“Excellent Facilities” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Excellent Facilities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed at this hotel some time ago and booked the suite I think they call it the executive room. To be honest it was much more than what we expected. It was like a small apartment minus the kitchen thats it. A small hallway spacious living and dining room and through the double doors to our main room that was a good size. We had family that cam eover as we were only stopping 2 nights but with even 8 people in the room there was still space for more. It was perfect as no one needed to go into our bedroom as there was a separate WC for guests. Reminded me of rooms you get abroad. To be fair it was the highest spec room and I only booked this as a one off. Normally go for a cheaper room. But worth the extra pennies. 2 sinks a shower a huge bath tub all in one. Was something else. Defo recommended. Lastly the view was a beaut. You overlook the city Quay and at night its real nice.

Room Tip: Choose the Exec Room if an option.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Arfan K

It was a great pleasure to read your review of the Apex Hotel Dundee and I was pleased to read that you found our facilities excellent.

The room that you were allocated is one of our Master Suites and they do command fantastic views of the Quay and beyond, and are worth every penny.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Apex Dundee in the future.

Stuart Grant - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stopped here for the first time after the Hilton closed which I used regularly and was very satisfied with.I have not used Apex hotels before.
It is centrally located (like the Hilton was) and handy both for getting to and for walking in to the city.
I had quite high expectations as the web site put a 'quality' spin on it.The decor was contemporary but I found it very run of the mill. The menus and food were ok but again I found them very run of the mill.
The staff were fine all round and I could not take issue with reception, bar or resturaunt service.
I could not help feel though that this is a decent three star as opposed to a good four star and would summarize as ok all round but not remarkable and in my mind 'run of the mill'
Would I use it again? yes because it was ok, convenientley located and, probably in the absence of new competition as good as anywhere in the immediate area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear LancashireIan

Thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor following your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to read about your perception of our hotel. As you can see from previous reviews, we usually receive high levels of praise from our guests. Please accept my apologies for our failure to meet your expectations.

Should you wish to discuss this further then please feel free to contact me on the e-mail address below where I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to demonstrate the high levels of hospitality that many of our guests do recognise us for.

Yours sincerely
stuart.grant@apexhotels.co.uk
cardiff, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights as part of a tour of Scotland. Don't think we would come to Dundee again but if we did we would definitely use this hotel again. Friendly helpful staff throughout the hotel, large comfortable room (executive room) with a nice view of the quay. Food in restaurant first class. Yu spa good value and excellent treatments.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear steve c

I am delighted that you stopped off at Dundee on your tour of Scotland and chose our hotel as a base for your tour of Dundee and Angus.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased that your visit met your expectations from the food in Metro Restaurant to the friendliness and professionalism of our staff, and the treatments you had in Yu Spa.

Please do remember to visit us again if you are back in Dundee.

United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Recently stayed the night here and I am sad to say, it was not as good as my previous stay.
The hotel is starting to look slightly run down in the rooms and sadly, it is just not worth the price asked anymore.

I paid almost £100 for my room and it was shabby, the bathroom had broken pieces of wood, the noise was unbelievable from the housekeeping staff, the fridge over heated and melted the free snacks. Just all in all not what I would expect for my money. The pillows were really flat and uncomfortable, the life had completely gone out of them.

On a good note, the bed was very comfortable and the front desk staff were very helpful and nice.
The view from my room was nice too.

I have raised these concerns directly with the hotel as part of customer feedback, but was never replied to. I will probably go to West Port Apartments as they are of better quality and the same price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lola H

Thank you for posting your comments on this site following your recent stay with us.
I really am very sorry to hear that your recent stay was not as enjoyable as your previous experience back in December. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment caused and be assured that I have taken on board your comments and shared them with my team.

I have e-mailed you under separate cover and I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to demonstrate the high levels of hospitality that many of our guests do recognise us for.

Yours sincerely
Troon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed here last night between meetings. Great location.
Staff very helpful and pleasant.
Good sized room and nice design.
Great views of Scott's RSS Discovery.

Had dinner at hotel with 40 colleagues. Service was fine but food was fairly average.
Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Much improvement on last hotel in Dundee. On this occasion... "don't sleep in the car".

Dear Steve B

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed our great hotel in Dundee and that you enjoyed the views of the RSS Discovery.

Thank you once again and we very much look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Dundee.

Halkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was at a conference held at the Hotel and the whole experience was amazing, every member of staff was pleasant and helpful, from the cleaners to the desk and the waiting staff. From the arrival through a maze of roadworks the hotel was an oasis of calm, I arrived very very early but that didn't stop them from finding me a room and letting me unwind. The room was lovely relaxing and very smart, the bathroom wonderful! The kitchen catered for the conference so we got to taste the bar/cafe for lunch and then the evening meal, which was just right, enough to be full but not so much as you felt you had to finish it. The staff were attentive at all times but not obtrusive, and quick to help if you asked. Over all this was a wonderful place to stay and I will be going back again in the future.

Dear Ruan P

Thank you very much for your kind comments following your recent conference stay with us and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our wonderful venue and had an amazing experience.

Thank you again, and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,
Dunfermline
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel one night for a training weekend & recommended it to a friend for her 40th Birthday celebrations. We stayed Fri 31st May - Sun 2nd June. 5 of us stayed for 2 nights & 5 of us stayed for the Sat night (making 10 of us in total on the Sat) I was disappointed that there was no deal or reduction offered to the person making the bookings given the size of the party on the Sat night however we all shared rooms to reduce our costs. It cost 3 of us £75 each for 2 nights in the Deluxe double double room for example.

The use of the spa facilities was brilliant. On the Sat the hot tubs were not working however staff spent the majority of the day trying to get them up & running. Also on the Sat a friend had requested a change of bedding due to allergies (duvet & pillows were feathers) from the previous night & the bed was changed within 10 minutes - brilliant service & very friendly staff member. The spa has a steam room, sauna, small pool & 2 hot tubs. It was never over busy no matter what times we visited & families, couples & single persons used it.

We only ate lunch at the hotel but it was all ok if a bit overpriced. Drinks were also quite pricey however that's the same with most hotels.

Our only niggle was the temperature of the room. It was warm enough walking along the corridor to the room but the room itself was awful. Even with the window open as wide as it could go there was limited ventilation. During the day we tried to stay out the room as much as possible as with the 3 of us in it it quickly heated up & became stuffy. During the night it was unbearable & all 3 of us struggled to sleep in the heat. Although Scotland may not need air conditioning as a general rule this hotel could benefit from it in it's bedrooms!!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms have a fridge & robes included for the spa.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear V G

Thank you very much for taking the time to your review your stay with us, and I was pleased to hear that you and your friends had an enjoyable stay with us. I have passed your comments over to our housekeeping department who are particularly pleased to read about the brilliant service that you received from them.

Our prices for the dishes on our menu’s and in the bar are very competitive are very much in line with other hotels of our rating. I was sorry to hear that you were a little uncomfortable due to the heat but we do not have air-conditioning in our rooms.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Stuart Grant - General Manager

Been to Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!