“Lovely Food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 287 Restaurants in Dundee
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: If you want to enjoy fresh quality food in a typical Italian family-style atmosphere, Ciao Sorrento is the place for you. Ciao Sorrento prides itself on using ingredients bought daily and prepared to an extremely high, consistent standard. Consistency is the key word. The food is always the same, excellent. It never varies or drops below this proudly maintained level. It doesn't matter whether you opt for pasta, fish, chicken or steak the dish never fails to hit the high spot. You always know you're going to be served with top quality food cooked to the highest level.
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Staff very friendly and helpful. Food was delicious, if you love pizza and pasta this is the place to be!
I would reccommend this to everyone apart from families, this is a place for couples or grown ups. Staff were very good with my children but the menu and prices are not so appealing for your pocket if you have children!
Will visit again when i have a sitter :-)

Visited June 2013

Scotland, United Kingdom
“Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had an itison voucher. The food was good, not excellent, but good. The service was brilliant. The restaurant is quite outdated and was empty apart from one other table. Was a good deal we had, so would go back if they run another offer.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Roscommon
“Good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I dont know what the begrudgers are about! We had a beautiful evening in this restaurant, the service was attentive, the food was excellent and very good value, the white wine was one of the best I have tasted and I am assured the red one was too, I loved it and would go back again!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Vastly overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I booked this restaurant for a group of sixteen, based on the recommendation of a native Dundonian and decent reviews on Tripadvisor. I left it feeling somewhat embarrassed following one of the worst-value meals I've had. First impressions weren't good – tired, dated decor; little atmosphere; stain-splattered menus – and they weren't improved by the shocking-quality plonk served in carafes along the table: I only tried the (execrable) red, though I gather the white was drinkable. I ordered lasagne – a safe choice in a bad, 80s-style restaurant I felt – and so it proved to be: heavy on stringy cheese, light on meat but edible, if of inferior quality to a low-grade supermarket ready meal. What was truly astonishing though was the price – £10.50, for something you wouldn't pay more than a fiver for in a rundown cafe in London, and a couple of pounds for in a supermarket. Even more astonishing were the prices charged for secondi piatti – around £19–23. You would expect fresh, good-quality ingredients and some panache in the presentation for these prices – far from what was on offer. Needless to say the £6 desserts were generally poorly received by fellow diners as well.
I have to confess to living in London, where the dining scene is obviously broader and general quality (of the best places) perhaps inevitably higher. But what truly shocked me about Ciao Sorrento was the massive disparity between price and quality. The good people of Dundee are being ripped off!
A quick shout-out for the Eastern European staff, who were friendly and efficient, but overall I'm afraid this seemed to me a dismal place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Joanna M, Owner at Ciao Sorrento, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Edward646,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.Every feedback is important to us.Iam really sorry to hear it ,that You didnt enjoy the whole experience at Ciao Sorrento.I remember your party very well.During the meal I ve asked many times if everything is okey, and everybody was smiling and happy.Ive heard very positive comments during and after the meal,many people turn back to the kitchen with compliments to the chef and staff.
I would like to assure you Sir ,that our lasagne is homemade,always fresh ,using real beef from a local butcher.Is actually our bestseller.Cheese is always optional.Open kitchen is able to show customers ,what we deliver.Our house wine,,both from Veneto Merlot and Verduzzo are served in handmade carafes-specially made for us in south Italy by artisan.The are unique and usually people love them.Above all the party left giving us a very good impression,nobody complain,the plaits was empty and people happy.If I knew was something to fix I would of fix it.
Iam really sorry we didnt meet your expectations Sir ,perhaps maybe you give us another chance in the future?
Ciao Sorrento is always welcome everyone, who is looking for good homemade food with passion and service with a smile.
I wish you all the best
Kindest Regards
Joanna Milano
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The atmosphere is always lovely in this wee Italian. The staff are extremely helpful and the food is fantastic. Perfect for a quiet meal.

• Visited April 2013