“Good food, bad service” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aberdeen
“Good food, bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Went for a meal to the County Hotel recently and was disappointed by the lack of staff and the impact it had on the service of our meal. One poor waitress (who was lovely) was left serving almost the whole restaurant on a busy Saturday night and we got the impression she was also serving people in the bar. Have had this problem at the Willow before and thought it was a one off, complained and got pretty rubbish feedback from the owners.

Like some small, independent hotels/restaurants, complaining isn't worth doing as it goes no further than the owners who do nothing to listen to what you have to say, and nothing to verify problems. When you complain about something you feel that they are basically thinking "fine, there's nothing I can do, don't come back"... so TripAdvisor is probably the best place to let complaints out about these sort of places and let others know that the food is fine, if you don't mind waiting and getting annoyed at the unorganised service!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
TrondDalby, Owner at County Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
As owners of the County Hotel for almost 9 years, providing good customer service has always been imperative to us and I can assure the reviewer that we do take all feedback very seriously. We actively ask our guests for feedback and have also recently completed a mystery guest exercise investigating all elements of our product and service delivery to ensure that we are continuously improving. I am happy that you enjoyed the food, and we do our best to create the kind of experience guests are expecting. Unfortunately, occasionally hospitality operations will not go as planned, restaurants can suddenly get busier than anticipated, and for a period of time service will suffer. We apologise for this, and will continue to do our very best to meet our guests' expectations at all times.

We do support tripadvisor and value all feedback, be it public or otherwise.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Perth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

After a 2 hr journey to visit my 84 yr old granny we went out to take her for a nice lunch. Went to the County as it is walking distance from her house. It was raining, my sister and I had our babies with us, 7 months and 10 months. We were greeted as we went in by a gentleman, we asked for a table and 2 high chairs at that another man who was carrying 2 highchairs to another table abruptly said there was only 1 more and it was broken. Now this is unfortunate and not why we were unhappy. We were unhappy because the table that got the highchairs their children were Old enough to sit on adult chairs and looked far too big for a high chair, infact they were sitting on adult chairs whilst waiting for the highchairs to be brought over. I even pointed this out and at no point did either of the two staff acknowledge this or politely ask the women if they would kindly give the chairs to children who actually need them.
There was no apology and we were left to walk out in the rain to find somewhere else.
Not a friendly welcome I will not be going back and neither will my family who all live in the area!

Stayed August 2012
TrondDalby, Owner at County Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for providing feedback regarding the service you received in our restaurant. We always advice groups of guests to reserve their table beforehand, allowing us time to have a table ready. Unfortunately, we had run out of high chairs, and we did not feel it was appropriate at the time to inconvenience other guests that were already seated. We did our best to recommend other places nearby. Again, thank you for your review.
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We recently had a meal in the County Hotel's Willow Brasserie. We booked at lunchtime for an evening meal. On arrival there was a terrible noise above us which at first we thought was thunder, then we thought they were moving tables upstairs in the function room for an evening function. When it went on for quite a while we enquired and we were told that they had 28 thirteen year olds having a buffet and the noise was the scraping of wooden chairs on the wooden floor everytime they went up for more food. This went on for over an hour and although we complained three times (to the owner) as did most other tables - nothing was done! Then ther was the slow service - one waitress was serving the whole restaurant, food and drink. (an experience which was a repeat of the last time I went there for a meal - but I thought it might just of been a one off!) It took us 3 hours to have our meal and we were asked if we wanted our coffees before our sweet as they were too busy serving other tables to make our sweets up! The food when it arrive was very good but perhaps more attention should be paid to customer service and hiring of more staff as the overall experience was not enjoyable. We visit Selkirk regularly but wont be in a hurry to go back to the County for a meal as the slow service makes it an ordeal not a nice meal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
TrondDalby, Owner at County Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are aware that our service on this Saturday night was not as good as it should have been. As the reviewer points out, we had a group of teenagers in for an afternoon meal in a separete room. Unfortunately, they were delayed on the way and arrived an hour late. This caused delays for the rest of the evening and some noise from above.
We do apologise for this - we do not normally keep our banqueting room and restaurant open at the same time.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Place was fairly easy to find, followed the road into Selkirk and on getting to town centre its almost a sharp left and you in the hotel car park. Stayed here two nights. Ate in the little Italian next door which is next to and part of the hotel, it was really nice and also ate breakfast both days which was great and lunch one day which was also good quality. Service here was great, although staff seem to do a multiple of jobs they are fast efficient and really friendly. Room wasn't so great, it was clean which should be a given in any hotel, but it was noisy as it overlooked the main street and we could hear deliveries and people shouting at night. It was old, pretty shabby and had basically seen better days, the shower room\toilet room was so small you could hardly move. Also, the floor seemed to be really uneven as we both almost fell over getting out of bed, you think you are really drunk at first and then realize its just the floor!

All in all, this could be a great wee hotel but the rooms need a complete overhaul.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TrondDalby, Owner at County Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We are pleased that you were happy with our staff and the service that was provided during your stay, and also our food offering.
The hotel is centrally located, and occasionally there will be some noise from street level. Our bedrooms are to a VisitScotland 3 star level, and are in a continuous - albeit slow - improvement process. This should be reflected in the price.
I hope you enjoyed your stay with us - our aim is to offer comfortable hospitality in the Scottish Borders.
North East
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We found this hotel in the local accommodation guide, traditional appearance outside and the reception area but the rest is very modern minimalistic decor which we personally found lacked character for an old inn. We were up two flights of stairs but room ok and clean, nice en suite. Dinner was pretty basic for the price we both had the steak which I would not recommend but there was a good choice on the menu. In the bar lounge again modern decor but comfortable and friendly staff. Nice breakfast served in first floor dining room. Would only revisit if there was a special offer price.

Room Tip: Try for first floor if they have any.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Galashiels, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

My parents live in Selkirk yet this is the first time we have ever been to La Contea. My Boyfriend, my brother, my sister in law and I are all Vegetarians and we were amazed by the choices available to us but fear not meat eaters as both my mum and dad had brilliant meat and seafood dishes! We all had different starters and main courses to each other and were all left completely satisfied. We were served by a lady called Kelly who was very informative and friendly. She also made us aware that the entire menu is available for take away!! We will definitely be going back to this lovely local restaurant. Also located next door is a bar that does tasty cocktails and wine for before or after.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cambridgeshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Travelled down from Glasgow, as I had a early morning appointment in Galashiels. Looked online and nothing in Galashiels really caught the eye. Looked at the County and thought, yeah it will do - decent price for a twin room - small town/village where there is bound to be some real ale so went to book it. I always book twins or doubles for me so I have room to work, it brought a wry smile when at booking the price was actually reduced for single occupancy. £ 41 a bargain.

We rocked up and found a private car park, - result. The check in was seemless, the chap (one of the partners who owned the gaff) offered to take bags up for us and explained everything. My room I thought was well presented, clean and roomy, my colleague was in Room 6. I have no idea what the other 4 are like, but ask for Room 6 if you want space (no view to speak of) - I was disappointed with mine after (despite a lovely outlook onto the main street), yet there was nothing wrong with mine. If you don't get room 6 don't ask what its like.

We were there in the blistering heat when the daytime temperatures hit 30 degree. The hotel has a bistro restaurant and served meals in the bar also. Plus they have a Pizza Restaurant attached, however the only facilities for outside eating were a table and chairs outside the bar on the pavement which was disappointing. As a result we walked up the street to find a takeaway (of which there are plenty) and enjoyed the fresh air.

I tend to judge pubs by the language of the people outside having a fag, so a walk down the main street ensured that a the hotel bar was the best place in the village to have a drink, With real ale in bottles having such a long life I wonder why country hotels like this do not promote and sell bottled local real ale. I could have killed for a few bottles but instead suffered Cold Guinness. However the lounge bar is a thoroughly pleasant environment and myself and my colleague spent over 3 hours sorting out global economic issues whilst our UHT Beer took a grip. We were in quite early and there were few people in so the bar staff brought our drinks to the table. Towards the end of the our stay a few locals began to arrive.

I was at the front above the main street and despite Selkirk being on a main A road, it quietens down early enough to get a good nights sleep and after enjoying 28/29 degrees in the day the rooms were pretty hot but whether it was the guinness or not, I slept through without issue with the sliding sash open on full - until the church bells woke me up at 5.00, then 6.00 then 7.00.

Didn't matter as I am an early riser and I was as bright as a button, except I have never felt so relaxed on a business morning in my life. Despite a few guiness I was far from over the top and there was no issues in the morning, the hotel just has a happy aura about it which puts you in a very positive frame of mind . Free wifi in the room, although my colleague said Room 6 had signal issues. Breakfast was just class - it just seemed so out of place having an bacon and eggs presented a la carte.

How on earth these guys make this pay is beyond me. I guess midweek it is just about being open. The women behind the bar said the restaurant had 2 covers all night, the lounge bar itself was very quiet and they were not taking the rise by overcharging for drinks so that was hardly a money spinner. The time they have been there suggests they know what they are doing and with a couple function rooms have a very nice venue.

Seriously whether its one night or two, if you find you self in TD postcode looking for a short stop, take a look at this place. I cannot think of one negative

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to County Hotel? Share your experiences!