“good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Kilmarnock
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

the foxbar is a well known hotel in kilmarnock and has always had a good reputation for accomodation and food it has recently had a refurbishment and is fab i live near this hotel and know its fab they do lovely bar lunches and dinners

Room Tip: all the rooms have been refurbished
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Colchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

On arriving at the hotel after 9pm, I couldn't get in despite ringing the bell for ages and emailing in advance that I would be after 9pm. I then went into the separate restaurant entrance and walked through a deserted hotel until I reached the reception area when at last two girls came to check me in. Having already paid for the first night's stay by Paypal, they wanted the second night's payment before giving me the room key. The room was very clean and spacious (king size), but there was no wardrobe, just a rail in a recess in the wall, and the TV was so small that I couldn't read teletext when I was sitting in bed! Furthermore, the shower had a mind of its own and the pressure was poor (a dribble) and the temperature control was very poor. In the morning, I went to breakfast to find a display of cereals, juices and milk alongside one bowl and one glass. Obviously I was the only one there. After 10 minutes, a young girl asked if I wanted breakfast (I was eating cereal at the time). I said yes but she had no menu so I settled for a cooked breakfast with everything. 'Everything' obviously didn't include an egg and on asking for coffee, I received it in one small cup but no pot for a refill. I felt like I was in amateur night in Cairo. Breakfast the next day was worse. After eating my cereals, and after a further 10 minutes had gone by, I lost my temper and had to go hunting for someone. I headed for the sound of clanking in the kitchen and was told that the chef had called in sick. Not my problem! I got my cooked breakfast, packed my bags and returned to reception. I handed over the key to the receptionist but the niceties of 'hope you had a good stay' or 'have a good journey' were totally ignored. I know the room rate was relatively cheap (£96 for 2 nights), but the service in this hotel was shocking and I will certainly not be repeating the experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
belfast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

If you have dogs,belong to a shooting party are European or if you expect a good standard of food service and accommodation avoid this Hotel.I stayed for two nights as we were to join a shooting party in the area.We were told our dogs must stay in the car we accepted this and asked were we could exercise them away from the Hotel .While we did this we were later accused of allowing them to soil in the carpark and being cruel keeping them in the car.They had thair own sleeping area in the car and were never out in the car park.As in another comment the room had only a small skylight.However some sort of etectrical device cut in and out throughout the night,we had one pillow each and a shared bath towel we had to ask for a hair dryer.While the meal was reasonable on the first night it was served on cold plates as was every meal .From breakfast the food went down hill.My wife asked for a full breakfast without beans,she got beans.We asked for toast it never arrived,we asked for a jug of hotwater as the coffee was too strong, we got a waterjug with tepid water.A party of Germans who were also shooting asked for a continenal breakfast what they got they were unable to eat.They had been there for two years previously they told thesporting agent not to book them in to the Foxbar again..The meal on the second night my wife and I were unable to eat,I accept as we complained we were not charged however the fodd should not have been poor in the first place.When we did complain we were told ther was no one to deal with our complaint.When I raised the issues by Email the manager refused to accept responsibility and made threats about reporting us to the RSPCA.Twelve individuals were staying in the Hotel all of whom were spending money in the local economy on shooting,no one is prepared to go back to the Hotel. we can not all be wrong.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

booked into the foxbar hotel to attend a funeral, stayed 2 nights only cost £80 for the deluxe room for the 2 nights
rooms have been totally refurbished with good chunky furniture, comfy bed and en-suite to boot

would definatley stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Madeley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here in October 2012 and was impressed by the friendliness of the staff, the standard of the room and the location. I stayed in the Kingsize room which was very big. However, many of the rooms have only a skylight but I didn't mind this. Everything seemed ok......until bedtime. I didn't notice it at first but, setting aside the usual noises one might hear at any hotel etc. there was an incessant on/off loud humming noise, initiated by a sound which I can only best describe as an old washing machine kicking in. This was constant. It would run for between 10 and 20 seconds...stop for between 10 seconds and a minute, then start again....all night long. I am a heavy sleeper but even after a couple of Guinesses and a glass or two of whiskey, I was still getting woken up about 4am.

Apart from that, the food was good and I was impressed with the friendly nature of the staff. The service could have been a bit more polished. I was served a cold pot of coffee one morning but the staff were very swift to correct this once pointed out.

All in all, 60/100.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a window, make sure you ask for one. If you need a good nights sleep, don...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
kilmarnock
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My son and daughter in law booked this venue for their wedding reception on 13th September 2012 - on run up to the night itself the "co-ordinator" apparently very helpful and accomodating unfortunatley on the night its self in my opinion "NOT" . After photos etc a small meal was to be served okay it was scheduled for 5pm but as you can imagine it is a wedding things slightly behind by about "10 mins" Co-ordinator extremely rude at this point after " 2 gammon steaks" !! not being located to correct guest !! calm down Jancie they were extras because unfortunately the bride's grandparents coldnt make it through ill health at the last minute and the bride being a bride had only been told before the meal had "forgot" to inform the staff !!! A toast of drinks were being served by staff to which the co-ordinator very abruptly toldhem to stop and get tables cleared and sweet served !! shocking again the way she spoke to staff so is it any wonder the "bar staff" were very curt arraogant and downright rude in many instances bar staff mostly young girls need a bit of "customer sevice" under their belts in some cases "growls" were the only face to face contact and at the end of the night I think sitting in front of the bar on the floor talking about guests as they went out the door was shocking !! but again as I say they obvioulsy trained by their "mentor"

Although fore warned by bride what she had arranged for her day on the actual day the bride was not allowed to use certain extras ie candy floss machine and a few decorations laterns etc she had purchased so also be aware of this

On arrival of evening guests I myself overheard Janice saying to the "doorman" who had arrived " oh am I glad to see you " what the hell is that all about the night hadnt even started honestly it was not the way to start a goos night off shocking again

Holes and uneven flooring caused a few guests to fall/trip one being my 75yr old mother who was thankfully caught in time but not so fortunate for my cousin who fell and is still having problems with swelling and bruising and she actually fell in front of the co-ordinator who found this very amusing !!

Be aware also there is n o residents bar so acfter 12pm any guests staying ( as myself and a few of my friends were) will be ushered into a residents lounge but no drink will be served have you ever heard of this before ??
had I not been the mother of the groom and I had guests staying at the hotel I think I may have expressed my feelings a bit more ! and now as more and more complaints come to the fore I thought it only fair to warn potential couples wishing to book this venue for their special day.

Thankfully all our guests ignored the bad service and we all had a great night with friends and family but it so could have been turned the other way because of a "jobs worth ignorant person"

oh by the way rooms fantatastic breckfast amazing

Room Tip: no wardrobes
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

At 40 pounds a night this hotel is value for money. Location near town centre. I stayed in a double room which has obviously been recently refurbished and of a very good standard. Greeted by friendly staff however no-one there to check me out the next morning. Bar staff seem very young and inexperienced so a bit of confusion with our drinks. Breakfast was fine however no menu to advise what's on offer and the dining room table I sat at was unfortunately not as clean as it could have been. However would stay again as I can't fault the quality of the room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Foxbar Hotel? Share your experiences!