“Welcoming hosts.Lovely house” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 29 Dundee B&B and Inns
Scotland
“Welcoming hosts.Lovely house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip.Chose it due to the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and elsewhere.Lovely old house.Stuart and Morag are very hospitable and helpful.I had dinner there as I didn't want to go outalice I'd arrived.It was not expensive and the cooking was.excellent.The room itself was very comfortable and clean.Would recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: My room had a four poster bed.I was woken only by the birds singing.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Prestwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I have stayed at this B+B twice now with two young children. The family room we had was exceptionally large, very clean and comfortable. The hosts Stuart and Morag go above and beyond to make you feel welcome. Every morning was a surprise for the kids, as Stuart was always thinking of ways to present their breakfast, including Sparklers on their morning pancakes. The B+B is set in it's own woodland where local wildlife can often be seen from your window. Even though it's location is peaceful it is only short drive to many of the great attractions the city and surrounding area has to offer. Overall it is the perfect must visit B+B.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Ripon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip to Dundee and Aberdeen. Absolutely lovely room with a bath that i could not reach both ends of. Lovely breakfast. Stunning grounds.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

We were looking for a dog-friendly B&B in Dundee for a dog agility show in March. This came top of the list and all reviews were very positive. We arrived in the evening and were greeted by Stuart with tea and Coffee Towers which were fantastic! Up early for the show and Stuart's breakfast provided the energy to last most of the day. The breakfast itself was very good - started with freshly prepared fruit, cereals if you want it and then an excellent selection of the hot stuff. We opted for a home cooked dinner on our return. Curry was the theme of the evening and Morag's Thai Red Curry was to die for! The pudding was amazing and we're so glad we opted to dine in!

We were in The Roberts Room which was huge and had plenty of room for us and the dogs. The furnishings were beautiful and the room would put a lot of 5 star hotels to shame! Finally our hosts were lovely people and we got to meet their wonderful daughter Josephine. It was a shame our stay was so short, but we will definitely be back, and I cannot recommend this place highly enough!

Room Tip: All rooms look amazing. The Roberts Room for space and views of the garden.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Waverly, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Thank-you to Stuart, Morag & Josephine for welcoming us into your lovely home. Not only was the house beautifully decorated and impeccably clean but we were greeted with tea and homemade cake that was delicious. There was no better way to end a long day of sightseeing then to spend an evening (late night) laughing an chatting with you! We enjoyed our stay so much we didn't want to leave. I wish we had scheduled multiple days stay with you. If I ever make it back to Scotland, your B&B will be the most anticipated stay of the trip. Thanks again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
balmuirfield, Owner at Balmuirfield House, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Many thanks for your lovely review we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us as much as we enjoyed having you. We hope you had many exciting adventures traveling through the rest of Scotland and Ireland and had many stories to tell the folks when you got back home. All the best from Dundee Morag, Stuart and Josephine.
Venice
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Last January I had an immense pleasure in staying at Balmuirfield House, the property I accurately selected for the second destination of an exciting journey I enjoyed throughout Scotland. Without any hesitation nor exaggeration at all I can describe this place as "heaven on earth", and this remark of mine is based on manifold peculiarities I discovered during my three-days stay at this property.

Firstly, the location: immersed into the flourishing vegetation of an enchanting wood in the outskirts of Dundee, Balmuirfield House is the ideal place for those who are looking for a relaxing time surrounded by the colours, the scent and the sounds of an uncontaminated nature. The interesting anecdote I was brought in on by Stuart, the owner, for which the property lies few meters from the river marking out the border between Angus and Dundee added more appeal to the whole experience! The city centre is reachable first after a less than 10 minutes walking from the property to the nearest bus stop and then after a less than half an hour ride by an efficient and regular bus service provided by line 18-19 of Dundee Buses company. It occurred to me even to wonder from the city centre back to the property and the walk, featuring different landscapes following one another, was absolutely astonishing.. An experience I would definitely recommend to try once at least!

The property: a typical historical country house whose rural charm, as far as both its outside and inside areas is concerned, is an absolute delight to the eye of any guest who might cross the threshold of the property. Nevertheless it depicts from the beginning the warmth hospitality by which you are going to be definitely overwhelmed upon arrival.

The owners: Stuart and Morag, lovely, lovely owners, constantly strive to put their guests at ease by providing a genuine welcome and constant care anytime. A beautiful and harmonious couple who thoroughly enjoys to meet people coming from the most manifold parts of the world and to share with them their respective traditions and culture. I enjoyed many a time deep and amusing conversations about the most multifarious arguments, and so much that I felt like I have been knowing them as old friends for a very long time. I can still recall the emotion I felt upon arrival, when after a warm welcome and a detailed introduction to the property and to my room meticulously provided by Morag, I reached the sitting area for a cup of tea and I've been introduced to Josephine, their cute little daughter, by Stuart: I had the pleasure to hold such a gorgeous baby-girl in my arms and such an experience was indescribable..! Both Stuart and Morag assisted me with plenty of information to get acquainted with Dundee by giving me several brochures and a street-map, that revealed themselves to be very useful for my discovery of the city itself and the surrounding areas. Moreover I cannot omit the kindness Stuart reserved to me in giving me a lift to the downtown of my first day and to the railway station on my departure.

The room: I was assigned room number 3, nominated "The Castle room", which was simply wonderful: a charming, old-style and; I'd dare say, fairy-tale oak four-posters canopy-bed provided a comfortable rest and a peaceful night-sleep thanks to the remarkable quality and softness of both the mattress and the pillows. A modern and functional satellite-TV and well furnished tea-facilities assured me relaxing times after long days spent walking outside. The bathroom was spotless and immaculate, featuring a double-functional bath-tub with a stand for those who prefer having a shower, and both the shower-gel and shampoos were first-quality ones.

The breakfast: unbelievably tasty and yummy, this is genuinely cooked by Stuart each morning with such a care in the details and in the products chosen that represents one of the highlights of the whole experience at the Balmuirfield. Served in the elegantly furnished breakfast-lounge, it consists of a a rich selection of cereals (particularly the muesli was delicious), organic yogurts, marmelades and jams, plus a second cooked part featuring sausages, scrambled eggs, black pudding, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, bacon, toasted bread and croissant.. To die for!

If you ever consider Dundee and the Angus county as a destination throughout your journey to Scotland, please, let yourself be overwhelmed and enchanted by this heaven on earth: the charm of Balmuirfield House and the hospitality of Stuart and Morag will surely be the highlights of a journey to the Reign of Scots!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Many thanks for your wonderfully worded review. Hope you took the rest of the day off to recover from writing it! I think its the most detailed review to date and is greatly appreciated. I trust you enjoyed the rest of your trip throughout Scotland and all the best to you for the coming year. Kindest Regards
Morag, Stuart & Baby Josephine.
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

I have been traveling to Dundee for a business contract for the last 3 months and initially struggled to find any decent accommodation until I found Balmuirfield House. It indeed became my home away from home with that added touch of luxury!

Stuart and Morag’s warmth, hospitality and attention to detail are second to none. I felt welcome & at home from the moment I walked through the front door. I stayed in room 2 with an amazingly comfortable four poster bed with a bath and shower en suite. The room is incredibly spacious with immaculate decor and always warm and cosy for the cold winter nights. I would often return from a long day at work to retreat to the guest lounge to sit in front of a roaring log fire. This was frequently followed by a home cooked meal. Where do I begin in describing the food? I stayed there for 3 months during the week and never had a meal repeated as they endeavoured to surprise me with their delicious creations. Morag makes a mean mediterranean prawn dish and a chocolate mousse made with, believe it or not, avocado! Scrumptious! The breakfasts each morning were plentiful with an array of choices. Stuart makes the best scrambled eggs I’ve ever had!

I cannot recommend this B&B more highly! A few of my friends have now stayed there at my recommendation and have ALL raved about ALL the same things I have. I sincerely wish Stuart & Morag great success with their hidden gem, Balmuirfield House.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
balmuirfield, Owner at Balmuirfield House, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Thank you for your lovely comments. We are both so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we're sure little Josephine is going to miss you. All the best for your forthcoming trip and we hope to see you again soon. Best Wishes - Morag and Stuart

Been to Balmuirfield House? Share your experiences!