“Great staff, not much storage...” 5 of 5 stars

Travelodge Edinburgh Haymarket Hotel
24 Eglington Crescent, Edinburgh EH12 5BY, Scotland   |
Ranked #111 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Newbiggin-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
“Great staff, not much storage...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Myself and my girlfriend went for a couple of nights. The staff were very helpful, professional and always up at daft times through the night! :) There was a great selection for breakfast, room was clean and tidied each day we stayed, but be warned, travel light, as there was only 1 drawer in the room available. The others are screwed shut with no handles! (After checking with staff, apparently this is standard). It's ideal if you're just passing by, but due to the storage, it's not great if you have to stay for a while.

Room Tip: Try and ask for a room with a window out to the front, as that's where you'll get the sun th...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My stay was from Tuesday 1st July to Friday 4th July for a conference and 8 delegates stayed at this hotel as it was walking distance to the conference centre. On arrival greeted by lovely male staff member who directed us individually to our rooms. Excellent bright and big room and walking distance to Princess street, Staff very friendly and very knowledgeable with directions and places to visit and eat. In house bar and food available with a reasonable priced menu.
No hesitation in returning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Located a short walk from Haymarket Station this was a convenient location for the frequent trains into Edinburgh Waverley and the centre of town. It was a reasonable walk from the Edinburgh International Conference Centre where I was going. Has a small (but not cramped), clean and modernised room for 2 nights at a very competitive price. Platform 5 opposite haymarket station was a good place for inexpensive breakfast with free wi-fi.

Overall v pleased

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Very well located less than 150 m from Haymarket train station & tramway station. The sleep confort garanteed. The building is part of the Newtown World Heritage and located near may of the majors city attractions.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was welcomed by nice staff and they were friendly, good service. What let it down was the cleaning. First night, bed was made but the pillow had no cover on it. There was stuff in the bin in the bathroom. Second night I order food to eat in my room, left at 10am, came back at 17:00 to find my plate was still in my room, my coffee cup was still there and my wet towels. Not a service I'd expect. Location was good, breakfast good, cleanliness of the rooms, not so much.

Room Tip: Take eye masks, rooms are light in summer (not the hotels fault)! Ask for seconds floor or higher, v...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
TravelodgeUK, Nicolas from Customer Services at Travelodge Edinburgh Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your review Sam R. We are pleased to see that you had a good stay with us but we are very sorry that this was marred by the level of cleanliness in your room. We fully require our staff to follow a strict routine in the cleaning of our rooms and we would expect them to be cleaned and maintained to our high standards. Your comments will be passed to our Hotel Management team so they are able to address these issues and remind staff of the importance of customer care and attention to detail.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had two stays here in quick succession, a three night stay followed by a one night stay four nights later. Very convenient for the airlink bus, also for local buses, the new trams and Haymarket station.

For the first stay check in was pretty straightforward and well handled, was told which room I was in, asked if I wanted breakfast, told how to get in after hours and given directions to my room. The second stay not so good, I had paid extra for early check in (from 12) and arrived at ten to. I was greeted with the rather abrupt check in's at three. After explaining that I had paid for early check in she pulled up my reservation and then told me I could wait in the bar until 12. Just under ten minutes later a standard check in.

The first room was on the second floor, a decent size, bathroom had a bath with shower over, sink and toilet. No soap provided at the sink which wasn't a problem but I thought slightly unusual. curtain rail over the bath was very rusty, no issues with water pressure.

Room had a TV, kettle and tea and coffee supplies as well as plenty of storage space. There were a total of four plug sockets in the room that I could find, two were behind the headboard that was fixed to the wall and therefore unusable, the other two were behind the desk and use of them involved unplugging the TV and/or kettle.

The second room was on the third floor and was directly behind the lift. It was slightly larger than the first room. This room had the toilet and sink in one room and the shower in another. The main room was very similar to the first again with the plug sockets behind the headboard, although this one did have three behind the desk.

The lift was very noisy all night both mechanical noise and the floor level/going down announcements. When mentioned in response to the how was your stay at check out the response I got was "Oh" rather than the expect sorry about that or similar.

No real noise from other rooms although floorboards throughout were very squeaky. Beds were very comfortable, curtains blocked a lot of light but not blackout.

Check out was straight forward on both occasions.

I ate one meal in the bar/cafe, service was prompt and food was as described.

For a bargain rate then I'd stay again for anything more I'd probably think twice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
LukewarmCatastrophe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I use Edinburgh Airport every now and again and usually require an overnight stop in the city before I fly seeing as I'm from England.

I tend to favour staying in the Haymarket area as it tends to be much cheaper than the City Centre and the Edinburgh Airport Bus Link has a stop right at Haymarket Station which is hugely convenient for me.

In the past, I've used the Tune Hotel in Haymarket for my overnight stays and I've always been very pleased with them. On this occasion, the Travelodge was a few pounds cheaper so I thought I'd give them a try.

I needed to call the hotel before checking in as my partner was arriving first and I wanted to check that it would be ok for her to check in without me despite my name being the sole name on the booking.

The receptionist who answered the phone sounded young and cheerful and assured me this would be no problem. However, she receives a few marks down because she asked me to confirm my surname and postcode and then proceeded to read the full first line of my address back to me which surely must be a bit of a Data Protection blip - I could have been anyone! ;)

The room we were allocated was lovely. It was up on the second floor front facing with huge windows letting in lots of light on this balmy Scottish evening.

The Travelodges seem to be getting a fresh new look and we found the bed very large and cosy and the decor simple, clean and unfussy.

The shower/bath was fine and powerful. There were even complimentary toiletries which is not something I've seen in a Travelodge before. Towels were fine. I'm sure the TV was ok but we didn't use it.

No hairdryer in the room but reception happily provided one.

The fire alarm went off about an hour after I arrived and rang for a good few seconds before stopping. I had a slow stroll down to reception and saw several people doing the same thing looking very confused. The receptionist was wrestling with the control panel but not actually doing anything to explain to guests that it was a false alarm. We were left to figure this out for ourselves until he finally cracked a joke about someone burning toast in the restaurant!!!

Overall, a very good stay really. The price was £41 which is a bit more than I usually like to pay for a Travelodge but bearing in mind the city in question, it was a good deal.

I'd definitely stay again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Travelodge Edinburgh Haymarket Hotel? Share your experiences!