“Excellent food and service” 5 of 5 stars

You added Taychreggan Hotel & Restaurant to your Saves list
Taychreggan Hotel & Restaurant
4 Ellieslea Road | Broughty Ferry, Dundee DD5 1JG, Scotland   |
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Me and my husband stayed here for one night and have no complaints. Room was clean and of a good size. As with good Scottish weather the room was slightly cold but quickly heated up once we switched on the heater. We had dinner and breakfast and both were delicious. Staff were friendly, likeable and very helpful

Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed for one night on a business trip.The hotel is very friendly warm clean and great food. I had a small single room 4 small but had everything i needed. The staff were very helpful booking taxis and offering advice. There are over 450 different whiskys in the bar - i had to try one and was given a very full detailed way, how to choose and drink scottish whisky. FAB - i slept well. Thank you Id not hesitate to go back and see more of the hotel and Dundee

Room Tip: Room 8 was a very large double on the front, very large bathroom too
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had the pleasure of dining at the Taychreggan restaurant on Sunday 16th September. It was a special birthday occassion and the small but experienced staff coped extremely well and were attentive to our every need. As a party of about 25, the children were offered main courses whilst the adults enjoyed starters - we particularly recommend the local 'Cullen Skink'. As sassenachs visiting from across the border, this was a culinary treat! Despite a small hiccup with the table plan - which was dealt with discreetly, promptly and efficiently - the remainder of the meal passed without any fuss and our whole family was made to feel welcome and at no time rushed. The vista and gardens were a bonus for the children to run around in after the main meal. Overall, a memorable and special venue which I thoroughly recommend for such an occassion. My thanks to the staff on that day who worked their socks off for us all.

Room Tip: The bar is stocked with a tremendous selection of scotch should you feel adventurous.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I recently had high tea with a few friends at this restaurant based upon the recommendation of a friend.

First impressions is that this is a beautiful looking hotel. Everything is decorated in keeping with the period of the building and it all looked clean and fresh.

We had booked a table and once seated, the first round of drinks was ordered without a hitch. Sadly this did not set the tone for the rest of the evening.

Each member of my party ordered high tea; each with a varying main course. In other restaurants I've had high tea, everything is all brought out at once - i.e. you get your tea, main, cakes and toast all in a oner. Not today and not in the Taychreggan it would seem.

We were offered the choice of getting our toast first to which we all happily complied as we were starving. After a long time, our mains finally arrived and then a good while after that we were offered another round of drinks. We were left sitting for a wee while again before our cakes were brought out and we were finally offered a pot of tea!

The food itself was alright. I can't say it was brilliant but it wasn't terrible either. The toast was quite cold. The main - I had mushrooms with cous cous and haloumi(?) was quite bland. Some of my party had chips with their meal and each one commented on how greasy they were. The cakes when they were brought out were O.K. though I think the scones were a little on the stale side.

Service was pretty terrible. I'm not sure if the restaurant was understaffed or whether the staff were under motivated. Though I am not a fan of waiting staff who 'hover', I do expect to see them every now and then! A very long time passed between visits from the staff and we were feeling quite neglected by the end of the night. We actually had to physically seek someone out in order to get the bill.

It was a pretty average night to be honest. For the price it was alright but the settings do imply a higher quality evening.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Basingstoke, Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Brilliant, huge, well decorated room! fantastic view from the huge windows.
Wonderful off road parking, friendly staff.
As always it is the food and the bar which makes this place so special... we have been 4 times in 4 years now and not even close to sampling a small amount of the 400+ malts they have in the bar! and the barman was exceptional in his recommendations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
moray
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We have visited the Taychreggan several times over the years but this is the first time we have stayed since the new owners have taken over. Our room had a beautiful view over the garden , was spacious and had everything you need - comfy bed, shower etc. However, it seemed rather spartan. The furnishings were mismatched, there was no headboard on the bed,no pictures on the wall etc. The biggest difference we noticed was in the service. Previously the service at the Taychreggan was its strength, particularly Stephen Garland whose enthusiasm and experience really made for a special experience. Stephen has obviously moved on and he is missed. The young staff we met were pleasant enough but lack of experience and the fact there were so few of them in attendance really showed at times. There was no one "selling" the Taychreggan - we weren't asked if we'd like dinner at check in, when we went down for a pre dinner drink we were shown directly to our table, no nightcap was suggested. At breakfast we had a wait to be served,as did other guests. Dinner and breakfast were though very tasty. In these tough economic times a few changes could turn this adequate but pleasant hotel into a truely special place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there just for one night. Came to the hotel pretty late but there was someone avalible right away. The place it self it's a former family house converted into hotel some time ago there is 10 rooms avalible on the second floor (can't remember if there is another third floor but I don't think so - that's for someone who give rats back side how many levels hotel has got). On the ground floor you can find kitchen, dining rooms, pub etc. The deco of the hotel i nothing but modern but I don't think it needs refurbishment part from wee details like exposed pipes, tired and used wee things. I don't know Dundee well but I'm guessing the hotel is situated in nice estate (but nice I mean chavless) but at the same time is fair distans away from tons centre so if you gannin to Dundee for a night out in city's nightclubs and you planning on coming back steaming choose another place. The property has got plants of car parking sonyou can easily bring your car. Hotel was spotless to me - clean carpets toilets and sheets - until I found something stuck on the top of shower head. That wee thing made me feel sick and wondering how the hell it got there. The staff is just brilliant. Really helpful and friendly. if you like to get yourself stuffed in the morning then you gonna like b-fast in this place. There is plants to choose from but there is no continental b-fast. Everything you are ordering from the menu including serial. Never tried diner at their restaurant but I've seems some good rewievs on that subject. Good to mention that I arrived at the hotel 20.55 and the kitchen staff finishes work at 21.00 but I'be been offered dinner which is nice. Room I stayed in was a single one and was just right for me. There is free of charge Wi-Fi avalible. Finishing if you are looking for good hotel for decent price with good food and grate staff this is your place.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Taychreggan Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!