“Ok for a short stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 31 hotels in Dundee
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
“Ok for a short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

The benefits of this hotel are Location and parking. The hotel is situated within 5 minute walk of the city centre and has a good car park attached - if you can time your arrival after 5pm and leave before 8am, the car parking is free. The hotel itself is clean enough and the breakfast is a typical Holiday Inn express serve-up. The front rooms are a little noisy as they are next to the main road.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GraemeShewan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Gran_G,

Thank you for reviewing your short stay with us,
I am please the location and parking facilities satisfied your needs.
We hope you return to our hotel and if so we will try our best to accommodate you with a quiet room.
Alison,

295 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Nice rooms and friendly staff, with a central location make this hotel ideal. Occasional change for breakfast from scrambled egg and sausage, would relieve the monotony of same cooked food. Other choices are fine.

Room Tip: View of river Tay.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear MikeBSheffield,

We endeavour to continuously improve our guest satisfaction and your honest feedback is appreciated,
we hope to welcome back in the near future,

Alison,
Thurso, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My wife and I stayed there 23rd May to 27th May. Hotel is located right in the centre of Dundee. Prompt check in and the room was really good. Excellent breakfast in the morning to get you started. Reception were great with advice on where to eat at night and also suggested some places to visit in the area.
Only issue was about the parking. The adjacent car park is not owned by IHG and you pay the machine when you leave. We were staying for 4 nights and as the hotel is so central we were planning to leave the car there for the duration of our trip. On the second night we happened to pass the entrance to the car park and noticed a statement on the sign that if you stay past 72 hours there is a £60 penalty charge. We therefore made sure we took the car out of the car park and then parked back in it again later that day. It would have left a nasty taste if we had had a lovely 4 days at the hotel, paid for our parking and then found out it would cost us an additional £60. I suggested to the reception staff that they could consider putting a notice up in the reception or on the link bridge from the car park to the hotel - tip is try and park on the 3rd level where the link bridge takes you straight into reception - about the car parking charges. Although the car park is owned by the council the hotel does advertise it on the website with the daily charge but nothing about penalties.
That aside I would recommend this hotel if you want a central location and we would certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Brian G,
with regards to a £60 penalty if parked for over 72 hours, thank you for bringing this to our attention,
I have discussed this with Gellatly st car park head office and they have assured me that no penalty charge will be given to our guests regardless of how long they are parked.
I am pleased you enjoyed your over all stay with us and was happy to read your kind comments regarding our team,
Alison
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We were heading from Edinburgh to Aberdeen for a meeting and got stranded in Dundee! The staff (Kerrick and Alison) were fantastic and saved our day. They organised a great meeting room at short notice and we did the meeting by con call. The staff were friendly, cheery and made us feel at home. We were offered plenty of tea at no extra charge (and wifi). The facilities were just perfect and the prices very reasonable. Just want to say thank you so much for helping us out and making it a lovely place to hang out- if it wasn't for you our day would have been wasted. Much more productive than being in the office :-)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
GraemeShewan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear Stephen V,

Thank you very much for your raving review,
We are happy to have helped, and hope you will think of our hotel when next visiting Dundee.

Kind regards,
Kerrick and Alison
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

stayed here after a night out for my birthday in march.
staff were very friendly and helpful.
hotel is new and decor is modern.
the hotel and rooms in general were very clean and good value for money.
will be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GraemeShewan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear BeeS_x,

Thank you for giving us 4 stars for your review.
I would like to say thank you on behalf of all the staff for making our hotel your chosen location to stay.
I will pass on to our housekeeping staff your comments about the room you stayed in.
I'll look forward to seeing you in the future.

Take Care

Kerrick
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I have been coming to Dundee now for years to visit my disabled brother, but I have only stayed at this hotel a couple of times.
I honestly cannot fault anything about it, the staff are absolutely brilliant, my first experience was with the manager Graham then with Ian and Kerrick, I must say that I have been going to lots of different hotels in years but since coming to the Holiday Inn Express in Dundee I truly don't want to be going anywhere else ever, the staff are great, the accommodation is perfect and there is nothing that the staff won't do to help you and make your stay as comfortable as they can possibly do, we meet a young lady called Naomi, she was so beautiful not only in looks with her gorgeous eye but in her attitude, whoever is responsible for employing the staff there need to be praised, I have stayed in several hotel for years since coming to look after my brother, but I am so glad that we had a good deal from them because I would always book in here anytime I come to see my brother and I hope to become a regular her at the Holiday Inn Express Dundee thank you for looking after us when we are with you.

Kindest Regards

Ian & Phyllis Duncan from
Aberdeenshire

Room Tip: I am almost reluctant to say because I don't want to call up and hear them say no sorry we are...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Ian & Phyllis,

Thank you so much for the five stars you've awarded our hotel and our staff. We really appreciate that. I am more than ecstatic that you have enjoyed your stay and found our staff most accommodating. I personally would like to thank you for your comment about myself and my colleagues and for being so nice to us when you're here.
I will most defiantly look forward to seeing you back next month.

Take care,

Kindest regards

Kerrick
Guest Services Assistant.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Good room basic but clean and tidy, good range of tv channels. The only thing letting the place down is no food being served on an evening:-( The staff were very helpful and provided options and suggestions for my evening meal. They also addressed any questions I had about Dundee being a newbee to this part of the world.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
GraemeShewan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear CDS240490
It’s nice to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we greatly appreciate your kind comments regarding our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,
Alison

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dundee? Share your experiences!