“Excellent experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Glenisala

The Glenisala
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Glenisala
You added The Glenisala to your Saves list
12 Lygon Road, Edinburgh EH16 5QB, Scotland   |
Ranked #211 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I took my daughter to beautiful Edinburgh for her to visit the University and have a feel of the city. We booked the twin room with ensuite at the Glenisla and had a fantastic experience. The owner is extremely welcoming and helpful. The room was comfortable and the bathroom basic but both perfectly clean. We had a minor issue with intermittent wi-fi on both our laptop and smartphone but there is a PC available in the lobby which was fine. Breakfast was plenty and delicious. Location is superb in lovely residential area with very regular buses round the corner which get you in the city centre in 5 minutes. There is free parking on the street. We were both very pleased with our stay and highly recommend the Glenisla. Will definitely use again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Graham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Graham contacted us before we left home to ensure that there would be no problem when we arrived and there was not,Graham was there with a great welcome to ensure that we knew were everything was, We found the place to be spotless, the rooms warm and beds comfortable the breakfast was cooked perfectly to order with plenty of toast, tea and coffee whatever your choice, We have no hesitation in recommending The Glenisala.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed at the GlenIsla when we first visited Edinburgh in summer 2010. All the other rooms were taken so we had to make do with the room that wasnt en-suite, i did not like the idea of this but it actually wasnt that much of a problem.
The Room was very clean and nicely decorated with tv, tea/coffee facilities and much more.
Graham was very helpful, giving us a lot of details about edinburgh, where to get the bus, where to eat etc etc. He was very friendly and welcoming.
The breakfast was lovely, served promptly with a wide range to choose from.
Located down a lovely street. Location a little far from centre/royal mile but i think this is a good thing because you do not get all the noise etc. The bus stop is at top of street and i think is about £1.60 to the royal mile but it is only about 20 mins walk with shops, bars etc on the way.

We liked this hotel so much that we booked it again when we returned to Edinburgh in Feb 2011.
Graham, again was extremely helpful and recommended a lovely little restaurant for us to visit for our valentines meal. we contacted him via email a few times before we arrived and he was more than happy to help.
We had an en suite this time and the bathroom was nice with a shower. Good shower pressure. Again room very nice and clean, very comfortable. Lovely garden out back.
Breakfast was lovely again with a lot to choose from, how do you want your egg etc, we were not given the choice in other hotels.

Would definitely recommend. Will return to this hotel if we go back to Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Much appreciated.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Our stay at The Glenisla made the trip to Edinburgh unforgettable.
Graham got in touch with us a few days before our arrival to check on our flight schedules so to arrange for check-in.
Once we got to the B&B all the brochures and tips to visit the city were available on the spot, Graham asked us to choose our breakfast choices upon arrival and then gave us the keys to our rooms.
We found in each room more information for buses, restaurants, pubs and tours......
The location is great, just 15 min bus ride from the center, it is in a quiet and calm area, great for those who like to sleep in!
The rooms are spacious and comfortable, all equipped with kettles, tv and a desk.
You have lots of tea and coffee available at all times as well as fruit and snacks and breakfast was generous and delicious.
Graham and his family are very charming and welcoming, taking care of their guests and sharing with them anecdotes and stories about the city!
Next time we head to Scotland we'll definitely stay at The Glenisla!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you.

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I searched forever to find a place to stay in Edinburgh. It was my first solo trip and I wanted to make it a good one. I scoured dozens of travel sites, ran Google searches nearly every day, and devoured every review I could get my hands on. And The Glenisla stood out - great rooms, fantastic breakfast, quiet neighborhood, friendly owners. Which is all true, I should add. The only thing that seemed to be a sticking point for some people was the location. It's not right in the city center, which means either a lovely walk or bus ride to the city center to see the sights. I checked the distance on Google maps, and it's really only about a 40 minute walk from the b&b to the city center. It's not the greatest walk to The Glenisla if you're carrying luggage (which I did), but there are several buses (3, 3A, 7, 8, 29, 31, 37, 47, 49) that run along the main road from Waverley Station out to The Glenisla. But going into the city center, I recommend walking at least once on a nice day. I only used the bus going into the city center once and that was because the mist hadn't lifted yet and it was a bit chilly. On the walk in you'll go by a bunch of other accommodations, but once you get to about Nicolson St you'll start seeing shops and restaurants, several of which the only reason I went into them or ate there was because I'd walked by on my way from the b&b.

The room was superb. I had booked a single room and was wonderfully surprised at how spacious it was. Most single rooms have a bed and and end table and not much room to move around the bed. But this room was great - bed, 2 end tables, television, large wardrobe, sink, and desk. And a window overlooking the front garden. Also provided was tea, coffee, a bottle of water, and shortbread biscuits. It was a lovely touch, and I really enjoyed having a cup of tea and biscuits before going to bed. Whatever you used was replaced the following day. It was a very personal and thoughtful touch.

The breakfast was fantastic. A selection of juice, tea, yogurt, and cereal are set out along the right side of the dining room. But you also get a hot breakfast as well (your breakfast order is taken when you arrive). As a vegetarian I appreciated that there was a rather sizable amount of foods to choose from for the hot breakfast - eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, toast. There are also several meat options, one of which I know is haggis, but I can't remember the others. You also get a choice of tea or coffee with breakfast and white bread or seeded toast.

There's also a guide left in each room, which outlines some things about the hotel - breakfast time (7:30-9 weekdays, 8-9:30 weekends), environmental policy, checkout time, etc. But also in that guide are personal recommendations for restaurants and pubs, which was a great thing to have as a starting point. Also upon arrival you get several maps and guides which are quite handy.

Graham and his wife were wildly friendly. They would both ask me about my day, ask what things I was going to see, if I'd had a good evening out. Also on my second to last day Graham had talked about Rosslyn Chapel, which had been on my "maybe I'll see it list" when I was back in the States, but I didn't think I'd have enough time to get out there, so it was dismissed, and I had expressed interest in going to see it. After I got back from touring that evening he'd gotten me information on what buses I could take out to Bilston and easy walking directions to Rolsin and Rossllyn Chapel after that.

All in all, it was an absolutely wonderful bed and breakfast. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would gladly stay there again the next time I go to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: If you're staying alone, the single room is large enough for one person, no need to go for a dou...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
bigton, Manager at The Glenisala, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Travelled to Edinburgh, with my boyfriend, for my 21st birthday. Before arrival, Graham had rang us to ask of travel details and such which I felt was nice and personal. As we had a very early flight, we arrived way ahead of check-in but were able to pick up the keys and leave our luggage with Graham to put in our room later. Graham was very friendly and nice, he gave us lots of information about travel and attractions, and offered us with ample recommendations of places to eat, drink, and visit. The breakfast was fantastic and there was a very wide selection to choose from. The room was very clean, comfortable and cosy and we never really heard any nose from the other guests. All in all, our stay was lovely and made my birthday a very memorable time. Thanks, would definitely visit again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

The B&B is located to the south of the city which can easily be reached by bus or a good walk. It is close to Peffermill and other parts of the University of Edinburgh. The road the B&B is situated on is very quiet with ample parking. Inside the rooms are very clean and well equipped. The beds we had were extremely comfortable. As the B&B is an old house there are many nice features and the room sizes will vary. The twin room we had was on the small side but perfectly adequate for a short stay. The en-suite shower room was clean and functional and had an electric shower that actually worked. I'm not usually a fan of these but the one we had worked a treat.
Breakfast was awesome. Owner very helpful and friendly. We arrived late but provision is made to obtain keys and this worked very well.
Overall, highly recommended and excellent value.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
bigton, Manager at The Glenisala, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Graham

Been to The Glenisala? Share your experiences!