“Awful food” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Black Bull Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moffat
Black Bull Hotel
You added Black Bull Hotel to your Saves list
Churchgate, Moffat DG10 9EG, Scotland   |
Ranked #17 of 22 Moffat B&B and Inns
dumfries
“Awful food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

We suffered a truly apalling meal at this hotel - the food was stewed, and almost completely devoid of taste - a huge disappointment for somewhere we used to rate highly . We will not be back.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Hertford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

The Black Bull used to be a favourite stop over on the way to and from the Highlands. Not any more. The room was dirty and falling to pieces (shower didn't work, huge cracks in the ceiling, fitments falling off the wall, uncomfortable bed with springs poking out). Noise from the "railway " bar 20 yards from our window made sleeping impossible and when it stopped at midnight loud music from the kitchen beneath our room continued. The seating area below our window was then used by the local youngsters until around 3am.
We like a bar meal now and again and didn't have particularly high expectations but the food in the bar was disgusting: reheated, and slightly burnt Brake brothers fare, the salad tasted of soap. Dog-eared, stained menus, unchanged since our fist visit ten years earlier didn't inspire confidence. Gordon Ramsey would have trouble turning this one around. The breakfast was also revolting: swimming in grease, and with only one other group of people sitting down to breakfast the manager's refusal to swap our room the previous evening as the hotel was "fully booked" began to look a little thin.
When i raised these issues with the woman I assumed to be the manager. she refused to look me in the eye, issued a barely audible muttered "sorry" and scuttled off after charging us nearly £100 for the privelege. An extremely dissappointing and depressing end to a great holiday. If you want to ruin your trip to Scotland, this would be a good place to stay. Otherwise, don't go there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
stranraer
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

on arrival a girl on bar was helpful took us up a rather dingy flight of stairs and along an even more dingy passage to an end room ..we passed a bucket on the way ..leaky ceiling musty smell the water in it was grimey and filled with moths..yuck.she passed me the keys and said thats the room in we went she left us wed booked a twin for three nights,,what met us was a double bed and a made up couch ..the bathroom where di i start dirty bath dirty floos no soap in hand wash...then back to room hospitality tray was filthy used cups human i think hairs all over it a kettle of i thirds water and tray not replenished..bed well i think some one else had been in it recently..i could go on but as the list is endless i will stop there..so i went down told the poor girl who passed me on to a very very nice young man very polite and when he saw the room he was amazed i felt sorry for him and he was in full agreement on the state of the room...needless to say we left.....but he sid he would help us too find somewhere if we did not manage too get somewhere suitable .....lovely bar staff thank you the rest !!!!!! avoid is all i can say.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I stayed here Saturday 8th May. My partner, son and I had a meal in the restaurant, which was very nice. Only one waitress, who was extremely harassed. 2 tables of diners left without getting fed. I went to my room, got up to the toilet and the room door slammed behind me. I came downstairs and found no one in the hotel - no night porter, people in the bar/kitchen etc. There is no phone at the "reception area". I sat from midnight(ish) until 0700 in a small 'reception' area. I flagged down an extremely helpful lady who contacted the local police who phoned the out of hours emergency number and the manager arrived - stating "we 've had this before". She phoned a local contact who broke into my room - again stating "room will need to be broken into again". Lovely, quaint hotel but will never go again. Met locals who told me that the hotel has changed hands and is going downhill rapidly. Needless to say, I was not charged.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
walsall, west midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

we arrived late friday night after booking in at the bar , the staff advised us that food was still been served till 9pm.. The 2 rooms were clean and smart the only fault my daughter would say that the door at the top of the stairs creek when it was opened at little drop of oil wouldn't go a miss, also beening a pub a bit noisy, but when it closed a good night sleep was found . The breakfast was excellent every think what was on the menu was availbale and delious.The waitress very helpful i left my mobile charger at home she went out of way to find me one so i could charge my phone . Would not hesitate to use the hotel again

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Black Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!