to Mayfield lodge, it feels always great when you arrive and Kenny recognises me us on arrival. The house is " Home away from Home" it is warm and welcoming our room was spacious room 3' and with a lovely garden view. Very quiet and we had great nights of sleep.
The local Pubs in the near walking distance are a plus, " the old Bell, very cosy and great Ales, fabulous Restaurant above," the new Bell, Italian cuisine with new owners, reasonably priced as well, Kenny has the menus of a few restaurants available, so one can choose before going.
My friend has a gluten free diet which Kenny remembered and was well catered for,
Great job Kenny and thanks for your hospitality, we will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear always the best. Very quiet.....
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights in June, the place is in a very quiet neighborhood which guarantees a great sleep. There is parking place within the premises which was great for us. City center is very close so you can take the bus and be in the Royal Mile in 10 minutes or 5 by taxi. The place is very cozy, it has a lounge where you can watch movies, read, listen to music. Our family room was spacious enough, spotless and every detail taken care of. You have to decide what would you have for breakfast the night before, the breakfast is huge and very, very, very good. We enjoyed every meal we had here and didn´t feel hungry until dinner time. We would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I'm a bit shocked to read a few of these awful comments about this bed and breakfast. It seems as if people seem to forget that this is a B&B and not a 5-star-rated hotel, so if you want all the luxury you should apply there. Warm and cosy and a very welcoming. No complaints. I'd go back again any time - in fact I plan to in the spring!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The location of this B&B is good if you don't want to be right in the centre of things in Edinburgh but want easy access. On arrival I found that the host was a bit quirky and too chatty, when I just wanted to get to my room and settle. I didn't want to offend but he wasn't picking up on the hint. My room was average and pleasant décor wise, nothing special and a bit overpriced. More attention could have been given to the cleaning, especially of the ensuite but it wasn't digusting. Slight smell of damp in the room. In the morning there was no choice given regarding the cooked breakfast, it just came out as standard but there was a selection of cereal.

I wouldn't stay here again, when I've stayed in Edinburgh before I've had better quality for less. I think Mayfield needs to pay more attention to basics for like hygiene and the host could be friendly without being off-putting.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Romsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Well what can I say, Mayfield Lodge is excellent. Great location close to the heart of Edinburgh (10mins on the number 42 bus which stops right outside the b&b). We needed somewhere to stay for 3 nights as we were going to the 2013 British Open at Muirfield which was about a 25min drive away. We didn’t encounter any issues at all, the rooms were clean and well equipped, wifi throughout, cable TV, the twin room we were in was very spacious, the breakfast was spot on, can have pretty much whatever you want, cereal, toast/bagel/crumpets, full English etc Kenny the host was great and really made us feel at home. If I was ever heading up to Edinburgh again id definitely stay there:-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Mayfield Lodge Guesthouse? Share your experiences!