“Unexpected night time visitor” 3 of 5 stars

Travelodge Dundee Central
West Marketgait, Dundee DD1 1NJ, Scotland   |
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Dundee
Dingwall, United Kingdom
“Unexpected night time visitor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Whilst asleep, a male member of staff entered the room; scaring my daughter and me witless! Asking for proof of booking NOT appropriate and told him to get out! He apologised but my sleep completely wrecked: noise from people passing meant I didn't know if they were going to be joining my daughter and me in the room.
On checking out reception staff aware of who we were and offered us a free breakfast box: we declined.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Mooball Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We booked this via phone whilst on the road and stayed one night in April. Without using SatNav it was very hard to find and tempers were frayed by the time we found the hotel and then could not locate the free parking - which turned out to be around the back, but you have to park in designated spots which could have been more helpfully numbered. Our room was very large and with so little furniture it looked odd, but it was quiet and overlooked part of the parking area. Due to the elongated shape of the room the TV was not opposite the bed but side-on, on a desk, which was a little awkward. Only one bath towel in the room for two of us, so another trip back to reception. The bed was extremely comfortable and usual good shower etc. Handily its located just around the corner from a little Tesco and a large takeaway shop so plenty of fast food choices. For £56 on a last minute booking this was quite good value but I do wish Travelodge would also put the street address on the confirmation that they email to you instead of having to go back to their website to find it again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Myself and my friends stayed here during the week as we were attending an event in the centre.
We had a nice welcome by a member of staff however that was the first and last time we encountered anyone at the desk until check out.
Our room was basic, which was all we needed. However the overpowering smell of airfreshener was enough to think it was covering up a previous unpleasant smell which was off putting. Our bedding was fairly clean however I did notice some dirt marks on them which again wasn't the best first impression. The beds were quite uncomfortable (particularly the pillows!) Which was the cause of an unpleasant sleep.
I would recommend this hotel for a night out but not for a relaxed stay!
Another thing I found disappointing was that they had no where to leave bags when leaving. I have stayed in a range of different hotels including the premier inn and its never been an issue. We were told bluntly that they have no where to put them and 'bye'. No plesant 'thank you' or 'have a nice day'. The first member of staff was nice however attitude of the second person summed up our stay.
Probably wont be back, would rather pay for a hotel further away than return.

• Stayed April 2014
Lanark, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I booked this hotel because it was close to the university where I was attending for a day long interview. I just wanted a room where I could get plenty of rest but this hotel couldn't provide that. The traffic noise was so loud it was as if the window was open - it couldn't have been any louder if I had slept in the middle of the road. I stayed at the end of March and it wasn't particularly cold outside, however, the room was freezing cold. The one tiny radiator next to window wasn't even hot enough to melt mercury and what little heat was being produced most probably went straight out of the poorly fitted window. Even if through the cold and noise I could've got some sleep, the bed would definitely play its part in stopping that happening. The mattress on the bed needed replacing, 12 months ago.

If you want a hotel that has luxurious facilities don't book here. If you just want a hotel with a bed to get a night's sleep then don't book here either.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Alma, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I have booked a block of rooms at Dundee Central, but I can not find if breakfast is served at this hotel. The on-line booking process makes it difficult to get answers to simple questions .Can anyone answer this question?

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge Dundee Central, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
We can confirm that all the relevant information is provided on our website Will N. Under each hotel page you will find a facilities tab which will inform you if our hotel has a Bar Café. We can advise that this particular hotel does not have a Bar Café restaurant however we do provide our customers the option to purchase a breakfast box which will have a selection of favourites which can be placed outside your door in the morning. Also due to the central location there will be a number of breakfast places nearby should you wish to purchase a cooked breakfast.
York, United Kingdom
1,077 helpful votes 1,077 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We booked a room here for three adults attending a University reunion over two nights in mid March. Having read some of the reviews, I was somewhat concerned by the recurring theme of guests experiencing a disturbed nights sleep; however, this was not too much of an issue for us.

Myself and one other arrived at around 3.30pm on Friday afternoon, and checked in without issue, and returned to the car park after getting the necessary parking pass - you also need to ensure that you park in the designated Travelodge area of the car park, as some areas are reserved for the nearby Casino, and the car park is patrolled by wardens, who will ticket your vehicle if it is parked in the wrong place.

Our room was a good size, with a double bed and two folding "camp beds", which whilst not particularly glamorous, were more than functional, and perfectly adequate for our needs. The room was clean, although for some reason, we had been left with only a single hand towel (no bath towels), and no toilet paper. However, the friendly gentleman working on reception quickly rectified this. All of the other facilities in the room were fine, although the television had an odd mix of channels, many of which were scrambled, surely in these days of Freeview, all of the usual channels could be provided. The bathroom was clean, with ample hot water, and a decent sized bath. Only a small bar of soap was provided, with no other toiletries etc. There were tea making facilities, but only two mugs and a frugal amount of tea/coffee/milk; with the room occupied and booked for three, a few more sachets wouldn't have gone amiss. The room was tidied and items restocked the next day while we were out, which was appreciated.

Internal security was good - the reception was staffed until 11pm, and clear instructions were given regarding access later at night; with the room keycards operating the lift, access to the front doors, stairwells etc. As our room did not face onto the street, we were not disturbed by revellers at the nearby nightclubs / Casino, even with the window open, (although I can verify that the manhole cover on West Marketgait at the front of the hotel is still rattling, which I noticed when walking down the road - although not a fault of the hotel, it is obviously an intrusion on those trying to sleep at the front of the premises). We were, however, disturbed about 3.30am on Saturday morning by some drunken men who were inserting their keycard into our door and trying to gain access, but were clearly confused in their inebriated state, and had gone to the wrong room - this did not faze me, but had there been a sole female occupying the room, it may have been rather unnerving.

All in all, I would stay here again, but would try to ensure I had a similarly positioned room to the one we had on this trip. A little more attention to detail from those stocking the rooms would also be welcomed; but in terms of value for money and convenient location, this hotel is more than adequate. It seems the main issue, and lowly TripAdvisor rating is due to external noise, otherwise it would no doubt be further up the gradings.

Room Tip: Request a top floor room, and one not facing the street (West Marketgait).
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I knew there was a possibility of some traffic noise, etc as this hotel is in the centre of Dundee, but I wasn't prepared for the unbearably loud behaviour of drunken guests until after 5 am. Didn't sleep a wink due to the shouting, banging of doors, screaming, wailing and laughter of my neighbouring guests. I was exhausted the next day and the only thing the staff member said was that I "might" get a discount on my next stay. I wasn't angry about my terrible stay, just very, very tired!

Think twice about staying at this Travelodge, as it is next door to a casino and in front of a nightclub.

Never again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

TravelodgeUK, Nicolas from Customer Services at Travelodge Dundee Central, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
We hope all our guests have a comfortable stay with us N381HJTinaC, so we are very sorry to learn of the level of noise you experienced in your room. We require a night staff member to patrol the hotel at night to ensure that a respectable level of noise from our other guests is maintained and we also try to reduce noise in our hotels by having insulated walls. Our Hotel Manager will be made aware of your concerns so these issues can be addressed and feedback provided to the staff at the hotel.

Been to Travelodge Dundee Central? Share your experiences!