“has potential” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
moray
“has potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We have visited the Taychreggan several times over the years but this is the first time we have stayed since the new owners have taken over. Our room had a beautiful view over the garden , was spacious and had everything you need - comfy bed, shower etc. However, it seemed rather spartan. The furnishings were mismatched, there was no headboard on the bed,no pictures on the wall etc. The biggest difference we noticed was in the service. Previously the service at the Taychreggan was its strength, particularly Stephen Garland whose enthusiasm and experience really made for a special experience. Stephen has obviously moved on and he is missed. The young staff we met were pleasant enough but lack of experience and the fact there were so few of them in attendance really showed at times. There was no one "selling" the Taychreggan - we weren't asked if we'd like dinner at check in, when we went down for a pre dinner drink we were shown directly to our table, no nightcap was suggested. At breakfast we had a wait to be served,as did other guests. Dinner and breakfast were though very tasty. In these tough economic times a few changes could turn this adequate but pleasant hotel into a truely special place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there just for one night. Came to the hotel pretty late but there was someone avalible right away. The place it self it's a former family house converted into hotel some time ago there is 10 rooms avalible on the second floor (can't remember if there is another third floor but I don't think so - that's for someone who give rats back side how many levels hotel has got). On the ground floor you can find kitchen, dining rooms, pub etc. The deco of the hotel i nothing but modern but I don't think it needs refurbishment part from wee details like exposed pipes, tired and used wee things. I don't know Dundee well but I'm guessing the hotel is situated in nice estate (but nice I mean chavless) but at the same time is fair distans away from tons centre so if you gannin to Dundee for a night out in city's nightclubs and you planning on coming back steaming choose another place. The property has got plants of car parking sonyou can easily bring your car. Hotel was spotless to me - clean carpets toilets and sheets - until I found something stuck on the top of shower head. That wee thing made me feel sick and wondering how the hell it got there. The staff is just brilliant. Really helpful and friendly. if you like to get yourself stuffed in the morning then you gonna like b-fast in this place. There is plants to choose from but there is no continental b-fast. Everything you are ordering from the menu including serial. Never tried diner at their restaurant but I've seems some good rewievs on that subject. Good to mention that I arrived at the hotel 20.55 and the kitchen staff finishes work at 21.00 but I'be been offered dinner which is nice. Room I stayed in was a single one and was just right for me. There is free of charge Wi-Fi avalible. Finishing if you are looking for good hotel for decent price with good food and grate staff this is your place.

• Stayed August 2012
Arbroath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I and my partner went for high tea at the taychreggan and we were so unhappy with the service delivered to us. We were not be going back again!

When we arrived we were given our tea and asked to choose our main meals. Once chosen we were asked if we wanted our toast first. In which we said yes, but to find that the second our meals were ordered they were in front of us before the toast arrived. The service of the food was served very quickly and you were unable to enjoy the mean or the decoration of the room BUT on the other side of the scale when you asked the waiters for a service they were extremely slow as I ordered a glass of wine...... I had finished my meal by the time it arrived back!!!!!!!!
.We asked for more toast after our meal which was delivered with no butter, plates or knife , when the cakes arrived there was again no clean plates given in which we ended up using the cup saucers as our plate.

Very rushed and un-relaxing

The room was not busy so there is no excuse of the staff being too busy If they were busy it was only because the owner of the hotel was sitting opposite us and so the staff running around after him and neglecting the customers.

You have to be 50+ to be treated with some respect here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed here while on business in Dundee.
Is a superb hotel. Had a single room which was lovely and perfect for my 1 night stay.
Had dinner in the hotel which was excellent. The breakfast was also superb.
Hopefully stay here again and bring my partner next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Went here for a night with my boyfriend and what a wonderful surprise it was. A very unassuming little place and doesnt look like much from the outside but dont let looks fool you. We had a beautiful room (number 7!) with amazing views. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We ate off the a la carte menu and it was one of the best meals ive had! The chef even cut my boyfriend a bigger steak!! Breakfast was awesome too!
Broughty Ferry is such a little treasure and the taychreggan hotel was the perfect place to stay!
I cant rate this hotel highly enough ... TOP CLASS !!

Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Went for lunch on Saturday to Taychreggan and the food and service was excellent. A varied menu with lots of choices and not expensive. Will certainly return as well as recommending it to friends and family.

Shropshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

The hotel is well appointed and the rooms with the views are nice, with high standards of cleanliness. The bathrooms are good, but I agree that the decor and finish of the bedrooms is slightly dated. The bar downstairs is excellent, I don't like whisky but if you do you will love the array of whiskies here! We haven't eaten here, but the breakfast is good and made from quality products. The breakfast room however, is also in need of updating and central heating. However, in spite of the dated look I would highly recommend the hotel and the staff are good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.