“HM” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 30 hotels in Dundee
London
“HM”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We only stayed for 1 night, the rooms were clean and comfortable with TV and tea & coffee making facilities. The staff were pleasant but the breakfast was the worst I have ever eaten. The Location was good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay ay West Park and thank you for your positive comments regarding the rooms and housekeeping. I believe that we have tried to make contact with you to discuss your comments regarding breakfast. Should you wish to discuss this further, please can you contact Gail Riley, Deputy Manager .
Thanks you again for taking the time to place a review, your feedback is important to us

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Renfrew, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Although I have to first of all point out that the rooms are very clean and tidy and adequate I cannot recommend a stay here unless you are prepared for loads of noisy students every night.
First thing to be wary of is when booking..It says on the website that no payment is required until arrival or departure and that card details are required "only" to confirm booking....incorrect!!....my account had the full amount removed the day after booking...!...I e.mailed the place and got an e.mail back an hour later to tell me that the sales team would get back to me soon.....I'm now halfway through my stay ( 1 week after mailing them) and I have still to get a response .
The room that I am staying in is excellent but I was led to believe that I was staying here during the summer when no students would be here....again incorrect.......Sunday night I had about 20 foreign students outside my window till nearly midnight making it very difficult to get some sleep due to the noise they made...Monday night there was a "noisy" live band coming from the next block which again prevented sleep till after 11......Tuesday and I have hardly been away from my window to check my car as there are again about 20-30 students playing football in between the cars.....so far they have managed to hit a parked Mercedes 3 times so if you have a black Mercedes in the car park on 7 aug 2012 and it's damaged when you check it in the morning , this is why..!!
Summing up I would have to say that although the rooms are excellent don't stay here if you want to sleep at night and remember that payment will come out your account instantly even though the website claims it doesn't.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at West Park. I understand that one of our Manager's has been in touch with you already and has discussed your review. I am sorry if you found some of the other guests were noisy, we did have quieter rooms available at the back of the property but we were not aware of this whilst you were staying with us. As discussed, we do have a strict policy regarding e-mail response and this was met although unfortunately it appears that you didn't receive our e-mail. Certain promotions do have different payment terms attached to them and this was the case in your booking.
Thank you again for taking the time to place a review, your feedback is important to us.
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed at West Park for three nights, having been unable to find accommodation within our budget in St Andrews. The room was basic, but clean and comfortable, with TV and tea & coffee-making facilities and plenty of storage space. The module-type toilet/shower room was fine, although the ventilator could have been a little more efficient. As our room was adjacent to the main road, it was a little noisy in the morning with the window open. The reception and breakfast room staff were very friendly and obliging and the buffet breakfast more than adequate. We did not try the cooked breakfast, but other guests seemed to be happy with it. All in all, we would have no hesitation in recommending West Park for good basic clean & comfortable accommodation at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Rooms in the building nearest the main road are noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Salzburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

The room was very small and basic.there was a horrible Noise the whole Night ( cooling Unit?) which we could here also when the window was closed. The staff at the reception in the evening was not helpful with finding a restaurant. The Breakfast was ok but notthing special. For us this is a youth Hostel with High prices.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. The accommodation we offer is campus accommodation and this is stipulated on our website as well as all our agents sites. It is of 3 star Campus standard and offers good clean value for money accommodation at a very acceptable price. I am sorry to hear it was not what you were expecting. We have not been advised of any noise disturbances and would have welcomed the opportunity to have remedied the situation for you. I will look into your comment regarding restaurant information as we have a guide book at reception packed with information and menus for all the local restaurants and bars, our staff are very familiar with the local facilities. Thank you again for taking the time to place a review, your feedback is very important for us.

Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My boyfriend and I needed somewhere to stay for a night after my graduation and given that all the city centre Travel Lodges and Premier Inns were either fully booked or charging £150 a night (!!!!), this is the only place we could find within our budget. I was slightly apprehensive after reading a few negative reviews on here but our experience of West Park was near flawless! Check-in was smooth, and the young man on the desk was particularly helpful to us and hunted down a couple of wine glasses and chilled our fizz so we could have a wee toast in our room! Then we went to find our beds, and although villa 1 was a five minute walk from reception, we found it no bother because of the map we were given. The grounds of this place are BEAUTIFUL!! Lovely little tables to sit outside in the morning with a coffee. The room was small but spotlessly clean, with a comfy double bed and little flatscreen tv. There was a kettle and tea and coffee. The bathroom was typical of a student room with a concrete floor and wet-room type shower (ie just a hole in the floor with a curtain to pull round) but there were complimentary toiletries and a decent sized mirror. Plenty of storage space for shoes and jackets etc.

To sum it up: cheap, cheerful, spotless, pretty much perfect for one or two nights when all you need is a decent bed!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. Congratulations on your graduation! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at West Park and look forward to welcoming you again.

Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I booked this accomodation via Hotels.com on the understanding that this was a "hotel". (Unfortunately my usual choices in Dundee were all booked up due to the graduation week).

It was only upon arrival that I realised it was a Halls of Residence, and this status was reflected in the quality of my room (109) which was very dowdy. (Open wet-room shower/toilet) with very little room around the bed and tiny TV. Standard of decoration very poor.

On the hotels.com site, it repeatedly refers to it as a "hotel". Even if this error is the fault of hotels.com, surely West Park should ensure it's agents get it right.
I queried this matter with reception when checking in, and they said West Park is clearly advertised as Halls of Residence, but this is clearly not the case.

I also enquired about wi-fi connection and was told I could buy a voucher for £4.00 per hour! (It may have actually been £6.00 per hour, but I can't quite remember!). In this day and age such a charge is absolutely outrageous !!

A can of Guinness in the bar is £4.50, which once again is outrageous!!

There are/were no evening dining facilities available during my stay and it is a significant walk to nearby restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I was sorry to hear the accommodation we offer at West Park did not meet with your expectations. All booking agents categorise our business as a hotel which I am aware can mislead customers. We work very hard to ensure customers are not misled through tailoring of our website scripts and showing photographs of the accommodation to hopefully demonstrate a true representation. This is something I will re-address with our agents. Our prices however are very reflective of the type of accommodation we offer.
I do take on board your comments regarding wifi, we also have 24hr rates which offer much better value for money and are currently working towards being able to provide free wifi to our guests.

Dunfermline
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

A conference centre, made up of accomodation blocks built round a large "country mansion" type of house. I visited this centre as a delegate at an 80-people conference . My room (in "villa") was basic: student-type, ensuite, well-kept and clean. Facilities were excellent, staff exceptionally friendly and helpful, and our conference meals were excellent. Have no hesitation in recommending this venue for a conference of this size. One reservation - maybe the initial picture on the web-site does not represent the true accomodation type.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay during your conference. The Conference Centre itself consists of the Mansion House and a large auditorium, offering excellent facilities for Conferencing an Events throughout the entire year.
The Campus accommodation is only available during the summer season when we can offer the additional element of an overnight stay, either for delegates attending residential conferences, or for general bed and breakfast bookings. The rooms offer the basic requirements and therefore represent excellent value for money.
I do take on board your point regarding the photographs. We try careful to market the accommodation very differently to the Conference Centre Venue and do include photographs of the accommodation. I will revisit this and see if we can improve on this aspect.
Thank you again for your kind comments and hopefully see you again at next years conference.

Christine Milne

Been to West Park? Share your experiences!