“Advertised free internet, but it was so slow and unreliable it was worthless” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Dundee

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
Los Angeles, California
“Advertised free internet, but it was so slow and unreliable it was worthless”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Location- Central place to visit Scone Castel and St Andrews. Did not really visit the city itself. Asked for a quiet room with river view but did not get it. You can come in directly to the rooms on the elevator without going through the reception. You need a key to enter the hallway to your room, but anyone can come behind a guest. Rooms have no inside bolts.
Reception- Terribly rude, uninformed and unhelpful young lady on check in. Next day a young man and the lady were helpful.
Breakfast –Very good for a budget hotel. Sausages, eggs, beans, yogurt, bread, croissants, juice, etc. Floor was a bit sticky.
Room-Small European holiday Inn standard. Needs to be repainted and carpet was a bit tired.
Light for reading –Good
Bed –Comfortable, but with duvet instead of sheets and blanket, got a 2 twin bed room.
Air Conditioning-None
Wi-Fi-Terrible- front desk response is that everyone uses it! Da! If you don’t have power for every guest you don’t have internet!
TV- Good Size and a variety of channels.
Refrigerator-None
Room for bags-Very tight
Tea Kettle or coffee maker- Yes
Bathroom-Small but efficient, some mold around the shower and floor a bit dirty or stained?
Shower pressure-Good
Cloths line-None
Safety bar in bathroom-Yes
Towels-Good size and clean
Amenities-None soap and shampoo from a bottle in the wall.
Hair dryer-Will fry your hair
Full length mirror-Yes
Makeup mirror- None
Parking-Fee
Laundry-No self serve
Iron and ironing board. None
Complimentary bottle water-No
Plugs-None by the bed

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GraemeShewan, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Starviagera
Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review of your recent stay here in Dundee.
We appreciate all the comments we receive as they help us improve the service we provide to all our guests.
Many thanks
Karen Gorman
Senior Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I've stayed at Holiday Inn Express in other places and have enjoyed the experience but this one has been the worst.
I couldn't wait to get home to have a sleep, the bed had to be the most uncomfortable I've ever tried to sleep in! It was like lying on a water bed! Had I noticed before my slightly drunk partner had past out, I would have asked to be moved.
I wish that I had booked our usual hotel that is £10 cheaper (but out of the town) and have far better facilities and bigger and comfy beds.

On the plus side all the staff were very friendly and chatty.

Stayed July 2014
GraemeShewan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Amanda S,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback,
We aim to provide all of our guests with the highest standards and to hear you had an unpleasant stay is disappointing for us.
We are investigating the room you stayed in and we hope you will return to our hotel and enjoy a pleasant nights sleep.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our team.

Alison
Guest Services Manager
Manchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

At £61 bed and breakfast, not really sure what people expect. The rooms are basic, but they're clean and functional and the beds are comfortable. The guy on reception didn't look like he'd been fitted out on Saville Row, but he was polite, friendly and I was early, and he got me checked in as soon as he could, and that was all I wanted. Breakfast was standard Holiday Inn Express fare, you know the choice is limited and the quality average, but it is a budget hotel and, as such, it's obviously run on a tight budget to keep it viable. It's in a good location and offers value for money, if you want the Savoy, then you have to pay the price.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
GraemeShewan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Eastlands,

Thank you for giving us your honest review,
I am Pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and your positive comments regarding our team are greatly appreciated.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Alison
Guest Services Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Entrance area and stair well badly designed gives poor first impression looks and feels more suited to multi storey car park. Reception area/bar/breakfast room feels like school reception area. Decor and carpets past there best. Currently there is a building site opposite adding to the overall dilapidated feel. Secure entry key card difficult to get the hang of and only works for the floor you are on so groups on different levels would have to use stairs.I found the room noisy especially in the evening and had to check the windows were closed.
Room basic take slippers or socks as carpets feel sticky. Only two tea bags supplied.
Breakfast is self service in a pantry area bit of a free for all resulting in spills etc. Choice was limited, Unfortunately it was a bit unappetising for me,
Staff were friendly enough, but did not offer info or instructions in particular re security cards, they did just not look the part therefore did not inspire confidence.
The location is excellent for train/bus and city centre, but it is not value for money.

I would not recommend for a sole female traveller,due to the entrance, stairwell and corridor layout especially the time taken to use key card.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GraemeShewan, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Dublindream
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent Stay with us here in Dundee.
We appreciate all comments, Guest security is of the utmost importance to both myself and the team. Thank you for highlighting your concerns. I am disappointed to read you had an unpleasant stay here at our hotel. All of your comments have been passed on to our head of departments to investigate and improve upon. I hope if you come to Dundee in the future you will provide us with the opportunity to show you how lovely the Holiday Inn Express Dundee Is

Karen Gorman
Senior Guest Services Manager
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The pluses were the location, central for everything. Room/bathroom were clean and staff were pleasant enough. They were very helpful about the left luggage facility. There was no great welcome, no charm, no pleasantries. Their uniform was very workman like,in fact I thought the receptionist was the cleaner. Nothing about it was crisp and smart and welcoming looking it was very pedestrian. The carpets in the public areas were very badly stained, very very offputing. The bathroom door was very badly designed and I jammed my fingers in it, extremely painful, staff were kind enough to offer medical aid. There was not enough tea/coffee/milk and no biscuit, again not welcoming. I asked for more and they took about an hour to arrive. Never have I stayed in a hotel that had such a poor and charmless breakfast. No porridge, and the hot choices were scrambled egg, link sausage and beans. Out of this I only liked scrambled eggs. If you envisaged light fluffy eggs forget it, what you got was big clumps of yellow rubber, that could not be broken down. You were then expected to clear your own table. When booking out I was told i owed more money, luckily on querying it another member of staff confirmed this was not the case. All in all a disappointing stay.

Room Tip: I had a front room and no problem with noise. Another party member had a side room and was kept awak...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GraemeShewan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Sandra M,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent experience here at the Holiday Inn Express in Dundee, and offering some very valuable constructive feedback to assist me with improving the business. I would the like to take this opportunity to apologise for the disappointing experience you had with us and would like to address your concerns.

Our team uniforms are branded uniforms and are present in all Holiday Inn Express hotels across the UK. The intention of the light blue colour is not to make them "workmen like" as you describe but more vibrant and unique to the industry.

The bathroom door design in our bedrooms are a space saving initiative and are standard doors with no spring loaded mechanism. It is a dual framed design which is notably uncommon within traditional buildings. My apologies you managed to jam your fingers and I am pleased to note the team were on hand to assist you.

Tea, coffee and milk are provided in all of our guest bedrooms with biscuits not currently offered as you point out. This is a valuable comment as I am always looking for ways to improve the guest experience. Since reading your comments on tea and coffee, we have introduced a basket of extra tea, coffee and milk at reception which guests can help themselves to.

The public area carpets are cleaned on a maintenance schedule and please accept my apologies if you found them "off putting", I am sure you can appreciate we have a high volume of guests passing through our hotel every day, and we strive to exceed our guest expectations in all aspects of cleanliness such as your bedroom and bathroom as you describe.

I would like to thank you for your comments and I would enjoy the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Dundee, and indeed show you first hand the improvements we are making.

stonehaven
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

i stayed with my mother for a birthday treat and was pleasantly surprised. It was an easy disatance to the city centre and all the staff were really helpful and gave us advice about dining out. The breakfast was very good and lots of choice for everyone. the rooms were clean with shampoo shower gel and hand wash also plenty of towels.
The only down side was the second night it was very noisy and there was strong cooking smells coming from the restaurant next door, we were in room 216 at the back of the hotel. The next time and there will be a next time we will ask for a room to the front.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
GraemeShewan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Kathleen G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our property here in Dundee. I am pleased to note you enjoyed a comfortable stay and the team were friendly and helpful especially around your choice of dining.

My apologies for the noise you experienced on the second night of your stay and please be assured I will take this up with my night team to ensure this is eliminated in the future. On your next visit please call ahead on 01382 314330 and we can ensure you are allocated a river view room on our highest floor as I am sure you will appreciate the stunning view of the river Tay.

Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I am often away with work and stay in a variety of hotels and am happy with basic however this hotel is beyond belief . As a woman travelling alone I prefer to eat in the hotel / no food- ok I'll deal with that (given some take away menus) - told I was allocated a twin disabled room - not a problem done this before - carpet stained not just one I photographed at least 5 large stains in a variety of sizes shapes and locations - went to turn catch on door ( traveller alone likes to feel secure in room ) none - went to reception to request move to another room - all rooms like this - it's ok apparently because only the manager can get in your room with his pass / we'll no I'm not happy with that - I don't want to be in bed wondering if a member of staff will stroll in while I am asleep. It's policy apparently people prefer it because they collapse in rooms - I don't think so !

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GraemeShewan, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Sue187069,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your experience here at the Holiday Inn Express in Dundee. I have completed an investigation into your comments since guest security is of the utmost importance to both myself and the team.

Rather than discuss your comments here perhaps you would good enough to call me at your earliest convenience on 01382 314330, as I note you did not actually stay at the hotel.

Graeme Shewan

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dundee? Share your experiences!