“Great Memories of My Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Garlands Guest House
48 Pilrig Street, Edinburgh EH6 5AL, Scotland   |
Ranked #72 of 440 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Great Memories of My Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I have been remeniscing of my stay in Edinburgh last autumn. I was there for only one night but my hosts at The Garlands helped me plot out a route that ensured a most enjoyable combination of tourist sites, excellent entertainment, shopping, and eateries. All directions and advice made it flawless! The room I had was large, clean, comfortable, and quiet. There was plenty of time to have a great breakfast and conversation in their grand dining room. I will be returning one day with my partner for a longer visit and hopefully we will be able to get a reservation there!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Herzlia, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I loved most of the B&B's in which I slept in Scotland - and the Garlands was the best. It was sparklingly clean. The host gave thought to every little detail in every aspect: clealiness, guests' needs, design, breakfast and advice . I loved his sense of humor (read his note to the guest in the room).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

I cannot find anything to say bad about this place. The room, big, bright, clean, quiet.
I don't know how the Scottish Tourist board rates places. Garlands was a much better experience than another place that was rated 4 stars that I had stayed at a few days earlier.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Olalla, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

First of all, I mistakenly showed up a day later than I had booked. Bill, the owner, still welcomed me with open arms. He also provided me with a map of Edinburgh and advised me on what to do and where to eat.
The room was super clean, quiet, and nicely decorated. The breakfast was delicious and the breakfast room was stunning. I'm not used to seeing such lavishly decorated rooms in somebody's home.
I would definitely recommend this guesthouse to anybody traveling to Edinburgh, in fact a friend of mine has already stayed there on my recommendation and enjoyed it very much!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

Great B&B! The house was very clean, comfortable and well decorated, and Bill (the owner) was a terrific host. You will definitely want to plan on eating breakfast, Bill will cook an entire Scottish breakfast made to order (it kept me full well past lunch). The only downside is the location is not in the city center (it's about a 10 min drive), but there are close stops for both the city bus and the "hop on, hop off" tour bus, so it's not too bad. Will definitely stay there again the next time my wife and I visit Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2010
Genk, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

Garlands Guest House is very clean and nice. Breakfast is delicious en full cooked traditional Scottish breakfast!
I stayed in a single room, this room was big, cozy en comfy. The room is en-suite with private shower and toilet and have tea and coffee making facilities whit chocolate biscuits.
Also a flat screen television with DVD. Every day my room was clean en tidy whit nice towels.
Bill the owner will do everything to please you. If you want to now something ask Bill!!
My last day was the vulcano eruption, so i most stay ?....2 day's longer en Bill did everything to help my.
The location was not so far from de old en new town of Edinburgh, close you will find a coach who drived frequently to the city. Or you can go hiking.
Yust go to Garlands Guest House en enjoy it!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Wurzburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Garlands at the end of February 2010. We were moving house just a few blocks away, and decided we needed a place to stay that would be near our flat so we could go back and forth during the move. I had walked past Garlands many times over the past few years and always thought it looked like one of the lovliest B&Bs on Pilrig Street, so we were very happy that Bill was able to accommodate us at late notice.

Garlands is a lovely old Georgian home, with a grand entrance and a large, bright breakfast room. Our room was also good-sized, bright, and tastefully decorated and came fully equipped with biscuits and a kettle to make coffee or tea. Our bathroom was impeccably clean, well-lit and in excellent condition.

In addition to being able to help yourself to fruit, cereal, etc. in the morning, Bill also makes a hot full breakfast to order. I eat mostly vegetarian, so he made a veggie friendly version for me. As it was just us, he had relaxing music playing softly during breakfast, which was a nice touch, especially during a stressful time.

While I could have written a very positive review on Garlands based just on the details of our experience listed above, what made our stay even more positive was the amazing service Bill provided.

In the chaos of the move and needing to catch our flight, my husband unfortunately misplaced his wedding ring. I wrote to Bill asking him if he could have a look around the room we stayed in, and Bill wrote back to say that he had found it! It had fallen behind a bedside table, which meant we didn't see it when my husband had a quick look around on the morning we were checking out and catching a flight. We asked Bill if he could possibly mail it to us, and asked him to let us know how best to reimburse him for the cost and trouble. Although we asked several times how he would like to be reimbursed, Bill said he was happy to send it and not to worry about reimbursing him.

The ring arrived a couple days ago, and we are so happy to have chosen Garlands not only because it was a great stay, but also because service like Bill provided that is "above & beyond the call of duty" is a rare thing these days. We're so grateful to Bill for his help, and would highly recommend Garlands to anyone looking for a great B&B!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Garlands Guest House? Share your experiences!