“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Malmaison Dundee

Save Saved
You added Malmaison Dundee to your Saves list
Malmaison Dundee
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   44 Whitehall Crescent, Dundee DD1 4AY, Scotland   |
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I booked a package including dinner, bed and breakfast for my son and I (he is a student in Dundee). There are a few issues that I think are worth raising:

The hotel is in a very nice building and in a good, central location. The room was quite comfortable but much too dark with inadequate lighting – I had to use the torch on my phone to pack my case in the morning. I understand the ambience issue but there should be an option to make the room brighter.
I had to wait quite a long time to check in as there was only one receptionist and she was busy on the phone.
The service at dinner was absolutely atrocious. I booked a table for 8pm and it wasn't ready until nearly 9 o'clock. We were told to wait in the bar when we didn't really want to as I had work to do. By 1010 pm we had been served only one course and were still waiting for the main. I had the wrong drink delivered (500 ml of wine instead of 250) and we didn't get our meal finished until after 11pm. I was told that the restaurant was unusually busy but that is not my concern and they shouldn't take bookings if they can't cope and I would have thought that hotel guests should get priority.
I requested a 0645h alarm call but didn't receive it (fortunately I'd set my own alarm). I also asked for the continental breakfast in my room as I had to leave for Edinburgh airport and this didn't arrive either! I left my son to sleep and requested that all charges should be taken from my credit card which I used on check in. However, when he tried to check out they wouldn't let him and he had to phone my father to sort it out as he couldn't contact me. Furthermore they wouldn't give him breakfast and told him it wasn't included in the rate. It seems that I was still then charged 175 pounds.

I travel extensively all over the world and had assumed Malmaison was a good brand (I’ve stayed in the Glasgow and London hotels which were fine) so I was very surprised, even though I might expect some teething problems with a new hotel. It was supposed to be a treat for him before taking his final student exams and I am really disappointed. In fact I have never written a review on Tripadvisor before but had e-mailed the manager (Ms Lisa Croll) who didn't respond despite several attempts. I think this is absolutely deplorable service - I honestly have never experienced anything like it and would encourage others to be careful about staying here as they don't deserve your custom.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I am walking 500 miles from Scotland to the south coast (Brighton) and after my 1st day of walking up over Glen Ogilvy, part of the Glams estate, the beds were heaven sent. Soo comfy! Staff were excellent and the experience exceeded all expectations and would have rated higher if I could have!

• Stayed May 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Just had an evening with family at the Malmaison in Dundee - what a beautiful hotel, we had dinner, bed and breakfast and everything was spot on.The staff were excellent and could,not do enough. I've stayed at a few Malmaisons and Dundee is definitely one of the best. Great location too and the building has been respectfully and beautifully restored.

One tiny thing is - they could be more generous with their bathroom goodies!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I stayed here with a group of friends for 1 night last week. It is annoying not being able to park at the hotel even if the nearest car park is only a 5 minute walk away. Our rooms were all comfortable, although my bathroom was not as clean as it could have been. The bar staff were very friendly and helpful, even if the bar does feel a little soulless. The restaurant was nice, and my friends all had burgers which they loved. I had the prawn curry which lacked flavor. The staff again were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was continental was adequate, nothing too exciting. Would I stay again? Possibly as there are many other choices in Dundee.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Myself and husband (mr and mrs Newton) booked a large table for sat 10 may 2014 for a birthday meal for my husband. Firstly we were given a very warm welcome then taken to a private dining area (which we never booked). James was our main waiter and looked after our every needs. He was pleasant, professional and looked after all our needs. The food was excellent.

Also noted that Jack (our previous excellent waiter) remembered us and also looked after us. We were pleasantly surprised by our note at end of meal from jack wishing my husband a very happy birthday and some vouchers.

Yet again above and beyond in service, well done Jack.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Mintlaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Having stayed in Malmaison in Aberdeen we had an idea what to expect but Malmaison Dundee seems much more superior. (Perhaps because it is newly opened)
The staff were really friendly upon check in and we were pleased to hear we got upgraded to a club room. Much to our surprise we got a lovely card wishing us happy anniversary along with chocolate strawberries and champagne (part of our package)
Room 607 is lovely, only has a small window which we werent bothered about, huge bed, bathroom and fluffy bathrobes/towels.
Ordered room service at 10:30pm after a couple of cheeky cocktails in the bar which arrived in half an hour and it was Delish!
All in all we will definitely be making another booking! Well done Malmaison!! X

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Attended a Dinner and was very disappointed with the food. Lovely surroundings and service was mainly very good. Starters were fine but none of the main courses was up to much. They had clearly been sitting and had dried out. A number of people did not get either vegetables or potatoes, or both, because there were not enough. The sweets were also poor. Creme brulee was neither hot nor cold and pretty sloppy. The chocolate flan was dry and although there was one small jug of cream it was nowhere near enough for everyone who knew about it never mind those who did not This is the second time I have eaten in the Dundee Mal since it opened. Not sure there will be a third.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Malmaison Dundee? Share your experiences!