“Our experience of the Doubletree Hilton, Dundee” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kingsway West, Dundee DD2 5JT, Scotland (Formerly The Landmark Dundee)   |
Special Offer
Spring Saver Offer
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Dundee
Certificate of Excellence 2014
aberdeen
“Our experience of the Doubletree Hilton, Dundee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We booked the Doubletree Hilton through Easybreaks because we have stayed at Hilton hotels previously, their Tripadvisor ratings, their leisure facilities and because of the distance we had to travel for a relaxing weekend. When we arrived in October we were asked to meet with Laura, Group Conference and Events Manager. Unfortunately, for reasons we still do not know, the hotel was overbooked and they could not accommodate us. There was a very slight moment when we began to feel angry about this situation. However, very quickly upon meeting Laura, we realised the hotel were doing their best to facilitate our weekend.

The hotel had booked us into the Rusacks Hotel in St Andrews. This hotel is also a 4 star, not a Hilton but a MacDonalds. During our discussion I expressed my upset that the Rusacks did not have leisure facilities. However they facilitated our return to use the Doubletree's facilities.

If I had never made an error or mistake in my working life I might have been a wee bit annoyed at not being able to stay in Dundee that weekend. However, upon realising they did everything they could do to remedy the situation we were happy.

Now we had two hotels to leave feedback on. The Rusacks in St Andrews was a really good hotel. Their 3 rosette restaurant food was indeed really lovely. Our highlight though was having breakfast overlooking the Golf Course, an experience we had not encountered before. So thank you Doubletree Hilton for that. The breakfast food however was just ok.

The staff at Doubletree Hilton cannot be faulted. Their customer training programme must be extensive and I would say to the Hilton please look after the staff you have. Whatever you are looking for in a relaxing weekend break this for us is perfect. Breakfast was super, being able to help ourselves to more than one piece of bacon, mushroom etc which was offered at the Rusacks. You have more than compensated us for the mishap of overbooking. We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeDundee, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear belle1Aberdeen,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a Trip Advisor comment. We value your comments and they will be passed onto the rest of the team so that they know how much their efforts were appreciated, especially with Lauren our GC&E manager.

We strive to meet and indeed exceed guest expectations and I am very sorry to hear of the problems you experienced during your stay with regards to the outbooking. I apologise for your experience with this however I am delighted to learn that you had a great breakfast experience at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee and that the service of our staff was above expectations.

If you wish to contact me further please do not hesitate to do so. In the meantime I am pleased to hear that you will be recommending our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee in the near future.

Richard Ellison,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Pro points warm welcome, free cookie which was a nice touch. Free wifi which is a refreshing change. Food in the restaurant was tasty. Staff at breakfast were charming. Then the bad point from 10pm the radiator in the room banged and clanged until past 1am! In the morning informed reception to which they said oh sorry about that we will inform maintenance.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
DoubletreeDundee, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear ATW2013,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a Trip Advisor comment and for providing us with your valued feedback. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee recently.

We take great pride in meeting and indeed exceeding our guest's expectations. I apologise for the issues you had with the radiator in your room however I am pleased to learn that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. I will make sure to pass on your comments to the rest of the team so that they know that their efforts were appreciated.

If you wish to contact me further please do no hesitate to do so. In the meantime I look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee in the near future.

Camberley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I had booked this hotel back in August for the sole reason that it was the most suitably located for a family event which we were attending (I have stayed here before and not appreciated their customer service!). At the end of September I spotted that the leisure suite was to be shut for the period of our stay and I cancelled, changing my booking to the Apex. Unfortunately there was a mix up through our booking agent and we had to stay at the Double Tree for one night – it was appalling. Our two tiny rooms were on the ground floor close to the leisure centre (or should I say building site) which resulted in my husband being unable to carry out an important business call at 9am. It also resulted, I am quite certain, in setting off the emergency alarm. I was also extremely concerned that the staff were not telling people to evacuate and that it was normal for the alarm to be tested on a Tuesday morning – just not until 2 hours later.
However it was the rooms that were the main problem. My daughter was allocated a disabled room with pull chords at the side of the bed and in the bathroom. Yes – bathroom in a disabled room? All night a beep came from the alarm system every hour and the lights flashed continuously. When I checked in I requested another room for her but was informed that there were none available. Our room was dark to the point that we used our flashlight apps on our mobile ‘phones to read. The bed had a roll to the middle mattress and I could write my name in the dust on the bedside table. The wardrobe had an ironing board in it which we had to remove to enable us to hang up our clothes. There was one water glass, nowhere in the bathroom other than the floor to place toiletries and the toilet roll holder was loose. To conserve energy there was the usual ‘re-use towels’ policy which is fine – if there is somewhere to hang your towels. There was one hook which swivelled if we hung anything on it.
Breakfast was minimal. However the ladies in the breakfast room were their usual cheery selves – they are the one good thing about this hotel. It is miles out of the town and you need a car to get anywhere
Hilton took over this hotel when they lost the Earl Grey down at the waterfront and they have yet to make their mark on it. It is definitely not what one would expect from this hotel chain.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear CamberleyNel,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a TripAdvisor comment and for providing us with your valued feedback. It is through such constructive criticism that we are able to improve the service which all of our guests receive. I am disappointed to learn that you were less than satisfied with your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee recently.

We take great pride in meeting and indeed exceeding our guest's expectations. I apologise for the inconvenience caused from the noise from the leisure club whilst work was being carried out and for the issues you had with your room. However I am delighted to learn that you were more than satisfied by the service provided by our breakfast staff. I will make sure to pass on your comments to the team so that they know how much you appreciated their efforts.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me further. I look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee in the near future.

Carcassonne, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Arrived at this hotel on a dreich dreich dreich day. Absolutely awful weather. Reception very friendly and welcoming , room was beautifully appointed , boutique style. Excellent bathroom / shower and toilet.Comfy bed and sofa , felt more like a suite! Good TV , wifi everywhere. Sadly pool was busy because of the atrocious weather , too small to make use of if you want to swim lengths.

Food and drink good, although a standard menu salad with anchovies seemed to be out of the question , so chicken and croutons pitched up instead. No big deal , but tinned anchovies shouldn't be that difficult eh? Fire alarm half way through meal , so had to leave the restaurant, came back to cold food. Not sure if we should have got some kind of reduction in price? Nothing offered anyway! Would I recommend it? Yes! Especially if you have no reason to go into Dundee centre for the evening, it's very handy for getting in and out of Dundee towards Perth , Edinburgh , North etc. Close to main routes.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeDundee, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Scousedriver,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor and for providing us with your valued feedback. I am delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your recent stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee.

We take great pride in meeting and indeed exceeding guest's expectations and your comments will be shared with the rest of the team so that they know that their efforts were appreciated. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused from the fire alarm but I am also delighted to learn that you will be recommending our hotel to others!

If I could be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me and in the meantime I look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee in the future.

Yours Sincerely,
Bicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here for two nights, we also dined in the conservatory for one evening. The stay was superb, we were warmly greeted and the hotel was well appointed, in a lovely setting. The staff were outstanding, always helpful and very attentive, happy to give extra were possible. Dining, the food was excellent, a pleasant surprise and a good atmosphere, intimate, with a good wine selection. The rooms were well appointed and we would definitely recommend and almost certainly make a return visit.

Room Tip: Higher 200 rooms, would have a good view.
Dear eps77,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a Trip Advisor comment and to leave us with your valued feedback. I was delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your recent stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee.

We take great pride in meeting and indeed exceeding our guest's expectations. I am very happy to hear that our staff went the extra mile and made your stay one to remember. I shall make sure to pass on your comments to our staff so that they know their efforts were appreciated.

I am also delighted to learn that you will be recommending our hotel. If I can be of any further assistance please to do not hesitate to contact me and in the meantime we look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee in the future.

Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Booked through Hotel Connexions in mid-September for a 2night stay at Doubletree by Hilton Dundee, covering 18-20 October as we were attending the blessing/wedding reception of a family member.
All was well with my wife & I having left County Durham early morning, having spent the day travelling up through Gretna Gateway & Glasgow for some retail therapy and food along the way so we arrived at 9pm very much looking forward to getting to our room & settling in for a weekend spent with friends & family which was meant to start by meeting friends of ours in the DCA for drinks as soon as we were booked in to the hotel.
Oh how our world caved in as soon as we gave the pleasant receptionist our name - told immediately that there was literally "no room at the inn", that the hotel had been in touch with Hotel Connexions it was their fault & not the hotel's that we were not staying there as planned & that Hotel Connexions should have contacted us about the change in arrangements - which were - that we were to go & stay 2 nights at Rusacks Hotel in St Andrews - we complained & explained that with the blessing/wedding reception being in Dundee & my family & friends still living in Dundee this was why we had booked this hotel in Dundee & not one in St Andrews. A group of 4 behind us were waiting to be booked in & while the receptionist was still saying to us we had to go to St Andrews another member of staff proceeded to book in the other group with no sign of any problem doing so. We were told we would have dinner on arrival in St Andrews & the following evening - we had eaten in Glasgow prior to travelling to Dundee & we were attending the blessing/reception at 6pm on the Saturday so dinner was to be of no use to us either night!! Due to inclement weather & some heavy traffic we were not in our room in St Andrews until after 10pm so no meet up with friends in the DCA.
Saturday morning after breakfast I rang the Doubletree to complain about our treatment - to be told that we could now stay the Saturday night & we could book in as soon as we got over there.
We had meant to be visiting relatives on the Saturday morning as I do not get many opportunities across the year to get "home" to see everyone - this time now had to be taken up by travelling back from St Andrews & finally getting checked in to the Doubletree.
Sunday we had breakfast then returned to County Durham.
I contacted Hotel Connexions - they knew nothing of our problems & they started their own investigation
I tried contacting the Hotel but was put through to Hilton Guest Services based in the USA - 3 days later we received an unsatisfactory response from the hotel via email
I responded to this email & await a response to it
Upon further investigation on my Hilton Honors account no points were added for our stay despite being promised by both receptionists we encountered that they would be
What should have been a relaxing catch up with friends & shared celebrations with family just turned into a night mare of hassle grief & unnecessary problems due to a hotel overbooking itself - something which in reading other comments on here is sadly not a first either
We will be thinking carefully as to where we stay upon our next visit to see friends/family as my wife is more than concerned by the way we were treated
So be warned !!

Room Tip: be wary about staying here in the 1st place - unless you want a nice view in St Andrews instead!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeDundee, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear ScottSpain,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor comment and for providing us with your valued feedback. It is through such constructive criticism that we are able to monitor and so improve the service we offer all of our guests. I am sorry to hear that your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Dundee was less than satisfactory.

We take great pride in meeting, and indeed exceeding, our guests’ expectations and your comments will be shared with our team. I apologise for the problems you experienced with the hotel regarding your outbooking.

If you wish to discuss the problem further or if I could be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Doubletree by Hilton Dundee in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Travelling to Dundee for work, this hotel was a very pleasant surprise. Nestled on the outskirts of Dundee, just off the Perth Road, and with topiary gardens, it is a lovely place to stay after and between a days worksheet
The bar area is informal and stylish and flows into a pleasant, informal dining area. A patio area with tables and chairs is accessible from the bar and provides a nice place to sit beside the gardens. The bedroom was was well enough furnished and although quite small it was adequate. However, the room was far too hot. The swimming pool, although small is fine for a quick dip and chill out. Breakfast in the lovely conservatory dining room was served by pleasant and attentive staff. - I opted for the full cooked breakfast and it was very good.

This is a good hotel, in a great location, with some very nice facilities.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kayjaysea,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor comment and for providing us with your valued feedback. I was delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your stay here with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee recently and that our team was very attentive and helped to make your stay a pleasant one.

We take great pride in meeting, and indeed exceeding, our guests’ expectations and your comments will be shared with our team so that they know how much you appreciated their efforts.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee in the near future and, in the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do let me know.

Richard Ellison,

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee? Share your experiences!