“A perfect overnight stop anytime, business or pleasure!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Rivendell B&B to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Rivendell B&B
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   105 Edinburgh Rd, Dumfries DG1 1JX, Scotland   |
Ranked #14 of 50 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Newark, United Kingdom
“A perfect overnight stop anytime, business or pleasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Heading north to family on Clyde Coast I took the scenic route and per-booked a room at Rivendel through an online booking agent. I picked it purely on Rating and Price and wasn't sure what to expect.
Due to traffic on the way north it was after 9pm when I pulled into the drive and first impressions were very positive with a well lit and beautiful frontage which was well signposted and easy to find.
A quick call to the owner as planned and he talked me through the safety deposit box for key issue and apologised as all the staff had finished for the evening. I should say he had offered to meet me at the B&B but as it turned out it there was no need.
What a room! Room 1 at the front with Four Poster Bed, absolutely spotless and immaculate. Crisp linen and fluffy towels with selection of teas, coffee and biscuits sealed the deal.
I headed out for a couple of drams with some friends and having left my car at the other side of town returned by local taxi.
After a sound sleep I was greeted by the cheery breakfast staff in the beautiful wood-panelled dining room. A full Scottish breakfast followed with lashings of hot toast and filter coffee and fruit juices. Then the best bit as Bruce, the owner, turned up and after a quick chat about his need to extend the business by building more rooms to keep up with demand, he offered, no insisted, on driving me across town to collect my car to help me get on the road north.
Rivendel is well deserving of its awards and accolades and I look forward to returning to sample the warm welcome of the staff and Bruce and the home comforts of his fine establishment.

Room Tip: Room 1 with huge Four Poster bed, I didn't see in any others.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

144 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bannockburn, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed at the Rivendell on 16 February 2013, what a gem of a bed and breakfast. Warm, cosy, beautiful room with a four poster bed.
The breakfast was lovely and only a 20 minute walk to the town centre, what more could you ask for. I will certainly be back all round excellent value for money. Well worth the four star rating and an award from Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: Ask for room number 1 as it has a view to the front and a four poster bed.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to stay here for a treat for her birthday. When we arrived we were welcomed by the b+b owner Bruce who was very friendly. He showed us to our room where we found a large four poster bed. The room was very clean and modern with a large flat screen tv and en suite bathroom with a fantastic power shower.
We had a key for the front door and could come and go as we pleased but found all guests to be very courteous providing a good quiet nights sleep.
In the morning we were given a full cooked breakfast, you could tell everything on the plate was very good quality and it tasted great. Cereals yogurts etc were also available.
Overall I would definitely recommend this clean quiet b+b it's full of character with a modern twist A++++

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here overnight and were very pleased to find a large, comfortable room with the unexpected bonus of a four-poster bed. The decor was simple and uncluttered, the bed comfortable, there were lovely leather easy chairs and a TV big enough to more than satisfy a sports mad husband. Although the room was at the front of the house, there was little noise from the traffic on the road outside. The welcome was friendly, as were the staff serving the excellent breakfast the following morning. The location was easy to get to, conveniently close to the centre of Dumfries and well located for visiting other parts of Galloway. Would strongly recommend Rivendell to anyone wanting to visit this area. Minor criticisms - it would have been good to have some information about places of interest in Dumfries and the surrounding area - and a full height wardrobe!.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My friend and I have just stayed here for 2 nights. What a wonderful place. It was very cold outside and the Rivendell was always warm and toasty on our return. We can't recommend this b & b enough. Can't fault anything. Thanks again to Bruce and staff for your lovely hospitality. We'll be back. x

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Burton upon Trent United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I was booked in here by a client I was working for. My work is full on and I need somewhere very comfortable and relaxing to recharge the batteries overnight. Arrived not knowing what to expect and I was delighted. My room was large and beautifully appointed. It was very clean with a comfy bed and everything I needed was there. Some wonderful original features in the room also helped, very Rennie Mackintosh feel to the whole place. Breakfast was very well cooked with a good choice, most important for me it arrived bang on the time I had requested. Thanks to Bruce and the team for making my stay as good as it could be. I will be requesting all my clients book me in here and I will be using this as a base to explore this beautiful area when I come as a tourist.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Booked via late rooms and got a very good deal. Warm comfortable rooms with all the facilities we required. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice of items. There were a few cobwebs in the room but the linen was clean and the bed comfortable. I found the stairs and hall quite dark and really had to be careful when coming down. Could do with an extra light but I will stay again next time I visit our relations.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Rivendell B&B? Share your experiences!