“wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 10 Gretna Green B&B and Inns
Mexborough, United Kingdom
“wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

myself and my husband stayed at the greenlaw with our 3 children ages 4 , 9 ,14 and my parents who are in there 50s over the weekend of 4th and 5th september 2011 for my brothers wedding ,we had 2 rooms room 6 and 8 these were very clean with towels tea and coffee facillates which were re stocked straight away as were the used towels etc as we had used them because the weather on the first day was very wet and cold the breakfasts were wonderful with lots of choice and our oldest son was given an adults breakfast without any extra cost the greenlaw was an excellent place to spend our weekend it was enjoyed by all of us and we would defanatly stay here again thankyou pauline for a great stay xx

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Aldershot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

A very warm welcome,our room was lovely and clean we enjoyed the breakfast there was lots of it....Thanks pauline for a nice stay x

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
cannock
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I would like to write a review but as our rooms were double booked all I can do is give ZERO for service. Although ours was the original booking we were made to feel that we had to go elsewhere. I am sure they felt they had dealt with the situation by making a few phone calls to try and find 2 double rooms which they did, an apology and "its never happened before" and returned our deposits. I would like to assure them that it was far from satisfactory and almost spoilt what was a very special weekend our sons' wedding, however, by reading some of the other reviews perhaps we had a lucky escape.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011 via mobile

Two good nites two very good meals & two excellent hosts see u again laws & trina

• Stayed July 2011
Cowes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Pauline was very welcoming upon our arrival. Our room was not en-suite as booked but a room with an adjacent bathroom. A public corridor had to be used for access to the bathroom.We felt very vunerable using the facilities as we had to almost get dressed.Not the principles of en-suite. The rooms were clean. The breakfast was acceptable except there was no porrige available, as it was summer. A choice of fruit juice was not available, a glass of orange juice being placed on your pre-allocated table whether you wanted it or not..
We would consider staying again but not in room 9.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
lanarkshire, scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We booked into the Alexander Guest House for a friends wedding and were double booked. The lady there was very helpful and found us another room at the Greenlaw across the road. We arrived here and the rooms were nice and clean, albeit freezing cold (Scottish weather in June) and the heaters didn't work. Breakfast was between 8 and 9 am which is a total joke with check out being 10am which I think is totally inconsiderate of the management when they know people are more than likely down and having late nights at weddings. We decided to give breakfast a miss as it was so early and checked out just after 10am (with our door being knocked at 1 minute past). The cheeky owner / manager then advised us we had to pay £15 on top of the £65 advertised for the room because we were booked in for breakfast (even though we hadn't booked in to the b&b ourselves)! False advertisement and a total rip off. Obviously the management are only in the business to make as much money as possible and not service their customer as any good businesses number 1 priority should be. NEVER AGAIN!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
grahame12, Owner at Greenlaw Guest House, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Perhaps our beds are too comfy!!
Your booking was passed to with your approval from Alexander house as they were double booked, we agreed to accept the booking on the same price of £70.00 bed & breakfast for a kingsize bed you were in fact upgreded to a kingsize 4 poster bed. On arrival you were told breakfast times a table was set and reserved for you, if you choose to spend extra time in bed that is your choice. Your door was knocked at 10.23 as all other guest had departed by 10.00 when you came down to check out I got nothing but abuse from you about both mine and Alexander house if you were unhappy that your booking had been double booked this was no reason to take it iout on us as, apart from the time you spent in bed you were with us for less than half an hour. May I suggest for your next stay away you stay at an Hotel who can offer you bed and lunch only thing is you will pay a lot more than £70.00 for it.
Whitehaven
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

Booked this hotel through late rooms

Turned up at 18:30pm, rooms were freezing, we put on the heaters, then went to see how strict the owner was regarding 10am checkout - (important to note, it was freezing outside, coldest weather on record)

I quote, "Can I ask you how strict the 10am check out is, " very strict, why what time is the wedding", 13:30, I reply, "oh that's OK then" --- 3hr 30 mins out in the cold, not a seconds thought about me or my family, no offer of any facilities to use at all - just a stone call expression and final statement, "10am checkout its in the contract".

Well this is my money all £145 of it & forget me if I'm mistaken but I'm the customer

I decided this first meeting with the owner to be so off putting, I immediately went to look elsewhere, I drove just around the corner to be met by Gretna hall, now considering I was just about to pay

£145 for Greenlaw the Gretna hall offered me the same B&B for £98, along with a bar etc, which Greenlaw does not have, what a stroke of luck, they also said 12pm checkout was fine and we could use the massive lounge area if we needed to.

Thank you Gretna Hall, shame on you Greenlaw

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Greenlaw Guest House? Share your experiences!