“A super stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 31 hotels in Dundee
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“A super stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

A genuine, warm welcome from the owners who've captured the perfect balance of being friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The hotel has a warm home-from-home feel - the photos don't do it justice!
Our room was clean, cosy and quiet and looked over the gorgeous garden to the river. We were invited to wander freely round the garden (I was even provided with a bag to bring a cutting home!)
Located in a very quiet, leafy crescent, it was the ideal base...a wee haven of calm at the end of each fraught flat-hunting day!
The owners were most accommodating, providing us with a delicious veggie breakfast! They even surprised us with a choice of non-dairy milk...these little touches made our stay special. There was an impressive range of cereals, yoghurts, fresh and dried fruit salads and accompaniments as well as a changing selection of tasty home-made jam and marmalades. Yum! Much appreciated!
I would highly recommend staying at Dunlaw House and will choose it whenever we visit my son at University!
Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask if you'd prefer an en-suite. I particularly enjoyed the views from our front facing room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Excellent value for money. Very friendly owner. True Scottish hospitality. Great breakfast. Very clean. Great for a weekend away. Nice garden And had excellent view of the river Tay. Will be visiting again next year for sure

Room Tip: We had.a shared toilet and shower will visit again for sure only next time with ensuite
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Disappointing having read reviews. Room very small but clean. Bathroom basic with large bottles discount shampoo and shower gel. Kettle apparently does work but extra slow. Looked forward to Arbroath smokey not realising I had to order in advance!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Port Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Room was immaculate, amazingly comfortable bed and breakfast was outstanding! Very friendly welcome, owners and staff were lovely and helpful. More of a b&b feeling to it than hotel, which I loved.

The en suite didnt provide much in the way of privacy as it has a folding door that i couldnt close properly, but I was sharing the room with my fiance so it didnt matter too much!

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2014
Hastings, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

If you’ve read any of my previous reviews you would know that most of these places I stay in is for business purposes, when I book a room I always ask the same two questions which decides on whether or not I book 1) do you have free parking 2) do you have Wi-Fi and does it work? When I asked I was told that they had parking and Wi-Fi. So I booked.

When I arrived there was absolutely no parking as this place is in a really really small road. I was told by the owner to park on the double yellow lines “as no traffic wardens ever come round this way”. I was then shown to my double room which in fact was a twin room with the beds pushed together….. I’m 42 Years old and it’s been a good Thirty Years since I’ve had to sleep in a single bed. The en-suite consisted of the smallest cubicle in the world which had a toilet and shower squeezed into it, I’m 5’ 11” and I couldn’t sit on the toilet with the door shut (Most Un-impressed).

I then went to connect my computer so I could write my reports for work and the Wi-Fi wouldn’t connect to the internet. I went down to look for the owner and ask what the problem was with the internet and he told me that “the internet has been playing up for ages” and that he’d try and re-boot the modem. After an hour I thought I’d enquire with the owners to see if anything had been done with the router. I asked the lady of the house who rolled her eyes and said “I dunno!”

This place is clean enough, a bit tatty in places but by no means a dive but I certainly wouldn’t stay here again and there is no way I could recommend it as I hated every minute of my stay and couldn’t wait to get off to work the next morning just to be out of there.

Room Tip: dont think there is a good room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Paisley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

If you are looking for a plastic hotel don't go there. This is a charming spotless hotel run by a couple who obviously enjoy what they do. Very welcoming I phoned directly and booked at short notice. Peaceful quiet I actually slept which is rare in an hotel. Very peaceful location in a leafy street full of character.
Enjoyed the breakfast and would recommend to anyone very reasonably priced too.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

A mate and I stayed at Dunlaw House Hotel in Dundee for 10 nights while on a golfing trip. The owners, Barbara and Doug, were most charming and ever attentive to all our needs. The rooms were very clean and quiet. The breakfasts were plentiful and delicious, with the dining room overlooking a beautiful garden.
Doug was very knowledgeable and helpful with golfing information that he was only too willing to share.
I cannot speak highly enough of Dunlaw House Hotel and the owners,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Dunlaw House Hotel? Share your experiences!