“Worthwhile going in” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fisherman's Tavern Hotel

You added Fisherman's Tavern Hotel to your Saves list
Fisherman's Tavern Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10-16 Fort Street | Broughty Ferry, Dundee DD5 2AD, Scotland   |
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
Forres, Scotland
“Worthwhile going in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

From the outside on a dreich (dull and cloudy and a little damp if not Scots) day the place belies its interior. From my arrival to my departure the staff were welcoming, helpful and friendly. I was given clear explanations about food etc. My room surpassed my expectations perhaps because the hotel was quiet and I was given a bigger room for the 3 nights. The room was spacious, with large, firm comfy bed. It was clean and my greatest joy was decent lighting with which to read, see the mirror, do some work using the free wifi. Breakfast was sumptuous and excellent all freshly cooked to order.
Be aware parking early evening although there you might have to walk a couple of streets. The location is however quiet and close the the edge of the Tay with many wild birds.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed at the hotel, it is nice and central and offers good food choice and some real ales for those beer fans. Staff could not do enough to help. Room was clean and tidy, being a listed building there is no double glazing so you do get some street noise. Full cooked breakfast was provided. I would certainly use the hotel again. It is not the largest pub / restaurant area and it does get busy so I would recommend booking a table if you want an evening meal.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

First of all to explain the title, just in case I give the impression that this Tavern is undergoing perpetual refurbishment: At the time I stayed there, the kitchen was being refitted and was on track for completion at the end of the week.
The Tavern is located close (but not too close!) to the sea with the reassuring sight of an RNLI lifeboat parked/ moored at the end of the street.
There was a warm and good humoured welcome from the staff on entering the bar with my bag and baggage. The customers were a decent lot too and didn't give the impression that they thought I'd recently arrived from Planet Zog. The room was decent too with all I needed for a good night's sleep. As the kitchen was out of order, I walked a few yards down the street and turned left at the lifeboat and went into The Ship Inn. Again, very friendly staff, good grub and a decent price. Apparently there is a good view out on to the Firth of Tay, which I would well believe though with it being dark and a gale blowing I could only hear the view, as it were. After this I went for a bit of a walk around the pleasant streets and lanes to aid digestion before returning to the the Tavern. I had a good night's sleep and in the morning had a continental breakfast (no cooked due due to temporary lack of a kitchen), which was decent.
I'd definitely stay here again and would wholely recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Good b&b, comfortable bed, clean and tidy bathroom with plenty hot water, friendly staff and breakfast lovely with loads of choice, cooked fresh to order. On street parking, able to park up and leave car with no worries, the sea at end of road for a lovely morning stroll

• Stayed January 2014
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed one Saturday in October with 5 male friends in order to watching some football in Dundee. The quality of our room was bang on what we expected for the excellent price we paid for B&B; clean, comfortable and functional. The pub is split into three areas; restaurant, front bar and a back bar. The front bar is more saloon style whereas the back is more lounge style but both have good character and the whole place feels comfortable and familiar.

We tried all the real ales on offer whilst watching the lunchtime match on Sky TV. The beers were varied, well kept and served properly (so many pubs fail on the pouring even if the beer is good) and went down a treat. After the game in Dundee we returned for the evening session. The pub was ever so busy and stayed that way right up until about 1.30 but the atmosphere was good and friendly and the whisky chasers with each beer made our Scottish experience complete (we're from London/Essex/Kent).

The staff were friendly and helpful from beginning to end and the meal we had on the Saturday night was very good quality and value. Sunday morning breakfast did not disappoint either.

I would not recommend this pub for families but I would strongly recommend it for adult groups or couples. Would stay there again without doubt and to combat the little bit of noise from either the bar (upstairs room) or the street (ground floor room) would recommend the whisky chasers as an alternative to earplugs.

Room Tip: Ground Floor rooms are separate from the pub so they only get noise from the street, not the bar. S...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Paisley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed here overnight on a recent trip to Dundee to visit relatives. I had read good reviews about it on Tripadvisor so we thought we would give it a go. We arrived in the afternoon and went in to the bar to have some food and a couple of drinks. It was much smaller inside than it looked on their website and we struggled to find a seat. Eventually we asked if we could sit at one of the tables that was reserved for someone from 7p.m. and were told this would be okay. We booked a table for dinner that evening. The room was adequate, nothing special. Dinner was okay, but again nothing special. As it was so busy in the evening and there was nowhere to sit we decided to head back to the room with a bottle of wine. The walls between rooms are very thin and we could hear the couple next door talking. Unfortunately our room faced out on to front street and it was very noisy when everyone was pouring out of the pub at closing time. On a plus note all the staff were very friendly, helpful and obliging. Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

After reading the reviews we opted for her for our overnight stay. It was very ordinary. The rooms were ok but nothing special but i suppose it is cheap so shouldn't expect much.
The breakfast was fine but huge. The scrambled egg was far too much so made it slightly off putting. I must say that the breakfast staff were absolutely lovely and couldn't have been any nicer so big thumbs up to them.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Fisherman's Tavern Hotel? Share your experiences!