“COULD NOT ASK FOR MORE AND EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY” 5 of 5 stars

31 Lovers Walk, Dumfries DG1 1LR, Scotland   |
Ranked #8 of 55 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“COULD NOT ASK FOR MORE AND EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

This is a very comfortable bed and breakfast offering great value for money whilst offering all you need for a comfortable stay whilst like myself on business in Dumfries or for those taking in the wonderful area of Dumfries and Galloway.
The welcome is very warm from the lovely owners, my room was well appointed with a free view TV, tea and coffee facilities, free wifi, the bed was very comfortable with an a nice duvet, fresh, crisp white linen.
Breakfast was more than adequate, with a good choice, cooked to order.
All in all I would highly recommend the Torbay Lodge to anyone.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
dpcook, Owner at Torbay Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, November 25, 2010
Thank you so much for the review and it's great you noticed the new Duvet and fresh linen.

Suzy and I went for a break to Center Parcs in Penrith and were so impressed with the lodge's duvets that we decided to replace all ours with the same. Our bed linen is all professionally laundered by a local company and we think using white sheets, pillow cases and duvet covers allows guests to see just how clean they are!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

I stayed on the 25th August for one night. Derek and Susie were lovely, and after driving all day, the suggested pub was awesome :)
I had a double ensuite room which was two beds pushed together? The bed visibly sagged in the middle, but I slept on the side so I'm not sure if it would have made a difference if you slept in the middle.
The shower was super clean, no crappy mildew water mark stuff on the shower head (I so hate that).
Everything was pretty much on hand, and the town centre was easy walk. Good value too, what more can you ask for?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
dpcook, Owner at Torbay Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Thank you for the review.

I am glad you noticed the super clean showers as we have had new Mira controls and fittings in all rooms. Also, we have en-suites done with easy to clean shower board which also looks great. A new water regulator has also ensured excellent water pressure for all showers.

I have took note about the "zip and link" bed and from now on this room will be twin en-suite only. My wife and I have wondered about doing this for some time - so thank you so much for your thoughts.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Can't say thanks enough for such a very welcoming greeting to such a gem of a b&b. I was amazed at how fab my room was (rm2), good decor, brill comfortable bed and en suite very modern. Breakfast was cooked well and bacon was done spot on. Never going to stay anywhere else when I have to visit Dumfries. I consider my lucky to have found this b&b. Thank you to the owners for their wonderful efforts that have madr my stay welcoming and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2010
dpcook, Owner at Torbay Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, October 30, 2010
Thank you so much for the positive review.

Suzy and I are constantly trying to improve the Torbay Lodge and it's always so encouraging to know guests leave happy.

We always have improvements in mind and over the next few weeks (Nov 10) we will be having a new energy efficient boiler installed and also we are having the car park marked out better so that guests should have even more room to park.
Preston, England.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

This is a great Guest Hotel situated a genuine 5 mins walk from Dumfries Town Centre. We were met at the front door by Derek the owner who was polite and proceeded to show us to our room... he then asked if we needed anything or if we needed to know any directions etc. After a great day watching the local football at Queen of the South, we went for a few drinks and a meal in Dumfries and then returned to the B&B for a reasonably early night. The bed was comfy and the room and bathroom were both of a good size and in very good condition (Room 2). We arose to go for breakfast at about 9,15am and this was really good too... Porridge, Sausages, Thick Bacon, Beans, Tomatoes, Toast, Tea, Coffee, Juice.... the works !! I couldn't recommend this Guest House enough and would most definitely stay there when in the Dumfires area. Hope this review helps.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
dpcook, owner at Torbay Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, December 7, 2009
Thanks for the great review!

Shame Queen of the South never one but every point counts.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

What a pleasant, beautiful area, full of friendly Scots! I want to visit again.

My room was perfect for a small, unfussy person. I liked the size of the bed, the space underneath for storage, the desk & wardrobe, placement of tele for bed-sitting viewing, the big window, the fact that I never heard any noise from adjoining rooms or street traffic. The location is so great for those without a car, just a short walk from the rail station & you never hear any trains,

I did not take the ensuite room, but would next visit. I had a basin in the room, the toilet was literally next door & the big full bath a few steps further. No problem. The entire facility was clean & no 'fou-fou' cluttered any area. Breakfast menu selection was laid out the previous night, the hour you like & it served hot. Service is excellent. My hosts were beyond accommodating & much appreciated by me.

I like the ease of walking around the town, the paths on both side of the River Nith are exceptional & the wee Grierson cafe away from the main tourist area is great for food/drink. Nice coffee inside or out in a park-like setting, yummie sweets, great service, reasonable prices.
The library is close to the B&B, has internet service, friendly staff & a lovely old building. The many sites for 'Burns-Visiting' was great.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

Travelled to Dumfries with our daughters and their 10month old baby. Derek and Suzy made us all very welcome and went out of their way to ensure all our needs were met. All our rooms were large, clean and very comfortable. It is in easy reach of the town and the the car is parked off road. Breakfast was well cooked and plentiful. We will stay there again on our next visit to Dumfries.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

Suzy and Derek will certainly look after you well here. I was here, with my wife, on a classic car holiday. A 1966 Alfa-Romeo Giulia Spider, 1937 Austin 14/6 and a 1977 Triumph Stag but there are plenty more on offer. I'm sure Derek can put you in touch with the appropriate people to arrange something for you. He and his wife are very obliging and will certainly go the extra mile to ensure that your stay is memorable one. Just a 2 minute walk from the station and it's own car park made it ideal for us. Derek cooks the breakfasts to order and does a very good job too. Rooms are very clean as is the dining room. It's quite easy to walk into town in the evening for dinner in one of the pubs or restaurants. The Best Western Station Hotel is the nearest and pretty good with live music. The most popular pub to eat in is the Cavens Arms in Buccleuch Street (not on mondays) and the Granary pub and club in Loreburn Street is good too. The best restaurant is probably the Casa Mia which is an upmarket Italian place serving, would you believe Ostrch Fillet Steaks among many other things, however this is in Nunholm Road slightly out of town but easy enough in the car.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Torbay Lodge Guest House? Share your experiences!