“A gem” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

perfect for whatever the occasion..had my birthday meal there and it was perfect from start to finish. I often as a treat get my favourite fish cakes as a carry out at lunch time.
brilliant manager, chef and staff...You must go!

• Visited March 2013

Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great food in a familiar location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Culinary delights in this area used to be the local chippy.
Thankfully Bijou has added a venue to the Leith bistro scene which is most welcome.
I have to say that all I have had so far is the all day breakfast, but it was a pleasure to have eaten it.
Pride of place on the plate is a big favourite of mine, Charlie Barley Stornoway black pudding, surrounded by a pile of crispy bacon, perfectly fried egg, mushroom, 2 quality sausage, beans, roast tomato and a tattie scone. Add toast and a pot of tea and it all adds up to the perfect breakfast and certainly no grease on the plate as can be the norm with a dish like this.
The service is pleasant and friendly and the owner makes sure you enjoy the food produced.
This place does 20 covers and is certainly no posh place, but what you do get is a warm welcome, good food at a reasonable price and a warm glow that this guy is doing his best to make sure you enjoy your visit here. A novel menu allows you to have the dishes in 3 different sizes, from starter up to main
I know it was only a breakfast but having seen the other dishes being served up I can't wait to return and give them a try.

• Visited March 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Valentine's Day delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My boyfriend took me to Bijou this Valentine's Day and I was very impressed.

The food was delicious. I had haggis parcels to start, salmon fishcakes for main and apple and rhubarb crumble for dessert and everything was first class. The food is very reasonably priced for what you get. My boyfriend had the cheeseboard, which looked amazing, and it was a bargain at under £5.

The service was very good, with the waitress coming over frequently (but not too much!) to check that everything was ok with our meal.

They also do BYOB with £2.50 corkage.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Cannot recommend highly enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I enjoy good food and have an aim to visit every Michelin star in Scotland. Having been in leith for 5 years I've been to bijou on average twice a month for dinner and have never been disappointed, in fact I have often come away feeling more impressed than in a Michelin star place. From my first visit the standard of food was excellent both in its quality and quantity. You would not expect a bistro type place to serve food of this quality and when I stopped by on my first visit with my parents we were shocked (in a good way) to the standard. It's not massive with seating for around 30 but the atmosphere is excellent, relaxed and cosy yet not pretentious so you feel fine going in casual clothes. The menu changes quite often and I now just ask the manager Jimmy or one of the waiters or chefs what I should have. From pigeon salad, mackerel rissoto, lamb cutlets, fish cakes etc etc it has all been excellent. They do 3 different sizes too so for my mum it was great as she always finds a main too much. Puddings are excellent too, great chessboard and merlot deal if you just fancy a casual chat with a friend one night and story telling evenings are so much fun. They even do mains to take away if you can't be bothered cooking and it's cheaper and much more satisfying than the usual luminous MSG Chinese or Indian that seems to be the alternatives around leith. Go once and you will def be back. There's a reason why out of the thousands of places in Edinburgh this place is ranked so highly here.

“Great little local”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

When bijou first opened I was delighted, then I was served by the extremely grumpy owner. She's gone!!! Yipeee and it has been reopened, for a while now admittedly and it is a fantastic thing too. Jimmy is a treat on the floor, he's all the things I love in a server; informed, cheeky and comfortable in his environment. The food is well prepared and tasty and I love the 3 size option, bijou, medium and large. It means this restaurant has a option to suit any appitite.

Visited January 2013