“Great little Sushi Place, with lovely staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of No.1 Sushi Bar

No.1 Sushi Bar
31 Home Street, Edinburgh EH3 9JP, Scotland (West End)
0131 229 6880
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #970 of 1,790 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great little Sushi Place, with lovely staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I work quite close to No.1 so I go there quite often. The food is always great. Really fresh and I've always been impressed with the speed of service.

The waitresses are all really polite and attentive which makes the experience even better.

Don't go expecting lavish decor and fancy tables etc etc. If you want good Sushi, go to No. 1.

Visited February 2014

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, fantastic service and worth the price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We went here based on a recommendation from a friend and it didn't disappoint. The food is great and the portions are a good size. There's also a decent selection of drinks. The staff were very helpful and attentive and it was well worth the price we paid for our meal. Would definitely go back!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Hughly disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I've had some really disappointing meals in my time, but it took going to No. 1 Sushi Bar to inspire me to sign up to tripadvisor. What a let down…

We decided to go with one of the set meals for two people, and given my love of dumplings, we opted to add some Gyoza to our order too. The set meal consisted of Miso soup, deep fried bean curd, grilled scallops, a selection of nigiri, salmon sashimi and one other type of sushi roll, and Japanese ice cream for dessert.

The miso soup wasn’t too bad as far as miso goes, and the green tea ice cream did taste like green tea. Unfortunately, these are the most positive statements I can make about the whole experience.

The deep fried bean curd came in a coating that was soggy. I wouldn’t describe bean curd as having a fantastic taste or texture at the best of times, so it would have been nice if they could have at least made the outside crisp as it ought to have been.

The sushi was largely flavourless, and the rice was of noticeably mediocre quality – certainly not what I would have expected from a Japanese restaurant that cared about the quality of what should be their pièce de résistance.

However, the real disappointment came when we were served the grilled scallops. Now perhaps I am being somewhat naïve, but when I order grilled scallops, I expect to be served grilled scallops. Not the sorry excuse for a dish that was presented to me.

Instead of grilled scallops, what we received was scallop shells that contained a revolting mixture of thinly sliced (and poorly cooked) scallop, shredded seafood sticks, what I can only describe as scrambled egg, and a large quantity of cooking oil.

I’m not a chef, but I would be hugely embarrassed to serve that dish to anyone. How a professional restaurant think they can get away with it is a mystery to me. I won’t be returning.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Firm Favourite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I go back to this place often, it having been a firm favourite whilst at University several years ago.

Warning: the place isn't "fancy" and it's not meant to be. The atmosphere is casual and welcoming, but it doesn't look like a cheap diner unlike what some others have said in previous reviews. It's still very much a restaurant - it's just not 'fine dining', which you don't always want anyway.

That said, I love this place. The prices are very decent for sushi and staff always very friendly. Everything tastes great as well. Highly recommend No. 1 Sushi Bar for a casual restaurant experience that always delivers.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Another great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

A great meal which we all loved. Great quality food, big portions and a free starter thrown in. We'll certainly go back.

Visited February 2014