“Helpful service by phone” 5 of 5 stars

West Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   319 Perth Road, Dundee DD2 1NN, Scotland   |
Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
Scotland
“Helpful service by phone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2014

I attended a conference here, and found it a lovely venue for the conference.
I initially booked into the accommodation but had to cancel my booking there.
I thought the staff member who took my call was very helpful when I said that I had to cancel. It was no problem, and no charge was made even though West Park had already sent me something by post.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, October 27, 2014
Conferencing and Events is the main focus of our everyday business and we are well established as specialists in this area with very high standards of facilities within the Mansion House and Sidlaw Suite. We are also well known for our professional, friendly service and I do thank you for your kind comments.
During the summer we have the added facility of the Campus accommodation on site which offers excellent value for money and is an ideal choice for anybody seeking clean, comfortable, affordable, en-suite accommodation. If this style of accommodation is not what you are looking for we can recommend a few of our favourite nearby hotels.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

Christine M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2014

Very reasonable price so long as you expect small, student residence type rooms. I was most disappointed that there was no restaurant open which meant a 15 minute walk in the rain to the nearest place for dinner. Not even a bar open at West Park so evenings were a bit boring with just a tiny TV for company.

• Stayed August 2014
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. The accommodation we offer is campus accommodation and is advertised as so. The catering facilities are within the conference centre on site and are not available at all times. We do have an excellent bus service (every 10 minutes) from our front door into the city centre where a great variety of restaurant and bars are found. Thank you again for taking the time to place a review.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I had to take a room here at the last minute as let down on other accommodation and it was getting to 4pm. How anyone can rate this more than poor is beyond me. It was indeed grim. No remote for TV, scarred furniture, no lift so had to drag heavy case up to second floor as no one around to help. No dinner available because it 'was only for the tours'. Then to cap it all, a very rowdy crowd of kids decided to party/row/screech outside my window from before midnight to after 1pm and when I dialled 0 for 'security' it went to voicemail. When I spoke to reception about this the next morning when checking out, I was told the security man was probably on his rounds. Pleazzzzze - for over an hour he didn't manage to hear that going on???? It was extremely utilitarian everywhere. I don't envy anyone having their wedding there - choose another venue!

Room Tip: There aren't any
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay at West Park Campus accommodation. I have taken on board your comments and will look address them immediately. Thank you again for taking the time to place a review, your feedback is very important for us.

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

The stay here was pretty poor. We expected budget, but we didn't realise how low the budget was. We got a TV with no controls, one hand towel, a safe with instructions not to use it and tea that tasted like it was made out of ash. Two bottles of beer and a coke was over £9, so they are certainly not low budget there!

Also in our room, we found a note that said the bar was open until 1am, so we went down at about 11:30. Once there we were told the bar was shut at the managers discretion. We had also phoned reception to ask but received no reply. So be warned, this place just does what it feels like and never mind the guests.

This place is so low budget, they sellotaped a sign that gives directions to the leaves of a bush.

It would be horrendous if it wasn't hilarious. It was so bad, we thought we were on a hidden camera show

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

As others have said this is student accommodation and it has the atmosphere of a hospital or nursing home. The room was very basic and the kettle had a white, unidentifiable substance inside that looked like spit!
The only reason i have given it 2 stars is that it was quiet at night and we had a decent nights sleep. Other than that i can't think of anything outstanding to note about this place

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. The accommodation we offer is campus accommodation and is advertised as so. The bedrooms are basic and our price fairly reflects this. I am glad you were able to get a good nights sleep however as many luxury hotels cannot always deliver that. Thank you again for taking the time to place a review, your feedback is very important for us.

uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I booked this accommodation for my mum as my dad was suddenly taken ill while they were on holiday in Scotland and he was admitted to hospital. From the outset, the staff took over and ensured my mum had everything she needed. The night porter helped her with her bags at 3am. At a time when my mum needed help they were outstanding with her. The food was good and they went out of their way to help her as she is celiac. Her accommodation was nice and clean. It wasn't plush, but for the money, we didn't expect it. The location was great for her too. I can only thank all of the staff for their caring attitude to her (and to us trying to organise things from far away) during a very stressful time. What is especially impressive is that the place was full with Commonwealth Games people, so they were under pressure themselves. Well done West Park.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your kind comments and taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear your father was well enough to at last return home and that all was well in the end. It must have been a very stressful time for you all. I do hope your mother and father will be able to return to Scotland on holiday again some time soon.

Newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night to visit friends, we arranged visit at short notice and so booked West Park. As previous reviewers have said this is student accommodation and as such is smaller than a budget hotel and the walls are also a lot thinner. The room was clean but had an overpowering smell of cheap air freshener which was rather off putting. The bed was a small double which was ok, there is no wifi in the bedrooms and the small tv had no signal in spite of a very helpful member of staff's best efforts. There was a small shower room with lashings of hot water and although the shower head looks very unpromising the shower is powerful. Breakfast is available but we booked room only. If you are looking for a budget stay and you have recently been a student this could be the place to try .

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the facilities. I am sorry to hear you had a problem with the signal on your television and will look into this. With regards to wifi in the bedrooms, we can currently only offer free wifi to guests with an academic login or eduroam access, a full wifi facility will soon be available to all of our guests to enjoy however a full wifi service is available within our main building and lounges.
I do hope you will return to Dundee and stay with us again.

Been to West Park? Share your experiences!