“HORRIFIC!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Got a photo?
Add it.
You added Holyrood Festival Apartments to your Saves list
Holyrood Festival Apartments
32 Calton Road, Edinburgh EH8 8DP , Scotland (Castle / Royal Mile / High St)   |
Ranked #149 of 185 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“HORRIFIC!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I was meant to be arriving at an apartment in the centre on the Friday but was running slightly late so called the owner to let him know. It was during this phone call that he first informed me of the change of address. When I arrived at the new apartment I was horrified by the accomidation! Stained mattresses on the floor, no bed linen and a tiny living room. Ian was very aggressive towards the ladies in both my hen party group and another group of hens who were in the same position. He blamed our dissapointment on being 'emotional women' claiming he had done nothing wrong even though there were now 2 hen parties with no where to stay! In the end we had to get the police involved inorder to get our money back. It was a horrible and stressful experience and I would advise anyone to stear clear of these apartments!!!

Room Tip: Book the Holyrood aparthotel at 1 nether bakehouse, we got fabulous service at a great price!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

When we arrived at the apartments for our hen weekend we were told that we could no longer stay in the apartments as the owner was involved with some dispute wiyh the police. When we spoke to the owner, he was extremely rude and did not seem upset that he could no longer give us the apartment that we had paid for. He tried to offer alternative accommodation which was clearly a hostel, as it stated on the doorway, however he denied that this was the case. Our party and another hen party, which experienced the same problem as us, only finally received our refund 2 hours later when the police arrived. I would seriously advise others to refrain from booking anything from this website, as the owner has proved to be a very untrustworthy individual. He did state that he was aware of these problems 5 days earlier but he did not feel that he had a responsibility to let us know about these problems from the outset. By sheer luck we did manage to find another apartment let by the Cairn hotel which was both nicer and cheaper.

• Stayed September 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We booked an apartment with Ian Scott one year in advance for my sister's hen weekend for 16 people. We arrived to pick up our keys only to find this disgrace of a man in the middle of an argument with another hen party who were told their apartment was no longer available. He then told me the same thing and with the most vile attitude imaginable. Very arrogant and offering us disgusting accommodation instead. Both parties asked for money back to which he replied, a friend was coming with it. After 2 hours with my sister in tears and lots of ladies standing outside with luggage, still no friend arrived with cash. Only when the police turned up, did he pay up. Thankfully we found a gorgeous apartment for less money but I would urge people to never ever book with this man. Have no faith in Festival apartments which was the company we originally booked with.

• Stayed September 2013
cramlington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Outside door was hanging off its hinges, Stairway was littered with cigarettes ends. Inside was very basic with no linen on beds and very smelly. Is at best a hostel.Owner very unhelpful.
This was advertised as luxury apartment but was more like a hovel. Thankfully due to one of our party we got our money back to go somewhere else. Ian drives a nice car, by false advertising.

Room Tip: try staying at 77 rose street apartment 5 - slept 16 of us and right in town centre for restaurants...
Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I booked here for my hen weekend originally booking for 18 but about 4/6 weeks before 3 people dropped out so contacted Ian to remove the people and just lose there deposit no! He wanted me to get £80 each off them for the accommodation as he was not going to lose money! So after trying everything was going to cancel so upon phoning to see about cancellation Ian decided he would just let us pay for the people who were attending and just lose the money for 3 not coming! Quick change of hard when threatening to cancel if you ask me. Then the night before we were due to arrive it took me hours to get through to him on the phone when I eventually did I was advised the spa treatment company had gone bust so I didn't pay this so obviously saved some money. When traveling to edinburgh I then had to phone to get an email confirmation sent on how we even get into the apartment as he hadn't even bothered to send this how unprofessional! 1st morning we got up we realise we had no hot water then found the gas meter to have no money in it so phoned Ian to come n put money in it so we had hot water which he did do but while he wa doing this I asked if he could please shut 1 of the bedroom windows as the room was freezing and we were unable to close it the response from him was I'm not here for you to moan at me I'm here to put your gas in now I wasn't nasty when I said it I'm not that type of person so I made it my mission to let all of my hen party no the way I had just been spoken to while he was still there he is the most arrogant man I have ever come across so after telling everyone he was very nice to some of them after than not me tho! He still didn't fix the window and told us someone would be back with a big ladder to fix it haha if you believe that you would believe anything so you can imagine the windows were open all weekend! Also he never put the pilot light on on the boiler so still no hot water n we had no idea how to work it so when my auntie phoned to tell him she got told just turn the dial hmm yea that didn't work so he left us with no hot water all weekend. Also we had vip club passes included in our package that we never received. The apartment was in a great location the apartment was great (minus having no hot water) Ian is the most arrogant man I have met his attitude is appalling and it just seemed as tho he had our money so didn't care about the rest please don't book through him or hen edinburgh/ festival apartments edinburgh it is an absolute joke! As the bride to be I seriously thought I would go on my hen do n be stress free n be able to enjoy it how wrong was I

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Do not book these apartments! Ian Scott cancelled on a party of 15 for a hen party less than 24hours before we were due to arrive! It had been booked for approx 4 months prior but 'unfortunately he had double booked!!' To make matters worse couldnt care less and left us with no where to stay and no alternative! We ended up booking hotel last minute which was a miracle as the golfing open was on! Apparently we were lucky he told us as he has left others sat on apartment door step with no alternative and no prior warning if cancellation!

• Stayed July 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I booked one of the apartments for my friends hen party for 20 of us.

They had double booked the original apartment that we were in but the replacement was great as there was shops on either side so we could make as much noise as we wanted and come and go as we pleased.

The apartment itself was split over 3 floors with the kitchen, communal area and main bathroom on the first floor.

I was disappointed when we arrived to the apartment that the oven was not working. We had come from Newcastle and had brough supplies for breakfast which we therefore couldnt cook! The guy who had let us into the property had said he was really sorry but he had assumed with my name being 'Sam' that we were a group on stags and therefore we wouldnt be using the cooker so had not got it fixed?!!

The rest of the apartment is looking slighlty worn, however it was clean enough and a great base for our weekend!

THe apartments are probably slightly expersive for what they are as Ive seen something similar in other locations but done out to a high standard but I would certainly go back again as it was great for all of the girls to be in one place and easily acccessible to all the bars

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Holyrood Festival Apartments? Share your experiences!