“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alberta Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dundee
Alberta Guesthouse
You added Alberta Guesthouse to your Saves list
51 Forfar Road, Dundee DD4 7BE, Scotland   |
Ranked #7 of 27 Dundee B&B and Inns
Veghel, The Netherlands
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We have stayed her twice now, first time by just googling any B&B, we returned a second time due to the excellent treatment we got here. The double bedrooms are lovely and spacious, everything clean and well in order, and a great breakfast in the morning The owners are lovely people who will do everything and anything to make your stay enjoyable, nothing is too much for them.
From Holland to Dundee, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
alberta51, Owner at Alberta Guesthouse, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hi Ine! Thank you so much for your kind words ... it was a pleasure to have you and your family stay here and, who knows, maybe we will meet again some day!! I think of you every time I use the little blue & white mugs you brought over from Netherlands for us ;) Hope you are all well and happy xx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Forfar, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This place is the best, was stranded on a wintry night when the roads were closed due to accidents but this place came to the rescue. Owners Hazel and John are very welcoming and friendly people. The guesthouse is very tidy and inviting, always warm. It's in an ideal place as not far from the town, or a supermarket, or even local parks to take kids or go for walks. Off street parking that's always a bonus. Fantastic place and people.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
alberta51, Owner at Alberta Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thanks for your kind words ... I remember that night well, the joys of Scottish weather eh?!! Remember if you're ever passing by this way, stop in for a cuppy ;) x
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Having travelled up to my work from Glasgow night after night I decided to look for a reasonably priced b and b which I found in the Alberta they don't claim to be what they are not but what you get is great service the homely approach and a great breakfast
When I am abroad I stay in four star or above and have been to many lovely hotels around the world and to be fair you always get someone who wants to complain that's life but this couple but everything into making your stay enjoyable so as with all reviews people should weigh up the good ones rather than the odd bad one , anyway driving up today for another stay

W s Henderson

• Stayed March 2013
alberta51, Owner at Alberta Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you very much, Billy ... your review and custom are much appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again soon! x
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Saturday morning of the 16th February 2013 I called in to this establishment to book a night's accommodation for a guest speaker at an upcoming study event at the end of April 2013. Prior to this I had telephoned them on several occasions and sent emails but all had gone unanswered.

Anyway, I was met at the front door by a gentleman who asked what I wanted (I didn't even get into the place!). I explained that I required accommodation for a speaker as above.

He told me that was too far ahead! (Don't they have a diary if not a computer programme that allows advance booking?) When I asked when I COULD book he said he didn't know. I then asked to speak to someone who did know but she was "out".

He then asked me if I had been trying to contact them and I affirmed that this was the case. He was unable to tell me why no-one had got back to me.

He then further offered that they might not be open that night.

I then left my business card and asked that someone would call me back to see if we could make a booking or not.

This is now 20th March, over a month later and I have heard nothing from them.

The whole visit was like something out of Fawlty Towers with a bit of Monty Python thrown in for good measure. I suspect that there may be some building work being done as the grounds looked a bit like a building site and in hindsight maybe that was why he didn't let me into the place.

I would advise that I am not a psychpathic/punk/goth/Hells Angel, nor do I dress like one, Rather I am a healthcare professional in my 50's and was dressed as such!!

If they are indeed having renovations done, that is fair enough but a call back to clarify would have been a basic, professional courtesy. Needless to say the speaker has since been booked into another establishment and we will not be dealing with Alberta Guesthouse in the future. .

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
alberta51, Owner at Alberta Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Well, I can only apologise for forgetting to get back to you about this booking.
I will not go into the many reasons for my partner not taking a one-night booking at the time, though here are a few ... first of all, he does not take bookings as he works full-time and likes to check that I have nothing on which might conflict with any booking. Secondly, we are not a hotel with 24-hour facilities 365 days a year - we are human beings with family and friends and he was conscious that there had been mention of some engagement "at the end of April" and lastly we had enquiries about long-term bookings which I was dealing with which would possibly have overlapped with the date in question.
I do find it interesting that you had such a bad impression of our place yet you still wanted your colleague to stay?? Do you not like him/her?! :D I would advise that there are no major renovations going on at Fawlty Towers right now, though we are always "doing something" ... not sure exactly what Basil was up to that weekend though!
I also find it interesting that you presume being a healthcare professional in your 50s and dressing as such (?!) entitles you to preferential treatment to "psychpathic [sic]/punk/goth/Hells Angel"!!!
I have checked through my email, including spam folder and found no trace of any having been received. I do not deny that it would have been courteous of me to get back to you, but unfortunately I totally forgot ... human error ... and no, we do not have a computerised booking system and have absolutely no desire for one either!!
Well, I hope you have a great feeling of satisfaction and achievement since you wrote your review ... I can almost see your chest puffed out with pride. Personally I think it's rather petty, but each to their own ... I only hope that future guests will read the rest of our reviews and realise that as well as "strange place"s there are also strange people out there!!
Yours sincerely, Sybil Fawlty x
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I am one week into a two week stay here, and I can tell you, Hazel and John deserve all the business you can throw at them. A daily, gorgeous breakfast, that is made with any requests you may have, heartfelt daily conversation that isn't contrived, and daily tidying of the room. I chose to go on my vacation/holiday during my 38th birthday, and much to my surprise, Hazel made me a gift by hand. It was VERY sweet! The guesthouse is very easy to get to from any area in town, smartly appointed, and very easy to park at. There is off-street parking, in fact. You'd be very wise to skip overpriced, soulless places like Travelodge or the Hilton. Keep in mind, that I am here in the middle of winter, and that it is incredibly cosy! Forget the single ridiculous review! These guys are awesome!!!

Room Tip: I'm in room 1, and it has a great view over Forfar Road and toward the Sidlaws.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ahhh, Michael, it's people like you guys who make the job worthwhile!!! Thanks so much for your kind comments ... it was like having friends to stay and I still miss our wee breakfast-time blethers, putting the world to rights :) x
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Hazel and Join are fantastic hosts running an arty, eclectic, charming B&B with convenient traffic links in Dundee. Their hospitality was great, and they made me feel very welcome. Breakfast was laid back with a myriad of options, and the house is filled with all kinds of art and cool treasures to look at.
I will be back!

• Stayed August 2012
alberta51, Owner at Alberta Guesthouse, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thanks very much, Mr X Stitch!!!! It was lovely to have you here and we hope you WILL come back, though we've nicked your room for ourselves now ... mwahaha I now have a whole room downstairs for arts/crafts/sewing etc and if John doesn't hurry up and lay claim to the other one it will be taken over with my stained glass bumph in the very near future :) Thanks again x
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed at this B&B to attend a party in Dundee. Our room was very spacious and comfortable and the breakfast choice catered for all tastes. But by far the greatest part of our stay was Hazel and John's warm welcome and the typical Scottish atmosphere they provide. It's a genuine Scottish experience thrown in with the opportunity to peruse excellent homemade crafts that will meet any present buying needs you have for the next year (I know because I'm still buying them)!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Alberta Guesthouse? Share your experiences!