“Great Southern Indian restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #372 of 1,901 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian, Seafood, Vegetarian, Halal
Description: "Refreshingly different" is how our customers describe us...Scotland has a few restaurants that specialise in south Indian cuisine. We are however the only restaurant dedicated to south Indian food in the pleasant city of Edinburgh. Our goal is to bring to Scotland especially Edinburgh the glorious array of exotic south Indian cuisine.
“Great Southern Indian restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I am a great fan of genuine Southern Indian food, (and have been there a few times). This is a very good restaurant, where the food has never let me down, the service is attentive without being intrusive, and the prices are very reasonable. Last night I had a biryani, which is unusual for me, but very southern, and I really enjoyed it. I asked for it to be spicy, and it was. Also very filling so beware if you are a light eater. Do try t his place, I will certainly use it again.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Really tasty Indian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

There were six of us plus a two-year-old (for whom they provided a high chair) and we had a most enjoyable meal. The setting is quietly respectable and while the premises are a little compact, this lends a pleasant intimacy. The staff could not have been more helpful. It was a birthday celebration and they were happy for us to bring our own cake. They even packed the left over slices for us. I particularly enjoyed the starters and a delectably subtle dish of sea bass fillets. The bill was surprisingly less than I anticipated. This is a small restaurant in a 19th century building. I would certainly follow them to classier premises.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Southern Indian food at its best.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Enjoyed an evening of very interesting Southern Indian food here a couple of weeks back.

The flavours were more delicate that you find in most Indian restaurants and it's certainly a notch or two above being just another curry house.

There is nothing startling about the decor, but the welcome and service was excellent throughout. A few less lights on and a few more candles would improve the ambiance guys.

Would certainly return if in the area.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Great authentic South Indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Great south Indian food. Fresh ingredients. Well-balanced and interesting flavours. Lots of good vegetarian options. Generous portions. Surprisingly cheap prices. Attractive but unpretentious surroundings, and with friendly service. This is a proper south Indian restaurant - the food's authentic, and as good as I've eaten in Kerala. The décor is more influenced by Kathakali than New York. Each course surprisingly good. Really, my ideal restaurant.

If you're unfamiliar with the cuisine, ask for a masala dosa, one of the world's finest dishes.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
dunfermline
“good food shame about the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and i went to Mezzban restaurant for a well deserved treat as we had heard good reports about it,unfortunately when we arrived at our pre booked time we were welcomed by a less than welcoming waiter who showed us to our table.5 minutes later he asked if we would like a drink,5minutes later we got our drinks !! but still had'nt been given a menu when we asked to see a menu we were given a grunt and an ok.food i must admit was very nice but the cold reception we received on arrival really made us feel uncomfortable.cheer up mister waiter.

Visited October 2012