“Avoid.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bruce Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dundee
Bruce Hotel
39 Roseangle, Dundee, Scotland   |
Ranked #27 of 31 hotels in Dundee
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Avoid.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I recently stayed at the Bruce Hotel while attending a conference at the university. When I first made the booking, the proprietor was attentive to my late night arrival. However, when I arrived, there was no key outside or anyone to let me in. After trying to ring the doorbell (not sure how they didn't wake up after ten minutes of constant buzzing), I tried to find another hotel...but they were all booked. So I ended up sleeping on the porch of the Bruce hotel. The owner apologized...and that was about it. I wish I could say that I was exaggerating.
With all of that aside, the hotel itself isn't bad, but not great. I had a very small room with my own sink but a shared bathroom. Free wifi was a nice bonus. Breakfast was standard. Overall, there are nicer places in Dundee of comparable value and location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Marston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Compared to other B&Bs, the price was too high for the quality of the rooms. Beds were comfortable but the linen worn and is some cases stained. Otherwise, the location and the biscuits in the room made our stay pleasant overall. The free wifi was a great help.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

My stay here was pleasant. My room was furnished in a basic manner but very practical. Although a smallish room there was plenty of room to hang up & put away my clothing. The sink area was very clean - and again with plenty of space to put things on like your soap, toothbrush etc. which many places seem to lack these days. I have to say the bed was VERY comfortable. The shared toilet & shower facilities were very clean. This B&B was well placed to visit Dundee and a nice breakfast and helpful owner made this a good choice.

Two small complaints would be that 1. the TV reception in my room wasn't the greatest with an annoying humming noise. 2. My room also had two very large plants in it (a la day of the Triffids!) The owner obviously has a liking of these very large house plants because there are also a few to be found in the breakfast area. However, I found that although the bottom leaves of the plants in my room had been well dusted the top leaves of the plants were very dusty and started my hayfever off. So I rather felt that if you are going to have these plants around you really need to keep an eye on the dust situation!

All in all good value for money and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Hannover
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

The Bruce Hotel is a nice little B&B near the university and not too far from the bus and railway station and the city centre. The single room I had was very small and had only a sink, but fridge and microwave were right in front of it and the always-clean bathrooms (toilet and shower/toilet) were only a few steps away. Since it´s far away from the main roads it´s nice and quiet. With lots of supermarkets and restaurant/take-aways in the area food is not a problem. And there´s free wifi in the whole house. Considering the price it´s a perfect accommodation for someone who only wants a nice room for a few days of sightseeing or so.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Pavia, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

Simply lovely, nothing to add... I stayed with my boyfriend twice for some days each time and found a wonderful accomodation: very agreable room; the owner, Alexa, is really wonderful, ready to help for every kind of request or question...
The room is clean and tidy, tea/coffee facilities with biscuits, too. Breakfast gorgious, full cooked Scottish (with free-range eggs!) or usual cereals/toast/jams/eggs in varios recipes, etc...
You can adjust your room temperature autonomally (I feel the cold very much, so that's really great!)
They forgot writing it on the web-site, but there is a microwave, a fridge, cutlery, bowls and pots at your disposal (which is very convenient if you don't want to go out having dinner or lunch... and in summer in order to have fresh beverages for your trips around Dundee!).
We weren't in the en-suite room, but it has basin, that is comfy; both shower room and toilet rooms are cleaned really often, so you don't feel you are sharing them with somebody else!
It has free wi-fi, hairdryer and iron/iron board on request. You can even have your laundry washed and dried by paying a very small fee.
On top of all, it doesn't cost much, so I will suggest it to everybody!

• Liked — everything! perhaps the breakfast!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bruce Hotel? Share your experiences!