“Lovely place.. let down by one staff member's attitude” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: We are located 10min walk from the train station, and a 5min walk from the bus station.
Description: This modern seafood restaurant is situated in one of the original sheds on the Dundee dock. So as not to disappoint, we do not have a sea view as modern buildings now occupy the water front location. The restaurant is owned and run by husband and wife team Steve and Alison Hyatt. On offer is an international style menu show-casing a blend of flavours and textures from around the world with the great produce of Scotland. We have a special offer menu available at lunch and pre-theatre £11.50 for 1 course, £15 for 2 and £18.50 for all 3 to compliment our a la carte menu which you can enjoy lunch or dinner. Children of 8 years and above are welcome.
Scotland
“Lovely place.. let down by one staff member's attitude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I had heard such great things about this place and so decided to book it for my boyfriend's birthday lunch. I requested a nice table and when we arrived, we were seated in the corner next to the waiter's station (so would have the serving staff standing next to our table, taking out cutlery and puting things away throughout the meal) and overlooking the car park.

I asked if there were any tables at the window as I had asked for a nice table. The waitress screwed up her face, raised her eyebrows and pointed at the window overlooking the car park. She said 'there is a seat over there but it's just exactly the same'. I was extremely taken aback by this response. I have worked as a waitress for three and a half years and would NEVER speak to even the most difficult customer with that attitude! I understand if there were no other decent tables (despite my request for one!), but the way I was told about it was unacceptable.

Regardless, we ordered drinks while I thought about the exchange. By the time the drinks had arrived, my boyfriend and I had already decided we were leaving. I paid for the drinks (£5.20 for two bottles of coke, really?) and was asked by the same waitress if everything was ok. She knew I was unhappy about the exchange, I could tell by the awkward way she returned to the table with our drinks, but I told her again about my unhappiness with the table (please note: I have NEVER walked out of a restaurant before).

I was really disappointed. The place itself looked really nice and the menu looked ok, but that particular waitress lost the restaurant our custom. Instead, we went to the Tasting Rooms just along the road and had a brilliant experience (and spent over £70 on drinks alone)

Dundee, United Kingdom
“Great sea food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Three of us had different starters and mains and all were absolutely top rate. One had the early diners meal and it was great value for money. Great choice throughout the menu. Service very good. Wine list offered a good range of choice apart from a lack of Burgundy. Third visit and will certainly return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fab Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had a delicious meal at this restaurant. All the fish dishes were beautiful and my son's steak was cooked to perfection. The restaurant was busy so the atmosphere was lively! Staff were friendly and helpful. We will certainly be returning to this little gem.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester
“Thoroughly Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Went here with two work colleagues and was thoroughly impressed. We were early so took advantage of the early diners deal. I don't normally favour these but, at £15 for two courses, this was excellent. I had the mussels followed by deliciously flavoured coley.

Top call and great value; the service was exceptional and its great to see a family owned restaurant doing so well. Recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
scotland
“Prawn restaurant not fish restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Nice location and clean and spacious with a nice peaceful atmosphere but its overpriced £7.50 for a bowl of soup,I also had fish curry but the curry sauce was awful I honestly make better myself at home,there were more prawns than bits of fish and for £21.50 for a fish curry i felt cheated,a can of coke is £2.50 and a glass of wine was £5.50.the menu is awful for a fish restaurant none of the fish you would buy in a local fish shop on the menu ? I find that odd ? No cod or haddock or salmon or trout nearly everything is prawn based,figure that out yourself quite easily...one. More thing ,they have that addition to the payment process where they ask you to click on yes or no to add a tip to your bill if paying by card ? It's a known problem that many waiters and waitresses. Don't get the money why do they persist with this method given its reputation ?

• Visited July 2013