“Not bad for a three star” 4 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Invercarse Hotel
371 Perth Road, Dundee DD2 1PG, Scotland   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
The Highlands
“Not bad for a three star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed overnight as we attended a wedding in Dundee. The staff weren't particularly friendly but efficient. The room was small but clean, warm and comfortable. We could hear everyone that passed by in the corridor but fortunately people were reasonably considerate. Breakfast was excellent and a we had a lovely view over the River Tay. We would return and wished we'd booked an extra night.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Livingston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I attended a Ladies Luncheon in October and had chosen to stay overnight with a group of friends. I wasn't sure what to expext as Dundee never fails to disappoint me. I was pleasantly surprised to find a lovely hotel that I would recommend to anyone. The quality of the food and service at the function was excellent (which is more than can be said for the speeches!)

The rooms were spacious, spotlessly clean and had an extremely comfortable bed. The staff throughout the hotel were friendly and always helpful and contributed to a pleasant atmosphere in the hotel

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Ballater
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We went for lunch with my wife and mother. My mother and I chose the fish and chips, my wife the Sea Bass. Our meals were fine but my wife was shocked when her main course arrived to see a piece of fish no bigger than 1 inch by 2 inches! Two or three small mouthfuls! She asked the waitress if it was a main course. When returned to the kitchen they seemed to feel this portion size was OK!

The waitress did deal with it well but the chef should think hard about this. We saw other tables getting two much larger pieces on a plate. Had they run out?

Think carefully about what you choose from the menu!

The hotel should thank the waitress, had it not been for her the score would have been lower!

Stayed October 2013
MartinaKidd, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Invercarse Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent Lunch at the Hotel.

I apologise that your Seabass was a small portion.

I was pleased to read that the waitress dealt with it well.

Thank you for bring this matter to my attention as it allows us to review and improve our services.

Fowey, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I had a brief overnight visit - the rooms were roomy , clean and comfortable.
The staff were friendly and helpful - even when I arrived later than the closing time for the kitchen. I thought that it was going to be a barn of a place, with the pictures of wedding receptions , but in reality it had a lot of atmosphere and the bar and restaurant were well appointed.

Add to that ancestral links to HMS Victory - seemingly one of the sailors to serve on Victory in 1805 died in 1878 in what would become the hotel later.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.

I'm pleased you enjoyed the atmosphere of the Hotel. We do strive to ensure staff make our guests stay as comfortable as possible.

Dundee, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is a nice enough hotel with pleasant staff and we actually dine here fairly regularly as it's close to where we live. We do however always find the menu very dated, very traditional dishes, like you'd find on a 1970s menu. This often means that there are very little healthier options on the menu; tonight's healthier option was 'cold meats and salad' - hardly inviting for Sunday dinner at the end of October. We do accept however that the hotel is probably catering for the majority of its customers who are generally older and are probably very satisfied with the menu choices. If you're looking for traditional, basic dishes then this is fine but we'd certainly appreciate a bit more imaginative and modern options.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MartinaKidd, Manager at BEST WESTERN Invercarse Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. Your comments are important to us as it makes us revisit areas to see how it can be improved.

Kind Regards

Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Went to a wedding reception here last month. Outstanding food and lovely venue. Liked it so much so when we were in Dundee on business last week, we decided to book in here. Room was cosy and clean. No bath but a good powerful shower in the bathroom. Buffet breakfast was great although no beans! Things like Stornoway black pudding, potato scones, great pork and herb sausages filled us up. There was also loads of fruit, croissants and yogurts. Only problem was the toaster which wasn't set properly and kept setting off the fire alarm!

The staff were really friendly and cheery. No dour faces here. Great stuff. It's not luxury but it does the job.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MartinaKidd, Manager at BEST WESTERN Invercarse Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the Invercarse Hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

The toaster setting is now fixed.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Me and my family were here for a meal, we decided on this venue because my brother was married here earlier this year.
Everything about the meal was disappointing. We were seated at a table right beside the till and service station, so could hear all of the personal conversations between staff. No one offered to take our jackets so we had to just put them on the seats beside us. No staff member offered us drinks, I had to ask to order some whilst we waited for my brother and his wife to arrive. Drinks were brought quickly, but no water was offered. We ate on a Sunday but for some reason I was given Saturdays specials menu and was then told that I could not have the main course I had decided on. My brothers wife and I both ordered the pâté to start. This was tasty enough, however hers was 3 times the size of mine and it was served with one little dot of chutney and just toast, no salad garnish or anything. I then had the sea bass from the restaurant menu for my main course. This was merely an acceptable starter portion. A piece of fish on a bed of rocket, not anywhere close to a substantial main course portion and the Parmesan advertised as part of the dish on the menu was absent. My brothers wife had ordered the Caesar salad as a main course portion, this was delivered to her in two large jars with a plate for her to dish it out herself, not exactly hotel standard. After my bite size starter and small main course I decided to have the cheese platter as a dessert. This was well presented but my mother also ordered this and again the portion size of hers was much larger than that of mine. (Was someone trying to tell me something...?) At one point during our meal 4 out of 5 of us had finished our drinks and were not offered another, eventually I had to ask again. I wanted to tell the waitress about my disappointing sea bass but she did not ask how the meal was or do any check backs so an opportunity did not rise in which to tell her. We sat with dirty dessert plates and empty glasses once again whilst the staff reset the restaurant for breakfast, a task obviously more important than serving the guests who were in the restaurant at the time. We were going to stay for a few more drinks but decided against it due to these problems and went to another nearby hotel instead. The waiting staff were polite, but in a hotel with this rating I feel I should have more positive feedback to give.

Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent meal at the Invercarse.

I sincerely appologise that the meal and service were not up to our usual standard.

These issues are being investigated internally to prevent any reoccurance.

Thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Kind Regards

Director

Been to BEST WESTERN Invercarse Hotel? Share your experiences!