“Great value for money but noisy rooms at front of hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Travelodge Dundee Central
West Marketgait, Dundee DD1 1NJ, Scotland   |
Ranked #23 of 30 hotels in Dundee
Glasgow
“Great value for money but noisy rooms at front of hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our room had a double and 2 single pull out beds for the kids. Clean no frills and great value for money. If you are a light sleeper, make sure you ask for a quiet room at the back of the hotel. At the front you will have traffic noise and there is a nightclub just across from the front of the hotel. Drunk people having noisy fun/noisy arguments/fighting on the Friday and Saturday night, meant a sleepless night for us, although the beds were comfy.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dunstable, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Good central location and clean comfy rooms. Bathrooms clean and good hot water and excellent shower. Room over looked car park however and it was shared with the casino next door so was disturbed with noise from people leaving the casino once or twice. Also a car alarm going off in the car park.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had travelled up from Northampton by train. Bought a return ticket.

The night before departing I discovered my return train tickets had disappeared. Had no idea where they were. I had left them in my room when I went out in the day, pretty sure in my suitcase. But they'd disappeared meaning I had to pay for a brand new ticket at £77 to go back home.

Also was working on my MA dissertation up there and took all my notes. There was an essential document that I was sure I'd packed. Looked for it in the hotel room but couldn't find it. Was surprised but I thought I'd left it at home. When I got back home I couldn't find it anywhere. Am convinced I had taken it with me. I strongly suspect someone took it out of my folder sitting on the desk when I was out (probably along with my train tickets).

Not related to this, I was woken up early on Sunday morning by some drunk kid trying to get into my room using his key card.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

fife
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

On arrival had to wait for over 10 mins for someone to register us .having arrived we just wanted a quick book in. The wi fi did not work at all and contacted their provider and eventually was told it must be the hotel system. Heaven help you if you are computer illiterate as I was talked through pages of drop down menus only to then be told it was the hotel system. The key card does not work in the lift first time and only after umpteen tries works. If hotel advertises as having wi fi surely they should know when it goes down. the poor guy on reception tried as I thought it was me. He had no clue it was the system. very basic but room comfy. They guy on reception overworked and did try to be helpful. not his fault. Found out he finishes at 0100 and was back at desk by 0700. surely working hours being overlooked and illegal unless he agrees to working these hours

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Elgin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

central travel lodge dundee was great as ever. good for walking to the nearest pubs restaurants and ofcourse SHOPS..
Euan was in reception whenever we went downstairs in our 2 day stay, very friendly happy guy. good customer sevice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Bathgate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There's a lot about this hotel which is okay - if all you need is a room and a bed. Forget about a good night's sleep though - especially if your room faces the main road, which ours did.

Tell me, what is the point in investing lots of money in internal soundproofing and making sure guests don't disturb each other, when this is all let down by allowing in noise from the outside? ESPECIALLY when your hotel is situated on a main busy road?

The windows simply do not insulate the road/traffic noise, nor do they insulate the noise from vocal pedestrians/revellers at night, adding to the misery. That night was a special form of torture.

The whole point of purchasing a room and a bed, is so one can get a good night's sleep and feel rested and fresh the next morning - something which the main-road-facing rooms of this Travelodge fail spectacularly at.

The only reason I gave it a Poor rating rather than a Terrible rating, was the fact that the staff were helpful, courteous, and sympathetic.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Prestwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed here for a fortnight a few months ago on buisness and, overall, I'd suggest you take the rough with the smooth. Disappointingly, there were a few occassions I was woken up by the noise outside - the traffic noise can be bad, but it's the din that comes from the all-night casino and all-night gym on either side of the hotel that really grated. Sleep was impossible on a few of the nights too - they call it 'The Partylodge' for good reason. The cleaning staff didn't fully clean the room on several occassions either (and, more than once, I don't think they even bothered). Still, the rooms were spacious and airy, and the bed was surprisingly comfortable considering its a budget hotel. No real qualms about the price considering it's location either: just a few streets away from Caird Hall, The McManus Gallaries and the Overgate, amongst other local sites of interest. It'll do for a night or two, but I wouldn't promise you sleep.

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the centre of the building, and if you're in a room looking onto the casin...