“Very Average” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dundee
“Very Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Mrs B and I went with friends as we had a voucher. It was the only reason we chose to go as we don't really like franchise type places. The decor is very much copied from American styled restaurants as seen all over the world. The service was just okay and the food was very average. We like to have dishes that we cannot make at home. I had a penne pasta dish which I can easily replicate at home and Mrs B had a pizza which wasn't that great. Overall, not offensive, but not a return again dining experience!!!!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Perth, Scotland
“Poor, poor show Papa Joe's.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Just returned from a friend's birthday meal....... at Jimmy Chungs (next door). We walked out of Papa Joe's in disgust after they flat refused to seat our table of 18 together despite booking well in advance AND paying £100 deposit. What?? The manager actually seemed to be enjoying the upset he was causing and tried to argue that seating us at 2 separate tables would be better. I had heard that the place was going down hill fast, but didn't quite believe it until I experienced it myself this evening. We told him we would not stay for our meal should he refuse to seat us together so we got our deposit back and walked out. He didn't seem at all bothered that he would lose the custom. The rest not the staff looked harassed and miserable. Papa Joe's used to be one of the nicest places to eat in Dundee but after that farce tonight I will not be going back. Ever!

• Visited December 2012
Dundee
“Overwhelmingly Average - Avoid the Nachos!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

A large group of us who work together visited Papa Joe's recently for our Christmas night out. What a palaver. First off, we have a vegan in our group and it can be tricky at times to ensure she can get something enjoyable to eat. We went to Papa Joe's last year and although they were pre-warned that she would be dining with us, the staff had absolutely no idea when we arrived and she ended up having to eat a pizza without any cheese - hardly a delicious meal! So, three weeks beforehand, I rang to have a word with the manager to ensure there would be something available for her to eat, or if possible, would they prepare a special one off dish for her? The manager I spoke to was extremely unhelpful and couldn't seem to grasp the concept of a vegan - no meat, no dairy, no animal products, not difficult. He suggested the steaks and when I said, no, this would not be suitable, he asked if she was lactose intolerant, which she is not and being a vegan is through choice to which he responded "we don't cater for people like that" and suggested she bring her own meal for them to heat up. Ludicrous.

A colleague called a few days later to see if she would have any luck and the same thing happened again - manager very rude and very unaccommodating. Ruth (the vegan) and I went down one night to have a word and another manager sat down with us and went through the menu and it turned out there was plenty she would be able to eat - it was just a case of replacing ingredients here and there.

The night out went fairly well - service was perhaps a little slow, but considering how busy the restaurant was, the waitresses did very well. The food was very average, although our vegan did enjoy her vegetable fajita, but what a great pity that the manager we spoke to the first two times was incredibly rude and unhelpful. I started with the nachos, which were awful (please see attached photo) no salsa and it looked as though it had been thrown on the plate, and the then a burger which was quite tasty.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Appalling service - staff and managers attitude was terrible!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Having our yearly Xmas meal at papa joes me and my friends around 9 of us went here and yeah food was good! But we will never go back we go every Christmas for our secret Santa etc, they supplied hooters in Christmas crackers - which apparently it's frowned upon to use them? As its very disturbing for others dining! Correct me if I'm wrong but it's Christmas time people are gonna be having fun!!!!!! It thn came to around half past 10 and we were about to order more drinks having already spent close to £250 the snotty member of staff comes over and advised the manager has decided to close the bar?! Because we were having fun and people complained? Keeping in mind we already placed our order! The manager then comes over and found it hilarious that i was angry with this - VERY unprofessional manner very unprofessional staff! Will not be back for Xmas time and they should not cater for Xmas nights out!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great experience in one if not the best place in Dundee.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I went to this establishment for lunch as I had heard good reviews about it and it was doing a great offer on lunch. It was very busy around the time we entered which was around 12:45 on a Wednesday. We were granted at the door and seated promptly at a table. The waiter was over to us within a matter of seconds offering to take our drinks order, he was not only dressed smart but had an exceptional amount of manners which was good to see. We ordered the Cajun chicken, scampi and pizza. These were made to a very good standard especially for the lunch time menu price of £4.95. As I have worked in the trade for many years it was very good to see a restaurant getting it so right. All the staff looked very well presented but the one waiter we had was very good and credit due he made our experience even better. Not only did he make suggestions for food when we asked but he had a good sense of humour which was pleasant to see. Overall this place is one I will defiantly be returning to. Good job and keep it up!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere