“Nice restarunt” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: If you want to enjoy fresh quality food in a typical Italian family-style atmosphere, Ciao Sorrento is the place for you. Ciao Sorrento prides itself on using ingredients bought daily and prepared to an extremely high, consistent standard. Consistency is the key word. The food is always the same, excellent. It never varies or drops below this proudly maintained level. It doesn't matter whether you opt for pasta, fish, chicken or steak the dish never fails to hit the high spot. You always know you're going to be served with top quality food cooked to the highest level.
“Nice restarunt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I really enjoy going to this place, traditional atmosphere decent food, it feel like an authentic Italian restaurant, it is a bit pricy but worth it.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

dundee scotland
“Worst restaurant I have been to in a long time - food and service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Went here on a Friday night with friends and wished I hadn't bothered. Ordered a sirloin steak - didn't have any which cancelled out half the beef options. Was told I could have a fillet steak which I said I didnt want - not flavourful enough for me and way too expensive (as indeed was the sirloin - only marginally cheaper). Response from waitress - our steaks are cheapest in town (not true) if you don't want to pay look at the chicken it is cheaper! If I had been only with my husband I would have walked out at that stage but as I was on a night out with friends I don't see very often I didn't want to make a scene so ignored her comments. I ordered soup and a pasta dish. Soup was ok - wasn't served with bread of any sort - waitress said I could buy garlic bread if I wanted bread. As this would have pushed the price up to ridiculous for a bowl of soup I declined. My pasta dish could have come out of a tin! Pasta was over over cooked and the sauce had no flavour other than that provided by the odd bits of bacon found under the pasta. The portion size was very small however in this case the offering was so poor it didn't really matter. I have made better pasta dishes rushing in from work to provide a quick family tea. My friends - two vegetarian - all had starters and main courses. Felt it was ok at best but again portions very small - had to buy bread to make it reasonable. All agreed food is way overpriced for what it is.
After main courses we asked for "space" before looking at the dessert menu to allow us time to chat and relax as much as we could - it is not a comfortable restaurant as too many tables and chairs in a small space - if you are on the outside you have to keep pulling your chair in to let the waitresses by. Waitress did not seem happy but agreed though she came back very smartly with them and said we perhaps wanted to look now. On the third time of her asking if we were ready to order now we asked which of the desserts were home made because they all appeared to be prefrozen items of the sort that come as an afterthought in Indian / Chinese restaurants. She said only the Tiramisu came homemade but they didn't have any!! We declined to order desserts and weren't offered coffees. During this time the restaurant had been emptying and only our party and a couple were left (9.30). We were most certainly made to feel that we should be on our way - one of my friend's wine glass was removed by a passing waitress almost before it hit the table - clearly another glass of wine was out of the question! We then asked for coffees - very grudgingly brought. The couple paid and left. While we were drinking coffees the kitchen lights and lights in the back sector of the restaurant were switched off and the cook(?) and two of the waitresses stood with hands on hips yawning and posturing. We were made to feel extremely uncomfortable so asked for the bill which came most swiftly. We are still waiting for our change - the staff clearly felt their efforts were worthy of keeping a service charge. Two of my friends went to use the toilet before leaving while the rest of us felt obligated to go and stand outside in the street to wait for them as the staff had their coats on and were racing past us to get out. My two friends literally stepped out the door and had it closed and locked behind them in ten seconds. We have eaten in a range of places with a range of cuisines but this was the first time ever we have found ourselves standing in the street at 10 oclock on a Friday night - difficult when our transport was arranged as it always is for 11 oclock - hardly late! Fortunately there is a pub across the road which we enjoyed for that hour.

To sum up - poor food and service - way overpriced including the white wine which was warm - were not made to feel welcome or valued as a customer - rather the opposite. Wont be back and definitely would not recommend to others. There are far better places in Dundee and the surrounding area that would welcome your custom and provide a far superior dining experience.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Nice food, but you can find better value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Went here for a graduation lunch without booking and they handled well for a group of about ten. Everyone liked their dish and we had a good time.

I wouldn't return for a dinner for two though as it's a bit pricey and nothing amazing.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Shangrila, Alabama, United States
“Size matters!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Nice enough place but the size of main course pasta dishes was not even borderline small. They were small. As I like to give an honest answer when asked if everything was ok, I mentioned the small portions, and the reply was that I should have bought a side order of garlic bread. At £10.50 for a small bowl of pasta I expected better. I was also told that nobody complained about the size of portions but they can't be reading their reviews.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Forfar
“Easily the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Been to Ciao many times over the past ten years -it is one of our favourite haunts. Never been less than satisfied with the food (all freshly cooked) ,service(friendly and welcoming) or the price. Portions are adequate and pasta dishes are about £9.50. For city centre this price is fair. If you want cheap food go to some of the chain restaurants.

• 5 of 5 stars Food