“Avoid This Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
plymouth
“Avoid This Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

From start to finish this hotel was a joke. We arrived on the Friday and we had to get a portable heater for the room as it was freezing. The excuse we were given was that the cleaners had left the windows open however we did not check in until 8pm and the windows were closed. We had to keep the heater on the full weekend to keep the room warm. No tea and coffee in the room we had use of a coffee machine free of charge however on the Friday night it was not working. On the Saturday morning there was no hot water to wash or shower. Saturday night there was just enough for myself and husband to have a quick shower as the water went cold again. Also the bar was very low on any stock no lemonade,draft beer and very limited on spirits. Breakfast was in the price but was not worth getting up for. I would not use this hotel again even if it was the only hotel in Dundee.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

None
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

This place is a disaster zone. DO NOT GO HERE !!!

Room was very cold and dirty. In the end we had to check out early as it was truly disgusting

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

I stayed for one night. The hotel is not that easy to find. It is in an OK location outside Dundee. The hotel doesn't look much from the outside. The rooms are small and a bit worn although they were clearly recently done up. This is a budget hotel and used to be a Days Inn.

I had a small problem with the shower, but my main issue was that the room was not clean. It clearly had not been vacuumed recently and their was a big blob of dust on the radiator. The surfaces were also very dusty. I raised this with the guy behind the desk, who took it on board. There were also a few hairs hanging round the sheets and the sink had a few shavings left over. Basically housekeeping were not doing a proper job.

The guy behind reception was also barman, waiter and possibly even the chef on the night I stayed! He was definitely the only member of staff on I saw. He is a good guy however and is trying to do the right thing. The menu on offer is basic but they do specials which were very slow in coming out but were decent home cooked food.

They have wireless internet for a fee, and it worked well in the room. This was a bonus for me. No coffee/tea in the room but there is a free coffee machine downstairs and you can take a cup to your room.

I had a good nights sleep, although there was a frosted window beneath the main windows in my room which meant that the light came in early. The cooked Breakfast was not great but was edible, about supermarket cafe standard. The remainder is continental type.

Overall this is a budget hotel (£55 inc breakfast) for me, so I didn't expect miracles. If housekeeping were given a good kick to get cleaning properly I would have no issues staying again.

• Liked — Decent food in evening, wireless internet in room (for fee)
  • Disliked — Room cleanliness, this needs to be addressed
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

Was coming to visit family in Dundee and needed somewhere to stay.
Found this on a Bookings website at a very good rate which was my main reason for booking this hotel.
This is a nice property, would recommend it to anyone visiting family in the area. It is basic but very clean, friendly staff couldnt have asked more for my money.
Anyone that can feed me and my hubby for £15 with steak has my vote.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — No tea & Coffee in room, you have to go to restaurant when you want some although can have as much as you like for free.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Your Hotel? Share your experiences!