“Overpriced at new year,staff terrible,” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hot-el-apartments Edinburgh Waterfront

You added Hot-el-apartments Edinburgh Waterfront to your Saves list
Hot-el-apartments Edinburgh Waterfront
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   9 Western Harbour | Breakwater, Edinburgh EH6 6PZ, Scotland   |
Ranked #50 of 185 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
“Overpriced at new year,staff terrible,”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

After all previous hassle with the city suites booking with booking.com we finaly got here in the end terribly overpriced £660 2nights over new year plus £40qid extra for a blanket for 5th person an £30 more for 12.15pm later checkout on the 2nd. On arrival staff were worse than awfull as we explained situation they were just not interested in any shape or form an we only just got checked in due to getting in touch with booking.com. The place itself wizny to bad nice views ect good enough rooms but security system to get in an out is just not useable an belongs at a jail also sink was almost dangerously bad. The main thing above all is the fact 5days before we arrived they took a £100 pre-authorisation payment from my bank card which booking.com neglect to tell you about and now 6days later iam still waiting for my refund even after countless emails to the hot-el apartments there excuse is that it may take longer due to xmas period funny then they got it 5days earlier no problem so this looks like this is going to be another stressful farce to get my money back which given the money we forked out this just shouldnt happen.

Room Tip: Go for sea view over firth of forth.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Just came back from a long weekend at these appartments, went with friends and have to say everything was very good, 2 double beds as requested, towels where not all skinny so they where good, nice to be able to dry them in the dryer as it fluffed them up,
never used the kitchen except for tea and toast, but all very good,
heating i found a little odd, the bathroom heater never came on at all , as didnt one of the bedrooms, yet the others you could feel it blowing out, when i rang reception about it , they said you have to turn one off to make the non working one work, strange, not that that made any didfference, so we just left the bedroom and bathrom doors open and the heat from the others kept them just bearable
all in all i would stay there again as they where convenient, bus just round the corner no. 10 got you into town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
mockerkin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

this was an unexpected booking, friends had concert tickets and couldn't go at the last minute so offered us the tickets. I did the usual searches and booked this accommodation on the morning of our stay. I booked it direct as the price was similar on all the sites, £56.00 for the apartment seemed too good to be true. I am glad I booked it direct as I omitted to mark the occupancy as 2 at booking so was able to email straight away and correct this, they replied immediately, and were very helpful. I queried if towels were included, and they were. I asked about the sea view and they said it was £20 extra so I didn't bother as we were only going for the night. In the event we were given a two bedroom apartment near a corner of the building so we didn't have the full on sea views but we still could see the sea. It was a pleasant surprise to be given a two bedroom apartment, when there were only 2 of us (a twin room and a kingsize made from those zipped together beds) master en-suite and separate bathroom, it was spacious clean and if you were staying longer a washing machine dishwasher etc are included. Parking great, right outside our front door (security door and lift to apartment). Whilst its not the most picturesque of locations and the blocks can look like a bit prison like having lived in Edinburgh some years ago I didn't feel the need to be bathed in its historical glory, parking, peace, quiet and space were what I was looking for and this came in spades. Wi-fi in the apartment meant a quick internet search came up with a nearby taxi firm, and we were duly dispatched to the heart of the city with minimum fuss. Knowing the horrendousness of parking in Edinburgh this accommodation is right up my street, particularly owning a landrover discovery, not the most town friendly vehicle. (PS if you've not updated your sat-nav for a while (oops like I didn't) I would do so as the road layout in that end of town has changed quite a bit and in the dark it can all get a bit confusing) ,
Just a note on previous reviews, I read someone mentioned photo ID was required which I couldn't find anything about on the booking form, however when I went to check in they did want photo ID but only mine, as I booked and was paying for it, they also take a £100 damage deposit option on your card, I checked my card a week later and everything was as promised, just the rental payment had been taken

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We found this accommodation through LateRooms - however you can also book it direct on line.
The accommodation was very modern and clean and location very close to the Ocean View shopping centre in Leith. It is only just over 2 miles to Princess Street with a 15 minute bus service during the day. The kitchen is well appointed with cooker, microwave, fridge/freezer and dishwasher with sufficient crockery and utensils for reasonable self-catering. Asda are just 5-minutes away by car and locally there are some very good eateries.
There is no problem parking as we were given access to the underground car park within the accommodation block at no extra cost - almost unique in Edinburgh.
We paid extra for a superior room with sea view - more space and slightly better appointed.
Definitely stay there in future for viewing the city, going to a show or shopping trips.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Lincolnshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights with our 5 year old in a two bed apartment. Apartment was spacious and clean and well stocked with with everything you would require. Great view across the water. Bus stop outside and a 20 minute journey to the centre of town. Ocean Terminal with shops and restaurants within walking distance. Free WI-FI as well.

One tip - Remember to take photographic ID. They require it for you to check in. I did not know this, but luckily had photo driving licence on me. Not sure what would have hapopended if I had not!

Al in all, excellent value. I would definitely stop there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The apartment was spacious with modern furniture, clean and overlooked the water. Fantastic location - a little out of town but perfect if you had hired a vehicle with undercover parking available. There were some lovely restaurants nearby - within walking distance and a great supermarket with virtually anything that you could imagine. Bus service (at end of street and every 10 minutes) meant that we did not need to drive into Edinburgh. The Concierge was extremely helpful. I would not hesitate to recommend.

Room Tip: I think that we had an advantage when staying on level 6 - the water views were fantastic.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have stayed with this company several times before and I have not previously had any issues with the properties. This time however I did. They were notmajor issues but niggles that were frustrating. Usually I am given an electionic "key" to enter the underground carpark but this time it was not an option for some reason and the parking available near the entrance to the block was very minimal, if I had not had my wits about me I would have ended up clamped and with a £100 fine - dark blue notices on a dark fence in the dark.
When I got into the apartment there were no instructions about how to operate the tV/digi box combo, no matter what I tried I could not get it to work so had to make a call to find out. Then I could not get the oven to work and a member of staff had to come out and they could not do so either, we had to search through a lot of paperwork to find the instruction book to realise that the oven would not work unless the clock was set - should have been set before a guest arrived. I settled down to a relaxing night in front of the TV - not to be, a constant humming from the TV drowned out the sound no matter what I did.
I was somewhat disappointed this trip - if it had been my first I would not go back. As other visits have been somewhat more successful I will use them again but not in this particular apartment.
All apartments have been spotlessly clean and I like the fact that you get dishwasher tablets and ice int he freezer!
P.S. have asked for the invoice to be e-mailledto be as nobody available at 08:00 when I left although reception should be open then but it has not arrived.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hot-el-apartments Edinburgh Waterfront? Share your experiences!