“Fantastic nights sleep.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Dundee
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Fantastic nights sleep.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Stayed for 1 night here with work. What a beautiful hotel! The staff were fantastic, the food was beautiful and I had the BEST nights sleep ever. The location is great for travelling (although the roadworks are a bit of a nightmare but these kinda things can't be helped) - loved the wee touch in the bathroom of the free Rubber Duck :) nice Elemis products too - gym facilities looked great (not that I actually used them like) too and there are Elemis propducts in there too. Loved this hotel and looking forward to coming back to see you all :D x

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Glasgow,UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

It was a warm summer evening the night I stayed here on business and probably because of all the external glass in the hotel, internally it was very,very warm -even with air con. Windows are restricted to only open a small bit so room was and remaned uncomfortably warm throughout the night.

Hotel staff in reception restaurant bar etc were all very polite, helpful and professional and although the room was warm it was clean and the bath shower was good.

we dined in the restaurant and although food was acceptable i couldn't say it was fantastic and some of the starter portion sizes were very small. Breakfast the next morning was good and both check in and check out worked well.

The large car park at the hotel is great as is its location for exploring Dundee i did not explore the spa and given the cost of the hotel i didn't feel that real value for money was achieved

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear macGlasgow_UK

We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience and I am sorry in this case we fell short. For that I apologize. We do not have air conditioning in our rooms and for the inconvenience it caused you, I am sorry. I will also review your comments with regards to our Food & Beverage Outlets with my team.

Thank you again , and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon and appreciate your business and feedback.

Yours sincerely,
Stuart Grant - General Manager
aberdeen scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed here recently to celebrate our friends 50th birthday. 3 of us shared a city room which is supposed to be their most basic, but we were very pleased with it. It was roomy, nicely decorated with all the facilities we needed and very clean. Plenty white fluffy towels and even a decent hairdryer!
On arrival the staff were friendly and attentive. There was a wedding going on and plenty guests in the open plan reception lounge/bar area, but nothing too noisey.
We managed to get a very reasonable D/B&B package incl free use of the spa facilities.
We were most impressed with our dinner, the food was very tasty and really well presented and again the staff were friendly and efficeint. The restaurant was very busy and we assumed some of them were not staying but just there to sample the excellent food.
The spa facilites are good and thankfully for us were not busy.
The hotel is near the waterfront in a regenerated area and provides nice views from the comfy reception/lounge area, where you can grab a coffee or drink. It is an easy short walk into town where there are plenty, bars, cafes and shops. Taxis are pretty cheap too.
A big thanks to the Apex team for providing an enjoyable experience, especially the chefs for the yummy food. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Grantham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I stayed here for one night and during the night there was a "disturbance" with police needing to attend.

It was 4am and police and their eventual prisoner were not quiet at all, no criticism but it just ruined a good nights sleep. No chance of returning to sleep in this v light time of year!

I mentioned it at reception and the real measure of a good establishment is how they deal with issues, I received a cursory "sorry" which doesn't go down in my book as dealing with it very well!

It has put me off a little bit, and now I am due to be in Dundee a lot more and there are more hotels to choose from I will possibly try another one where staff training has been carried out better to ensure staff realise they need to value their customers!

A pity really, because in so many ways as per my previous review from a few years back, this hotel ticks most of the boxes!

Dundee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Had a wonderful Pedicure at the YuSpa within this Hotel......Natalie my Therapist was absolutely fantastic! Such a lovely girl to go along with my lovely treat....i'll definitely be back!! would highly recommend a treatment during anyone's stay!

• Stayed June 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic hotel great staff reasonable food prices without excessive tray charges for room service...brilliant. Initially my company had booked me into a different hotel where I usually stay at the Apex I had a terrible experience at a nearby hotel and the Apex managed to accommodate me last minute and due to my bad experience upgraded me to a suite to make my stay more special this was fantastic and just what I needed

• Stayed June 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here for our 6 year anniversary.

Location was excellent, we taxied from the train station to the hotel, but really you could walk if you research the route before hand. Taxi was only a couple of quid. We visited the Meat House in town on the first night - amazing!, which was another taxi then on Saturday we took a walk into town. 10 minute taxi ride to Broughty Ferry which is worth a visit for the Tapas Bar there.

Right, on to the hotel itself! As I'd read on here, outside wasn't much to look at but inside was very luxurious. Room was of a good size and all looked newly refurbished. My only annoyance was although we'd had a view over the water and lovely floor to ceiling windows, for the whole of our stay there was massive bits of bird poop! Understandably, this cannot always be helped but I would imagine this would be a problem most of the year and so perhaps in the Summer they could get the windows washed every second day as and when needed as it was not very pleasant.

Bar was nice, as was gym and spa area. Only disappointment was that both jacuzzis were broken whilst we were there and I was very much looking forward to relaxing in one! Pool was a lot smaller than it looked in the photos and so therefore filled up very quickly. Also encountered two men who were intent on shouting across both the gym and the pool area to each other. They seemed to know the staff so I'm guessing they're regulars but it did take away from the relaxing atmosphere.

Anyway, these were only little points I thought I would mention. My only real annoyance was the time it took for the rooms to be made up. Our floor didn't seem to have many rooms yet we had around 3 members of staff and their trolleys, working on the floor from 8am - 5pm. We put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door overnight which we then removed before going down for breakfast. We spent a good hour at breakfast, and returned to the room in the same state as we had left it. We then went for a saunter round the town, only to return at about 3pm and the room still be the same. This made it very hard to do anything, I didn't want to get changed in case they came in, didn't want to get comfy on the bed etc, it was very hard to relax. Finally, on returning to the room after the spa, at around 6pm, the bed had been made!

Breakfast was good although slightly expensive, might be getting taking a walk into town and get the same thing for about £13 cheaper! Also - no square sausage!!

However, overall, it was a great stay, nice clean hotel, comfy bed and friendly staff. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Dundee. Also, you can have room service right through the night, which is excellent for an after dancing munch!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!