“Excellent hotel, even better customer care” 5 of 5 stars

The Hotel Broughty Ferry
16 West Queen Street | Broughty Ferry, Dundee DD5 1AR, Scotland   |
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
Edinburgh
“Excellent hotel, even better customer care”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a great hotel, very comfortable, clean and well maintained. We stayed on a Saturday night out of season but the restaurant was heaving, and still the staff managed to fit us in for dinner. The restaurant menu is extensive to say the least, and the food was very good.
Staff were all very friendly and helpful, but the hotel came into its own when we ran into trouble the following day. Our car wouldn't start, leaving us stranded on a Sunday, miles from home. The owner immediately stepped in, arranged for a mechanic to come and then personally drove us to the rail station so we could continue our journey. To say they went the extra mile would be a considerable understatement. Our experience before this episode was good enough, but we left feeling geniunely grateful and keen to return.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
robyn16, Owner at The Hotel Broughty Ferry, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Good afternoon Niall,
Many thanks for your very kind review, I'm delighted you found our hotel comfortabe, unlike the Gentleman a couple of reviews ago ! Great to know you got home safely, we do try to help our customers as much as possible. We would be delighted to welcome you both back, it would be a pleasure for the staff and myself to see you once again. Take care, I hope the car does not take unwell again !
Jeff Stewart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Very nice hotel, it was lovely to go down in the morning for a swim. the hotel is very well located for shopping and pubs, also if you want to walk down front .This is a lovely location if you want to go walking.

Room Tip: for those who are not very good on your legs, i would ask for a low number room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Makinsav,
Many thanks for your very positive review, we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay, and delighted you used the swimming pool. Not enough residents use this facility. I agree with you that our location is superb, there are some magnificent views within a few hundred yards of our hotel. Once again, many thanks, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Hemel Hempstead
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I recently had a midweek stay at the Broughty Ferry as a solo business traveller.

My usual must have's of free parking and free wi-fi helped me choose to stay here, along with other Tripavisor reviews. It is a family run business, and as far as the staff and food are concerned I have no complaints. Both restaurant and bar were really busy, mainly with locals coming in for dinner. I had a Tandori Mixed Grill in the restaurant, which included rice, bread and a choice of sauce. It was nice, but although I can eat, at least a 1/3rd of it went back as I was full!

The bedrooms are not great, they are clean but not particularly comfortable, and the lack of any desk space combined with a weak wi-fi signal made working difficult to say the least. Lets just say a little old fashioned.

I would recommend the Broughty Ferry for leisure, not for business.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear JustinHemel,
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review, we do appreciate residents making positive comments. I'm sorry the Tandoori mixed grill was too much for your appetite, the menu does explain the contents of this particular dish are pretty large, if a diner chooses this dish then obviously they are very hungry. I'm disappointed to read that you found your room uncomfortable,In 2012, we spent over £80,000 on rooms. We must have inadvertently missed your one out. We do know that the hotel is old fashioned, however, we, like most of our customers, prefer it that way. I note that you, quite rightly, like many others, are drawn towards hotels that offer you free car parking & free wi-fi, however, you could have mentioned that we also offer complimentary slippers and use of bathrobes, complimentary leisure facilities, ( swimming pool, gym and sauna ) complimentary full Scottish breakfast, complimentary sweeties, complimentary bottled water in the rooms and complimentary local courtesy transport. I use the old fashioned word complimentary rather than free, it's so much nicer ! On the positive side, many thanks for your comments regarding the staff, sorry about the tandoori meal being too large, the weak wi-fi and the lack of desk in your room. Hopefully we will see you again as a leisure customer rather than a business one.
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

enjoyed wonderful meal last week,table of four in a very busy bar,great friendly service.we had one lovely curry and two specials (very special specials) beef in a grain mustard and honey sauce,and a tapas for two wow wonderful...all round lovely will be back for more tapas for four next time.well done to all the friendly staff

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
robyn16, Owner at The Hotel Broughty Ferry, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Stevemac
Sincere thanks for your very kind and wonderful comments, so pleased that you enjoyed your choices of food, especially the " special specials " The beef strips in a grain and honey sauce is one of my favourite dishes, also the sharing platter of tapas is just delicious, very very popular. You have no idea the fantastic feeling a review such as yours gives our staff, it is just so rewarding. Once again, many thanks and we hope to see you soon.
Aberfoyle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Went here with my son, daughter in law & two grandchildren to celebrate my daughter in law's birthday. It was all excellent. Staff could not have been nicer, more attentive or kind. I had an excellent Prawn Korma, the kids shared haddock high tea, son had a massive mixed grill and daughter in law had a Prawn Madras. Now thinking (although its not too far away from our home!) that my wife and I might have an overnight break here. Saddened to read one or two poor reviews - I empathise with the owner trying to deal with some of the malicious stuff. If you are looking at this on your computer - ignore all the bad reviews. You will not find better. Happy to recommend this place. The cakes, toast, tea coffee etc were all superb - and staff made a point of asking when we wished them brought to the table - a nice touch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Stewartandkate,
Although it is snowing at the moment, ( Mother's Day ) a review such as yours, puts a Spring in our step at The Hotel Broughty Ferry. It's just so rewarding to myself and the staff, when a customer devotes time to write such complimentary comments. Also my sincere thanks for pointing out that there are a few vindictive reviews, however I'm sure future customers who read reviews, can like yourselves " read between the lines " Once again, many thanks and we hope to see you soon.
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We came here for valentines day as we recieved a voucher at Christmas time. The staff were very polite and even though there was a small mix up with our order it was very quickly sorted with no fuss. We ordered from the Indian menu, Korma and Tikka Masala. The food itself is lovely and i do recommend the naan bread! However I was a bit shocked to see that you pay £3.95 on top of your curry (£15.95) for your rice, which is no more than what you would cook at home. So for nearly £20 each I would probably go along to my local Indian takeaway. The portions are however VERY generous so you do get your money's worth. We will come here again as I've heard the bar menu is really good.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Kerry 567,
Many thanks for your very kind review. Valentine's night was extremely successful, we have had fantastic feedback, however it is extra special to myself and our staff when customers such as yourselves take the time to put " pen to paper. " Great to hear that you enjoyed our Globally famous curries !!! the chefs are really delighted. Once again many thanks for your positive review, it is very much appreciated and we hope to see you again soon.
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Having previously dined very happily at this venue some time ago was very disappointed with the meal and service last weekend. Ordered bottle of wine, which was just dumped on our table together with a jug of water, and we had to do the pouring all night ourselves. Discovered it wasn't the wine we had ordered but decided not to cause a fuss and just kept it. Later was horrified to see a young waitress standing at the bar, pouring dregs from half empty bottles of wine into bottles until they were full, wiping the bottles down, screwed on the top and placed them back into wine rack. As for the food, steak was tasteless with an overpriced pepper sauce, which was certainly "not to die for"! Saw the chef passing through wearing a uniform that clearly hadn't seen a wash for some time. We just quickly paid our bill and made a quick exit, never to return. The prices are certainly not cheap in this place and to say I was disappointed is an understatement. In my opinion the young staff are inexperienced and the standards have definitely went down since my last visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
robyn16, Owner at The Hotel Broughty Ferry, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Janel, To say I was baffled and perplexed with your review, would be an understatement. I only wish you had mentioned on the night that the wrong wine had been delivered to your table, we could have sorted that out immediately, however thank you for not making a fuss on the night, better making a fuss with a review eh ! As for pouring your own wine and water all night by yourselves, most normal diners prefer it that way, gone are the days of a wine waiter hanging about waiting for you to empty your glass. Read any modern day catering manual on this subject, you will discover that diners resent having to wait for a wine waiter to pour, in fact it makes the customer feel very uncomfortable. Your next observation about the staff pouring the wine dregs into bottles then placing them back in the rack, beggars belief. Throughout the night the staff open up several bottles of house red wine to sell by the glass, what you saw was a girl decanting two part full bottles of the same house Malbec into the one bottle, she then wiped the bottle and placed it in front of the red wine rack, to be used to pour out more glasses of house red, it did not go back in the rack !! I presume that you are assuming the bottle would be re-sold, us pretending to the customer that the bottle was sealed, this is just an absolute and utter nonsense, I doubt if any restaurant would ever have to stoop so low. Now of course onto the food. All our beef is purchased from the most reputable butcher in Tayside, Scott Brothers, who by the way buy beef on the hoof from local farms, if you wish, phone me and I will find out which farm your " tasteless " Aberdeen Angus steak came from. We can only do our very best by buying the very finest quality beef, if " tasteless " is your opinion then so be it. We sell around 80 steaks per week, in the ten years I have been here, tasteless is a word I have not heard in relation to any of our steaks, I also note that you were not happy with the " overpriced peppercorn sauce, " this sauce is made from the finest ingredients, we use onions, Graham's home farm cream, demi glaze, cracked pepper and 15 ml of Martell Brandy, hence the cost, our overall prices are in line with many of our competitors, we fully appreciate that customers on a limited budget, usually have the sense to eat elsewhere. I would like to inform you that our hotel has an in house laundry, the chef's uniforms as you call them, are washed every day, believe it or not, they wear them to protect their clothes from becoming soiled and stained, it is an unfortunate fact of life that in a very busy kitchen ( we did over a 100 meals the night you were in ) the chefs do not go about looking like Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay !! I cannot believe that a customer with so many gripes did not mention them on the night. We are very sorry you did not enjoy your evening with us, however, we fully understand that you will never return.
Jeff Stewart

Been to The Hotel Broughty Ferry? Share your experiences!