“First Class Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Dumfries
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“First Class Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Friendly staff room was clean the food was first class the location is spot on 5 min from train station. We went with an 5pm deal worth looking out for real value for money.

The only down side was we wanted a drink in the bar during the day as the weather was nice we wanted to sit out side but it was closed.

It didn't ruin it for us but I thought most hotel bars where opened all day?

First visit to Dumfries what a lovely part of Scotland and with the weather being nice it was an added bonus.

I would say to anyone who is visiting Dumfries to stay at this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room in the extension part of the hotel was big and spacious
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Walkden, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed here from 23rd-25th August, very clean hotel, brilliant staff and mostly good facilities. Think that the televisions in the room could be bigger and was disappointed with the steam room not working in the leisure club, also disappointed that snacks such as chocolate or crisps couldnt be purchased in the hotel and that room service was only until 9.30. However this is a very good hotel and I was impressed by the high customer service, cleanliness, and most of facilties. I would recommend people to stay here and would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your recent visit to our hotel.
I have spoken to our Leisure Club Manager following your feedback and he's confirmed that the problem with the steam room has now been rectified.
I hope that we'll be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and thank you for posting such a positive review.
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed here for two weeks for work. Both rooms I stayed in were clean and pleasant enough but nothing special. We ate in the restaurant one night - the food was good although the service was quite slow.
The staff on the reception desk were very friendly and helpful and the hotel is in a good central location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
I was pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel.
As you know our hotel is situated close to the centre of Dumfries and we also have ample free parking.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We visited Dumfries mid August to attend an ice skating competition and had a nice few days at the Cairndale Hotel. It made a pleasant change from the 'eurostandard' hotels that we normally end up in. It is an imposing sandstone building typical of the architecture in that area, with solid walls, floors and ceilings....All conducive to a good peaceful nights sleep, which was important with a 7am start at the rink. Our room (15) was a good size, nice and clean and well serviced with fresh linen, towels and toiletries. Breakfast was an enjoyable experience, with a large selection of cereals, fruit, buffet cooked items and porridge/kippers cooked to order. We ate in the lower bar (Sawny Beans?) one evening and the service was very good and the food was ok.
In fact, we hadn't booked and the dining area was full up, but the staff set us up in the bar area, which was a nice touch. My wife and daughter very much enjoyed the spa facility, while I strolled to the town. It really is just a few minutes walk from the centre.
Just a couple of suggestions....Try to open the lower bar on a Sunday evening for families and maybe extend the room service hours beyond 9.30 p.m. (i could be mistaken about the last point).
All in all, we had a really good experience at the Cairndale and should we revisit the area next year, would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review following your recent visit to Dumfries for an Ice Skating Competition.
We are very fortunate in having some of the best facilities in the UK for competitive ice skating at Dumfries Ice Bowl and we are lucky to have such an excellent venue that is now starting to attract major International events to the area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Really liked the Cairndale Hotel. Note the hotel is not a modern clinical hotel establishment, but a local sandstone edifice that is possibly Art Deco or Art Nouveau in design.
Parking is around the rear, and the steps from the car park are quite steep, that said the more ambulant challenged amongst us appear to be able to park at the front.
The hotel reception is lovely with lots of period touches, which included the entrance doors, the staircase and the staircase mural. We found the reception staff lovely and very attentive and welcoming and they appeared genuinely interested in our stay and our potential itinerary.
There are two bars at ground level, the largest is equipped with a balcony that is splendid in the evening. The smaller bar although quite diminutive has a cosy feel and chatting to other guests cannot be escaped.
My wife and I really felt that the spa was very nice, although one is advised to use prior to 5.00pm.
The café bar for après’ spa is very nice also and reasonably priced.
The room that we were allotted, and one needs to be conscious that we were on a Group On deal with upgrade, was spacious and nice. The room was also relatively quite when you consider that we where located within the town on a busy main road. The breakfast was very nice, with lots of choice and the staff once again lovely and attentive. It is very possible that we will be visiting again either this year or next.

Room Tip: If on a Group On deal then get an upgrade.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your recent trip to the hotel.
Your comments about our staff being genuinely interested in making your visit enjoyable are particularly appreciated.
It would obviously be great to welcome you back to the hotel later in the year and if you keep an eye on our website you'll see some excellent 'deals' in the coming months!
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I rarely go to trip advisor but I feel so strongly, that I feel this merits a review.
I was on holiday on the isle of arran when I found out a family member had fallen ill and I had to come home suddenly so I booked the hotel as a stop over . I was not being frivolous in the booking but I did say I had a family emergency.
I said I would book for Saturday night but as things developed I had to cancel and said could I possibly stay Friday instead as they had said I would be charged £59 for cancelling.
as things transpired my family member was transferred to intensive care on Friday morning so I had to rush back to surrey as soon as I possibly could so I called the hotel on Friday morning and explained my situation
I said a family member war critically ill and could they waive the deposit.
They said no to both deposit and room charge , £109
I can't understand what kind of business runs, where there is no room for critical illness in families.
I have told my friends not to book here ever because the guy on reservations said to me
we have a business to run
well
it will be without any of my friends or clients

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Our cancellation terms are always explained to guests at the time of booking and confirmed in writing by post or email.
A room was booked on Monday 5th of August for a double room on Saturday 10th of August and a non refundable deposit of £50 was taken.
Email confirmation was forwarded the same day which also highlighted the hotel's cancellation terms.
The hotel received a call from the guest on Wednesday 7th of August suggesting that they wished to cancel the booking as their dog had been hurt. Whilst being sympathetic the receptionist on duty highlighted that as the deposit on the booking was non refundable this could not be re-imbursed.
The following day the hotel received another call saying that the guests required to change their booking from the Saturday night to the Friday night.
As well as changing the booking to the Friday night a deduction was made on the rate to reflect the difference in price on the Saturday night rate.
It was also discussed that should the guests be unable to arrive in time for dinner on the Friday night a further deduction would be made for this.
On the day of arrival we received a further call to say that the guests would not longer be staying because of a "family emergency."
It was explained that because the cancellation was within the hotel's cancellation period and it was unlikely that we'd be able to re sell the room the room would be fully chargeable albeit with the deduction for the cost of dinner.
As a family run business we are not unsympathetic to changes in circumstances but we do take exception to any suggestion that if we don't waive deposits and legitimate room charges we'll get negative reviews posted on TripAdvisor.
Anyone reading the review can form their own opinions and whilst I would accept many dog owners consider their pets to be part of the family the review fails to accurately highlight actual events or that the real reason for the late cancellation was because the guest's dog was unwell.
glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We received a warm welcome on arrival at the Cairndale and the positive stuff just continued throughout our 2 night stay. Room was clean, comfortable with everything we required. Breakfast good and leisure club well equipped and clean. We would highly recommend a meal in Reivers restaurant within the hotel (3 courses of delicious food for £17.50) Dumfries and surrounding areas have alot to offer. We hope to return.
The Thomsons , glasgow

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such an excellent review following your recent visit to the hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Been to Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!