“Book Morlich House not Annandale Arms Hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Annandale Arms Hotel
High Street | Dumfries and Galloway, Moffat DG10 9HF, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Moffat
Preston
“Book Morlich House not Annandale Arms Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

Having booked the Annadale Arms, while attending a wedding at Auchen Castle we were very disappointed with the standard of accommodation. Having looked at the website and the fact that in the leaflet and website the hotel claims the 'rooms have all been refurbished to a high standard' this was not the case.

The rooms on the website look modern and the bathrooms look up to date and clean. Our party booked two doubles, one was within the hotel itself, our room was on an annex (probably old stables or something) away from the main hotel itself. The bed and towels were clean but the decor was old and jaded, nothing like the pictures had lead us to believe.

For £95 a night it felt like poor value for money. Our recommendation is to stay where some of our friends stayed which is a beautiful B and B called MORLICH HOUSE. We went to see our friends in the B and B before we went to our hotel which only lead to increasing our dissappointement having left such a modern and lovely place. Each of the B and B rooms were immaculately decorated and had lovely finishing touches like bath robes, good quality soap and even cotton buds!!!

The owners of the B and B (Bill and Margaret) were very welcoming and friendly to our friends and made their stay very enjoyable and comfortable. For less money this is a place well worth staying at!!

• Liked — Leaving it!
  • Disliked — Decor very dated and not modern bathroom
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

I must confess to something of a soft spot for all things Scottish, and I have been heading to the Highlands for many years to enjoy the delights that this wonderful country has to offer. However, on my most recent sojourn I had the good fortune to stop off in Moffat at a hotel run by a charming couple who had given up life down south to try their hand as hoteliers.

Moffat nestles in the unspoilt countryside of the Borders/Dumfriesshire and despite being close to Edinburgh and Glasgow feels a world away amongst the rolling hills, valleys and forests of Southern Scotland. I was reliably informed on my stay that it was a favourite spa town of Wordsworth's sister, and although the spa is sadly gone, I think she would still approve.

My wife and I spent three nights over a weekend in November and were based in one of the recently redecorated bedrooms, which was furnished with great style and taste. The room was fresh and modern and offered the perfect accompaniment to the views enjoyed from the window.

The food matched this exciting fusion, offering an innovative take on traditional Scottish cuisine and providing both sustenance and style at a price rarely encountered by those of us from south of the Border. The highlight of the meal was their local steaks which are perhaps the most tender I have ever tasted. I am happy to note that this wasn't the only culinary treat I encountered in the Borders and there has been a marked growth in gastronomy across the quiet idyllic towns south of Edinburgh. The receptionist was more than happy to point us in the direction of those worthy of a visit.

The only complaint I can have is that the 'traditional Scottish breakfast', although delicious, could not have been that healthy, a price worth paying once in a while though, and my wife's muesli looked a tasty substitute in any case.

Further to the owners, the staff were jolly and I look forward to returning to Moffat in the near future. My only fear is that the popularity of the Annandale Arms will be such that I shan't be able to get a room!

• Liked — Modern rooms, great food
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Skipton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

I've just returned from a visit to the Annandale Arms and would never stay again. Expensive and poor quality. Heating only comes on a certain times of day and the room was freezing. Had an incredibly rude telephone call on my return home accusing me of 'having a man to stay'. Well, for goodness sake, this is the 21st century! True enough I met a friend for dinner and we went to my room for coffee and he duly left at midnight. BUT, they wanted to charge for TWO people staying the night! They have since fraudulently made a charge against my debit card! Avoid this place like the plague!! Apparently, the receptionist warned the owner that I was 'going to be trouble' on checking in! Charming! If you want a freezing cold room, fraudulent charges, and very rude emails, stay at the Annandale - if you'd rather be treat with respect, go to one of the many other hotels in the town!

Stayed November 2007
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

we stayed in this hotel for the first time in november and what a great time we had. the food was very good and the service also. the staff were very friendly and the bar very welcoming. the hotel is ideally situated in the centre of moffat with shops pubs etc all at hand. the selection of whiskies were first class and we did try a few to say the least. elaine and staff really looked after us and we would have no hesitation in recomending this fine hotel to any traveller.

Stayed November 2007
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

We stayed here in April, 2007, and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. The owner was attentive, interesting and fun. The bar has some great scotch whisky and the food was very good including Scottish beef and excellent Scottish cheese. Atmosphere is relaxing and pleasant. Full Scottish breakfast. Charming village with lots of shops. Convenient place to stop when heading to Edinburgh or further north. We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — The Staff, restaurant, and atmosphere
  • Disliked — Location of room - ground floor
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2006

I had booked the hotel for my wedding party. Every room was booked out due to my guests. When I arrived in the area I could not believe how friendly everyone was in the town. I was on a high until I spoke to the stuck up manageress of this hotel. She had layed down rules as though she was a headmistress. She told me how she would set out the function room and when I disagreed she ignored my ideas.
When I entered the function room I was greeted with her idea and not my own so had to change it, with help from members of the band that was booked for the evening.
The bar in the function hall didnt have much alcohol of any sort and had no draught lager / beer. This lead to most guests using the bar downstairs.
The manageress was heard to be speaking about my guests in a derogatory manor and this ended the night abrubtly. This also lead to me leaving the hotel one day early.
The rooms were beautiful and spacious. The food was second to none. The staff were all polite, friendly and well mannered. The hotel is very authentic with tartan carpets and stag heads on the wall. There is a large selection of scottish whiskey and the barman knows all there is to know about them.

A big thank you to the staff.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — No music in the bar
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat here. The food is exceptional and traditionally scottish.
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Annandale Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!