“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 31 hotels in Dundee
Scotland
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel having read some of the mixed reviews on here. I found the staff to be very helpful and polite at check-in. They were able to provide me with a range of takeaway menus from which to order food (I arrived too late in the evening to go out and eat). The room was comfortable. Carpet definitely needing replacing though! Also, I found the room to be a little warm and stuffy for my liking, even with the heater turned off. I didn’t want to have the window open due to the noise of the main road outside. The bed was comfortable and the shower was really powerful. I was quite impressed with breakfast in the morning – there was a really wide variety of food to help yourself to (cereals, yoghurts, fruit, toast, rolls, croissants, bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, beans, etc), and although the quality wasn’t top notch it was perfectly adequate to set you up for the day ahead. Car parking is in a multi-story next door to the hotel. You can either access the car park from a walkway next to reception or via street level (turn left when you come out of the hotel and then left again on to Gellatly Street). It cost me £7.30 to leave the car for about 18 hours. I think they only charge you during the day.

If you can get a good deal on a room here it is certainly worth considering if you want to be within walking distance of the city centre.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Houston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We spent two nights in April at the Holiday Inn Express Dundee while attending the annual meeting of a large social organisation.

The first thing that has to be said about this hotel is its excellent position, all of the facilities and attractions of central Dundee really are within easy walking distance.

All of our days and evenings were full so we really just used the hotel as a base and somewhere to sleep so, in that sense, the hotel suited us very well. We have to be realistic, if you want more luxury you have to be prepared to pay for it. We were more than happy with what we got in relation to what we paid.

Speaking of prices, the H.I.E. managers clearly have to be “on the ball” in terms of occupancy/profitability, so the price can vary radically from day to day. The point being you have to be fairly astute to find the best bargain, “caveat emptor”, I presume.

Reviewers have complained about the breakfasts offered. That did not bother me but I can see the point that, if you have a busy day ahead with little chance of time for lunch, you would be disappointed with what was on offer for breakfast.

One thing which did, “raise my eyebrow”, however, was the breakfast choice offered. H.I.E. Dundee, is, by its nature, a Scottish hotel, or perhaps more accurately, a hotel in Scotland. So why were we only offered link sausages, beloved of the “English Breakfast”, rather than the square or Lorne sausage, more commonly associated with the “Scottish Breakfast”? Other U.K. organisations, e.g. Wetherspoon’s seem able to recognise this phenomenon so why not Holiday Inn Express?.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Henlow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with work for well over a week, before I arrived I did the obligatory look at the website followed shortly by reading reviews on here however I don't think they're accurate enough, so I'll try my best to achieve that for you.

Location:
Well the hotel was easy to find... however parking isn't signposted and was only stumbled upon.

Parking:
We had a car and two vans which were too big for the adjoining car park, reception couldn't advise/recommend any near (or far). Both behind reception didn't even try to help, but rather palmed it off as if it was our fault and we should have used 'the force' before arriving to know this and research a plan B. Just focusing on cars now, the adjoining car park is free from 1800-0800 which isn't advertising on the website and before our arrival no information about the car park at all was on the website (since a limited amount of unhelpful information has been added).
What hotel doesn't have a free car park or at least provide a reduced or free rate for hotel guests!

Check In:
This was a slow process but to be fair to the hotel there was a large number of us and limited computers/staff. At this point customer service was average, it seemed we had inconvenienced the staff and if we were to make any sort of request/comment/complaint we'd be thrown off the roof. Then we were told we had to pay up front, which considering how many nights we were staying was a considerable amount of money! Absurd and unnecessary as surely a small deposit to have our card on record would be enough or pay at the end like EVERY OTHER HOTEL!

Priority Club:
I'm a member of the priority club rewards scheme Holiday Inn runs, if you haven't heard of it don't worry it's all over the hotel; corridors, lift and rooms. However don't expect any of the 'rewards' like the free weekday newspaper that I'm eligible for. Why?... well the excuse from staff for this (and with many other things) is the hotel is changing management/owners... I don't understand how this has had an effect on the service provided... but if it has stop advertising it all over the hotel!

Lift:
If you get on at the ground floor and want to go to the 3rd floor, the lift has to stop at the 1st floor. Stupid but everyday this gets super annoying! Also one of the lifts 1st floor button was broken and the panel hanging precariously off the side. Thankfully this annoying 'feature' of stopping always on 1st did come in slightly useful in this lift.

Room:
Don't expect lovely views, but I'm guessing you're not coming to Dundee for that and if you are then stop considering coming now.
The bathroom is great, shower is powerful and always got hot quickly. Plenty of towels are supplied however they have some funky (not dirty but not fresh) smell to them.
After the average (however poorly positioned) TV and the miniature kettle for your barbie dolls that's the room amenities over.
The bin caused great annoyance, the bin liner was way too small, everyday the first thing I put in ruined it as it slipped off the side and hit the bottom. To continue putting stuff in the bin you had to unravel the bag and.... argh just totally unnecessary and stupid, buy bigger bin liners!
Now I thought english and scottish plugs were the same, well this hotel has some different plug anyway. I don't know if it's because they're poorly fitted/designed/cheap but my chargers all seemed to never fit flush to the socket. I don't think this was dangerous at all or anything like that, just stupid and annoying.
Now to the bed, thankfully Holiday Inn Express Dundee has redeemed themselves here otherwise I would have thrown myself out the window long ago to escape from that stupid bin and kettle. But it seems they've already thought that'd be the case and limited opening the window to just enough to allow all the noise in but no fresh air.... anyway the bed. Great! Mattress is good, duvet is warm and soft and there is a choice of firm or soft pillows. Oh and the sidelights for each bed were great, not bright enough to distract anyone you're sharing with but bright enough to read.

Housekeeping:
They well and truly mugged us off. The room would look presentable when coming back in but under the tightly pulled duvet the sheets weren't touched let alone changed. The room was hoovered and smelly towels resupplied if we were lucky; one day they decided the two of us could share a towel or maybe us that duplicating device we'd been hiding under the bed. Overall shocking attempt at housekeeping, if you're only going to change my sheets/duvet every 3rd/4th day then at least make the bed look fresh and tidy. Oh and they threw out my mates pizza or possibly ate it.

Internet:
Website says something about a £5 charge and wifi in lobby and rooms. This is false, we were told about this at check in but still shouldn't be on website! The lobby has free wifi with no password however there is no internet at all in any rooms. The excuse about management changing came out again.

Breakfast:
Definition: A meal eaten in the morning, the first of the day. Holiday Inn definitely provides this however no where near to the quality that the website states "good start with a delicious complimentary breakfast". Powdered scrambled eggs, cheap bangers (not sure they can be called sausages or if they contain any pork) and baked beans which varied day to day in consistency from running to dried out sklunk, depending on the sun and moon alignment I think or just how annoyed the staff were that day with living in Scotland. Bacon wasn't to be sighted anywhere, I assume this is because it cost too much. Orange juice was the cheap concentrated stuff, there is a good selection of teas (about 8) and machine with hot chocolate and coffee and some cheap yogurts/cheese/tinned grapefruit are also on offer.
All in all not bad, good selection but awful quality. Oh and one last thing, getting clean cutlery was ok but you'd find the odd dirty fork or spoon. But what was really worrying was the cutlery tray/holder itself was disgusting, didn't look like it'd be cleaned for some time with a 'tasty' mixture of crumbs and slime.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear BenjaminGriffiths23,

Thank you for the detailed review regarding your experience with our hotel. It is pleasant to know that you found our comfortable rooms commendable. We strive everyday to create special experiences to our guests and we are truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have had due to the hotel staff services received, facilities and amenities. I have taken note of your valuable comments and your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource of improving guest services. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Dundee in early April; our daughter was playing in the SLGA Under 16 Open Stroke Play Championship 2013 at the Strathmore Golf Centre and this hotel made an excellent choice as our base for the week. I appreciate that if you are anything like me you won’t want to read endless paragraphs of good or bad the hotel was. So to keep it brief I will just say the hotel was fantastic from the moment we checked in until the day we left. Staff are friendly, professional and a pleasure to deal with, rooms are clean and well equipped and the hotel’s location could not have been better. I can say with certainty we will be staying there again next year – thank you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

When checking into this hotel was completely ignored by the woman behind the desk who was to busy conversing with another staff member. When she did eventually acknowledged us she was completely condensing towards us. Made my father felel stupid and uncomfortable. As my dad was paying for two rooms he asked if he could have the keys for the other room as he wanted to do something for my sister. The lady behind the desk told him straight out no as it was not his name on the room, but surely as he has paid for the room with card. She lets us up to the room but only with her there. She asked why he wanted into the room she was like "that's soooo cute" condensing much. Seriously sort her out. Her attitude stank.
Apart from that the hotel is ok.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Emma D,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is great to hear you found our hotel and location nice. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations with the service you received. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We've had a Dundee city break in early April with wife and kids.
We've found the hotel satisfactory on all accounts.
Just two minor issues, the parking is not payable on the bill at a preferential rate, as advertised - and the wifi in rooms was not working.
The room was clean and comfortable, if a tad worn out.
Both the main bed and the sofa for kids were providing a good sleep for the night.
The breakfast was good in quantity and quality.
Having a multi-store parking accessible from the reception floor was convenient.
It's a bit of a shame the restaurant can't offer any food except for the breakfast as they don't have a restaurant, but that's probably due to the price range. Anyway, the stay was satisfactory overall and the staff seemed they were trying to do their best.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Located in sight of the Tay Bridge this modern hotel is ideally situated for a day or night in Dundee. Very easy to find. friendly staff with a good level of service. Wifi available in lobby only, but it is free. Carparking is £6 a day in a council multi-storey next door, (make sure you keep your ticket to get out!) Breakfast is included and is pretty good. Staff were very helpful. 2 min walk to the shops and pubs in the city centre. 10 min walk to the railway station. Lots of places to eat nearby too. Only snag is I found the room a bit cold and the heating struggled to keep the room warm in cold weather. In conclusion, I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dundee? Share your experiences!