“Brilliant Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ferintosh Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dumfries
Ferintosh Guest House
30 Lovers Walk, Dumfries DG1 1LX, Scotland   |
Ranked #13 of 50 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Downham Market, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We are definately going back to Dumfries and staying in this B & B.

The welcome we received from Robertson and Emma made us feel really special. Everything that anyone could possibly need was provided in the room. It was clean, comfortable and quiet. I love a decent shower and I was not disappointed, plenty of power to it, there again everything was provided in the en suite and it was lovely and clean.

There were no restrictions, we could come and go as we pleased. Umbrellas were available for use. Plenty of literature was available for walks and sightseeing

The breakfast was excellent, every day the same high standard was reached. Robertson and Emma are very knowledgable about the area, very friendly, but also very professional.

You know you are in Scotland in this B & B. I love their friendliness and "love that kilt" -

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ferintosh, Owner at Ferintosh Guest House, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Review of Guest

It was our pleasure. You are welcome anytime.

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Rawtenstall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had a brilliant welcome from our host and hostess. Nothing was too much trouble . We were given amap of Dumfries on arrival and shown where to find dog friendly pubs and eating places. There were treats for the dogs and a complimentary drink of whisky for the people!We were given a wide choice of cooked food for breakfast which was was really well cooked and presented. Thankyou jennny and bill b

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review of Guest

What charing people. Hope to see you again soon. It was a pleasure.

Whithorn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Having read other reviews for the Ferintosh Guest House I can only applaude the owners for their health conscious approach taken with guests who are staying there on behalf of Dumfries Royal Infirmary. Let me explain. I had to attend the hospital for a sleep study which involved an overnight stay. The study can be done at home and the equipment returned the following day, but as I live 65 miles from Dumfries, the hospital arranged and payed for an overnight stay at the the Ferintosh.So the only time I became aware of the wee dram was when I read about it on trip advisor.
As I don't drink alchol, the offer of a small whisky would have been politely refused, but the offer wasn't there. I do have a sweet tooth so the chocolates would have been accepted with glee.
I can't help but get the feeling that as we were guests at the expense of the hospital that we were not treated on a par with guests who visit as tourists. I'm sorry, but I didn't ask to be ill, and to feel like a second class citizen isn't nice. I have stayed at B&B's and hotels all over the world and know when the welcome is genuine, or as a hospital guest at the Ferintosh, enough to make you sick.
All other aspects of our stay were very good apart from the tiny TV high up .on the wall which would require a pair of binoculars

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ferintosh, Owner at Ferintosh Guest House, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Review of Guest

The Infirmary booked this couple in and paid the bill in full. They both got free bed and breakfast. The NHS nurse specifically told us to not give any alcohol to the people they book in. He was quite upset to discover we did not have a bar and that he would have to walk a couple hundred yards to the pub. There were chocolates in his room- like all other rooms. If he didn’t eat them, perhaps his wife did. At midnight we were awoken to a ‘crash’ from our dining room. We discovered him in the dining room, in the dark. He had knocked a stone bookend off a shelf onto a breakfast table. (‘crash’) He did not explain what he was looking for, but he did explain that the bookend fell all by itself.
He had the full Scottish breakfast, cereal, porridge, yogurt, cheese, juice, and 2 racks of toast. They then asked if they could have sandwiches for their lunch charged to the Infirmary. We told them no.
Also- saying that staying here is “enough to make you sick” is out of line, offensive, and completely untrue.

* 0 of 5 stars Attitude
* 0 of 5 stars Warmth/Friendliness
|* 0 of 5 stars Concern For Other Guests
* 3 of 5 stars Cleanliness
* 0 of 5 stars Manners/Politeness

* Would you recommend this guest to another B&B? No

This review is the subjective opinion of a Guest House owner and not of TripAdvisor LLC
Whithorn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Had been booked into Ferintosh by the hospital due to a appointment for my husband ,arrived early and went into Ferintosh to find out were to park .The owner seemed at bit offhand ,turned out he had just woke up ,the hospital told him we were arriving at four .he told us were to park which we did ,when we came back he told us bout breakfast and gave us the room keys .He then mentioned the bill which We,ve never been asked about on arrival before anywhere we went upstairs to the room which was nice although the tv was to high up and too small what we didn't like most of all was the overkill of the Scottish theme and the little notices everywhere .On the plus side they told us we could order take away and they would provide plates in the dining room which Emma later did ,she was really nice and helpfull also we noticed they also cater for animals too .Which is great if your bringing a dog breakfast was really nice and hot as well ,served by Robertson in a kilt sorry again Scottish theme overkill (and my husband comes from Glasgow ).Roberson gave us some helpful advice regarding my husbands hospital visit ,would stay again if Robertson was not so business like which Emma was not and they dialled down the Scottish theme which is aimed too much at tourists to sum up room nice ,food lovely ,Emma warm and we
coming ,Robertson nice enough but too offhand

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Review of Guest

The Infirmary booked this couple in and paid the bill in full. They both got free bed and breakfast. Most people ring the bell once. She rang it 14 times in 13 seconds. She moaned and complained to me, to my wife, and to other guests, contantly. She never once said ‘please’ or ‘thank you’.
I do not understand why people move from England to Scotland and then complain that there are Scots here or that Scotland is “too Scottish.” I’m sure she and her ‘husband from Glasgow’ would be happier if they moved back to England.
And, yes, 99% of a B&B’s business comes from tourists. It should not be a surprise that tourists come to Scotland.

* 0 of 5 stars Attitude
* 0 of 5 stars Warmth/Friendliness
|* 0 of 5 stars Concern For Other Guests
* 3 of 5 stars Cleanliness
* 0 of 5 stars Manners/Politeness

* Would you recommend this guest to another B&B? No

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Our party of five just loved this friendly B and B. We enjoyed chatting with Robertson, and of course with chocolates and a dram you can't go wrong. The in room coffee service tray had the best selection of biscuits, and varieties of teas we saw in 26 days of travel. We wanted to have dinner in (we loved Marks and Spencer food floor) and Robertson very kindly provided the breakfast room wine glasses and plates for us. Any request was met.

The sleeping areas are divided into two sections of the house, separated by some stairs and a fire door. The top level has four rooms, and we took three and were able to easily visit each other. I had room 3, which has its own bathroom-which is just not ensuite but right out the door and still private as I had the key-it worked out just fine, and even with a middle night trip or two I didn't see anyone. It was a great option.

This B and B is right across the street from the train station so we just walked over. Robertson supplied maps so some of our group hiked, and others walked into town (about 5 to 8 minutes).

It just felt comfortable and we would highly recommend staying here if you visit the lovely little town of Dumfries.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Review of Guest

A wonderful group of people. All guests should have your great attitude.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed at the Ferintosh for two weeks and it was just wonderful! Robertson and Emma are fantastic hosts and made my stay very relaxing and comfortable... It's directly across from the railway station and only a five minute walk from town....
Brilliant breakfast every day too, perfect poached eggs every time....! Hats off to the chef...! Being a fan of malt whisky, I was very pleased to find a compimentary dram of the finest Uisge Beatha in my room..!
Thanks guys, thoroughly enjoyed my stay..!

Andrew

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ferintosh, Owner at Ferintosh Guest House, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Review of Guest

It was our pleasure. Here for 2 weeks and not one complaint. Great conversation every morning as well. Cheers.

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Ferintosh was such an impressive B&B. We stayed there whilst riding from John O Groats to Lands End and the welcome we received when we arrived was incredible, above and beyond the call of duty.
We had covered 132 miles that day and rang ahead to say we would be arriving late. We ordered a Chinese takeaway which Robertson kindly paid for and kept warm for us. When we arrived, soaked through and dripping wet, our fantastic hosts welcomed us in, provided dry storage for our bikes, dried out our lycra overnight, provided comfortable beds and an outstanding breakfast.
The only bad thing about Ferintosh B&B was that one of the other guests insisted on talking to us about cholesterol for 20 mins over breakfast!
Really great B&B. Highly recommended. Thank you Robertson.
PS. Funnily enough Robertson my parents stayed with you about a month before we did, completely coincidentily! Small world!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Review of Guest

Great bunch of guys. Very tired and wet upon arrival- still maintained a positive attitude.

* Would you recommend this guest to another B&B? Yes

Been to Ferintosh Guest House? Share your experiences!