“Still my Favourite Indian” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Raj Restaurant

The Raj Restaurant
85-91 Henderson Street, Edinburgh EH6 6ED, Scotland (Formerly Raj on the Shore)
+44 (0)131 553 3980
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,171 of 1,789 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A quirky, popular Indian restaurant near the Britannia Yacht and overlooking the Shore at Leith, Edinburgh's historic seaport. The Raj theme extends from the soldier figurines and British flag behind the exotic blue bar to the predominantly Bangladeshi/North Indian menu. Appropriately for the location, there's a selection of Goan and seafood specialties. Among the best house specials are a gorgeous amere murgh; chicken cooked with fresh mango and mild spices, finished with cream and flaked almonds, and aromatic chicken. The latter is one of 14 dishes created by winners of the International Indian Chef of the Year, an annual cook-off organised by Raj's entrepreneurial owner, Tommy Miah. A weekday business crowd gives way to families and friends on Saturdays and Sundays. A place to go with friends more than a loved one.
Edinburgh
“Still my Favourite Indian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I have lived in Leith for 7 years and The Raj has been my constant companion! In recent years it had seen a lot of competition arrive in the area, but it has adapted and stood the test of time. The food is just fabulous with some good deals to be had and a good selection on the menu without being overbearing. The "Curry in a Hurry" takeaway deal is super and well worth the money. Plus....the view. If you are lucky enough to get a window seat it is just the perfect place for food and drinks whilst the sun sets over Leith.

Visited August 2012

“Curry with A View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Four of us dropped in here on Saturday night, after sampling what the Scottish Malt Whisky Society had to offer, and were immediatelyshown to a nice big, round table which was next to the window with a very continental view down the Water of Leith to The Shore.
We ordered a round of beers and some popadums which came fairly swiftly with the minimum of fuss. Poppadums were crispy and fresh, onions tasty and the bare naked green chillis challenging. Starters were very good, the vegetsble pakura being light inside and crunchy outside, with the correct (tamarind?) sauce and not the leftovers from the poppadums.
The main courses were excellent, with barely a trace of ghee. I had lal maas, a "fiery" lamb dish; fortunately, not too fiery but extremely tasty. The rice, breads and side dishes were all good and fresh.
I remember when this place opened, and the owner has tried many and varied offers to encourage people to eat there. I have also eaten here many times and been occasionally disappointed, usually with the service and overbooking. I have had the "business" lunch here many times as well which has always been satisfactory.
All in all then, a dining experience which was better than I had anticipated with good fresh food, service that was friendy but never intrusive, and a view to sit back and enjoy. Cost wise, probably about right.
If you like good, simple Indian food without fuss, and in particular the old favourites, I would strongly suggest that you could do a lot worse than visit here
There are also the delights of the Leith bars to enjoy before and/or afterwards where people are generally friendly and welcoming. Not a bad night out!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not good!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Had a deal voucher and looked forward to trying a place I'd not been to for years. Not a good start as our table was sticky.
Had poppadums, one of which stale. Then waited 3/4 hour for mains...... Tandoori that was overcooked (Reheated?) and overpriced. Dhansak that was OK and another nondescript offering. Naan bread was nice! Service not up to scratch and food mediocre and overpriced for what it was. Even with the voucher not a good deal. Definitely not recommended

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Curry In A Hurry”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Edible but very basic. Much better Indian Food else where.

Visited April 2012
Edinburgh
“Worst food and service ever experienced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Review:

Before we ordered we asked the waitress to describe a few of the dishes to us in terms of spice and content. We decided on a Chicken Dopiaza and my friend ordered the Chicken Balti. They arrived not long after our starter. To our surprise when they arrived they looked identical for being different curries - certainly not what the waitress described to us prior to ordering. We tasted each other’s dish. The two curries looked identical, smelt identical and tasted identical. The only difference that we could find was that one had thicker sliced onions and the other had a quarter of a tomato plumped in the middle. It was exactly the same sauce base. As we had already had several beers and were in a hurry we decided to ignore it and I would send an email to the manager to let him know when I got home.

Complaint:

I sent the email letting him know about our visit. To my shock horror and after several emails he replies with this statement:

”If our food and email is not satisfactory for you don't come back. Im in no position to listen to a complaint that i feel is not worth dealing with.” – Rajah.

After replying to him telling him he had a bad attitude and he should be able to take constructive criticism from his customers he responds with:

“My attitude? customers like you are not welcome anywhere!! let me give you a tip for the future if you are after a free curry complain there and then! Positive criticism, learn how to complain in a professional manner and maybe you will get somewhere.” – Rajah.

Well I can assure you that after 11 years of visiting I was not after a ‘free curry’ and you will pleased to hear that we won’t be back. Furthermore, if the Raj wants to search for my name on other review sites you will find that I have given you many decent reviews in the past.

Side note:

This place has always got an offer online through a well known website that allows you to book tables in advance - we usually book through this offer. Whilst you offer ‘value’ we always spend a great deal more on sides and drinks from the bar than the value of your offer.

Summary:

I have been going to the Raj on the Shore now for 11 years, almost 12 years. During the past 11 years the service and food has mostly been good and always great value. With regret, I will never see 12 years of the Raj and I will not (or any of my friends) ever step foot in that place again. Nor will I be using your home delivery service.

The new management have let this once thriving good Indian restaurant into a cold miserable place with bad food and appalling customer service that I have never experienced elsewhere. This shows with the lack of custom in the restaurant. Please don’t just take my word for it. Look at other reviews on this site and you will find many others with similar experiences of dishes tasting exactly the same. You may as well walk in and ask for a chicken curry - don’t expect variety in the Raj just check other reviews here and you will see the same.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere