“Quirky decor w/ lovely local food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Dogs

The Dogs
110 Hanover Street, Edinburgh EH2 1DR, Scotland (New Town)
0131 2201208
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Denver, Colorado
“Quirky decor w/ lovely local food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I read about this place in the New York Times travel: 3 days in Edinburgh- I just happened upon it just at lunch time whilst I was out looking for a bicycle shop- I had a duck confit salad w/ fresh favas, peas, and red onion- An excellent & perfect lunch- The decor is eclectic in the 2nd floor room with big windows, and pictures of dogs on the walls. Service was attentive. I would definitely go again and if in Edinburgh again, I'd like to try dinner here.

• Greek first
Newcastle
“Birthday meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Overall I think I would choose to eat here again. The food was nice, and carafes of wine are available if you don't want to go the whole hog and get a bottle. The atmosphere is really nice and it feels very homely. One point to note is that there is not a great deal of choice, but I am sure that everyone could find something, albeit perhaps not something they would really like. The service was okay, nothing to rave about but satisfactory. The bars are just a short walk away so perfect if you're looking for nightlife.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Florida
“Don't miss this place....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I had glanced at the menu online while in the states and was eager to eat my first meal in Scotland at The Dogs. Thought the decor was charming, modern and simple. A place men will enjoy. Enjoyed my first fish n chips here. Unforgettably good! Fresh and hot, perfectly cooked. My husband had the haggis and enjoyed as well. Had read about the big fat soup, expected a stew but this is a broth veggie and meat soup. Very tender meat. The man that took our order, who I now believe to be the owner...leaves you curious. Tall, lean, pierced, bald and looming. Couldn't quite tell if I was afraid of him or not. Was he tongue in cheek when he asked me to put my toy (iPad) away from the dinner table? I thought this place was perfect. Although the creation on the wall...what is that?

Largo, Florida
“Lovely local cuisine and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We were recommended to the dogs by a local and we enjoyed everything from start to finish. Four of us tried appetizers and 4 different entrees , shared everything , and loved it all! Hake, rabbit , duck, pork belly, it was all delicious!! Highly recommend a night for dinner here if you want to eat at a more local restaurant, and not touristy.

preston
“Good but room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Nothing wrong with the food but had to ask for drinks menu after being sat there 10mins. People were being asked to leave as their table was needed. I thought one couple were going to be thrown out. Staff a bit rude and toilets could do with a make over. Felt very rushed really.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
David R, Owner at The Dogs, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Sir/madam,
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about the dogs. It ALL helps . Just to clarify a couple of points: 1. Every effort is made to deliver food and drinks menus at the time of seating. If it didn't happen for you, it IS regrettable.
2. We are a busy city centre unit with all the attendant overheads, lowish prices, and many mouths to feed. Every customer is made aware of their 'in/out' time, and agree it (or not), so sometimes it is reasonable to remind people. I am sure if you had booked a table, you would not be pleased to have to wait, as the table had not yet been vacated.

I hope the above explains a bit anyway, and again, thank you for your time and custom.