“Average Hotel - Good for commuting” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Dundee
Manchester
“Average Hotel - Good for commuting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently and I was passing through on business as opposed to spending time in Dundee.
The hotel is really easy to find, it's on the main thoroughfare through Dundee and is visible from the ring road with convenient parking just behind the hotel.
I arrived late and checked in to find my room looking like a Holiday Inn express of ten years ago really, but the room was clean, facilities OK and I was heading out early so missed breakfast, but suspect it isn't too dissimilar to Holiday Inn express fayre elsewhere - I..e basic breakfast.

So good for commuting through, but dated and needs some tlc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Yorkshire_Exec,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am pleased that our location was convenient for you and our rooms clean. Your additional comments regarding our facility needing updates have been noted and will be used to consider improvements needed.

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Really nice place , clean and tidy, very helpfull staff , value for money ,but weekend spoiled by a couple of inconsiderate families, but to be fair to the staff they sorted them out very quickly.There were other family's in the hotel but you never heard a sound from them and the children seemed to be well catered for.Nice small bar , and plenty seating.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the best views , of the bridge and the river.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Spent the weekend here with my partner and had a horrible time. This was our 3rd time at the hotel the other two times were good. However this time was a complete joke. Lound kids running through the corridors all night and last night there was a group of females fighting outside our room at 3 in the morning. Cleaning staff are very loud and our bathroom was covered in hairs on arrival.. totally different from the times we stayed before. If you don't want to be wakened up at 3am with a group of girl neds shouting and chapping your room door while they are pulling each others hair out.. then don't say here. Ridiculous.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear ClaudiaNicolson3,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced due to the noise. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Solihull, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed here overnight whilst away on business. The hotel location is great in the city centre and close to bars/restaurants etc. The Room was very comfortable and very clean. Breakfast was self service but adequate for what I required. I would stay here again.

Weil am Rhein, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Normally, not a bad hotel, IHG being my preferred haunt.

However on this ocassion the smell of sweaty feet that greated me on entering the room was terrible, had it not been 10pm at night I probably would have complained, thank god for the window. the bathroom wasn't much better, the sewers are obviously backing up in Dundee.
I have to say the bed was as comfy as the sofa, both were back breaking.

I know your in administration, but for gad sake buy more freshcare.

Room Tip: Facing the tay bridge is always nice, feet not included.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Struddel27,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. My apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with your room accommodation. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Karen C
Frodsham, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I normally wouldn't review a Holiday Inn Express, because you generally know what you're getting. However, I thought this one was worthy of a mention. Location-wise its great - slap in the middle of the city centre. The only problem with that at the moment is that you can only get to it one way - thanks to the massive demolition and construction works going on at the moment. Approaching from the east is very difficult as you have to double back on yourself through an unbelievably complex one way system. None of this is the fault of the hotel, but if you've been travelling for any length of time to get there, its the last thing you need.
I stayed for two nights in February and I wouldn't go back. Ok it was very cold outside and snowy one night, but you expect your room to be warm enough inside. Mine wasn't, despite leaving the electric heater on all night. I ended up having to take another duvet off one of the beds just to keep warm. The shower room was freezing too. Even the public areas were cold - this may be because the main way to access the hotel is through a multistorey car park.
On the positive side, the staff were friendly and it is in a good location, but I expect to be comfortable in my room - in this case I wasn't.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear sleeples,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I am pleased that you found our location convenient. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments about the electric heater has been documented and will certainly be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

A close family member has recently moved to Dundee so we will be visiting lots in the future. I would probably come back here as its right in the centre of town and is easy to get to. Rooms small and basic but clean - bed was bit small and my husband and I kept rolling into the middle so not best sleep. Breakfast again basic tried the hot food but was bit dried out and not very nice so stuck to cereal and toast the second day although my husband said hot food was fine (he'd eat anything!!!) Was a smashing view of the Tay Bridge from the dining room and had a bright and pleasant atmosphere The carpets along the corridors were in need of a good hoover although room itself nice and clean Staff all friendly and welcoming no problems there. The car park next door is accessible via a walkway from the hotel is around £7.00 a day its free from about 6pm until 8am so you need to factor this into price when booking Good value for money not best hotel I've stayed but by no means the worst

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dundee, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear BonnyScot,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us. I am very delighted to hear about your pleasant experience at our hotel. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dundee? Share your experiences!