“It really did feel like it was home from home!” 4 of 5 stars

Castle Venlaw Hotel
Edinburgh Road, Peebles EH45 8QG , Scotland   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
“It really did feel like it was home from home!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My partner booked the hotel as a surprise for me and she found a real cracking place for us to stay. The room was huge and very comfortable. The bathroom was massive and it had a huge tub! The bar and restaurant were superb! I had one of the best meals I've ever eaten in a restaurant and it was rounded off with excellent service. The grounds were complimented by fantastic weather, a lovely outdoor area with views to please everybody! I will stay there again, I reckon Christmas would be amazing at Castle Venlaw!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the castle venlaw when we went to the final day of the open as it was less than an hour from muirfield.
Arrived way too early for check in but sat in the sunny garden and had a nice light lunch and a few drinks until our room was ready.room was of a good size with a comfy bed and en suite with lovely fluffy towels.only had breakfast on one day as we left early to get to the golf but on the day we did have it we both enjoyed it.owners and staff were all very friendly and helpful and were generally very welcoming.food in the hotels restaurant was of a high standard and good value for money.
All in all we thought that it was worthy of 4 stars rather than the three it has.would stay here again if we were in the area.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My sister and I were tracing our roots which took us to Peebles. We were thrilled to be staying in a castle! Our twin room was in a turret on the 2nd floor. There is no lift in this building so we had to drag our suitcases up the stairs. We did have some help from the night lady when we got there late. Our room was clean and comfortable with an ensuite bathroom. The toilet "sang" everytime we flushed it, which was fine during the day but not so much at night...haha. The breakfasts were wonderful and tasty. I appreciated the black pudding and the fresh fruit and homemade jams. We also had dinner there one night and it was very good as well. I really enjoyed the walk through the woods to get to town. The only downside was that the wifi only worked in the front desk area. So I couldn't sit in my room to send e-mails to my family in Canada.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

First of all the waiting staff are lovely :). But we arrived with our small very obedient dog whom we were stern,y told to get on a lead,which we did although with the previous enters he was allowed to sit beside us lead free,we later found out that the reason our dog was to be on a lead was the owner has cats ,well this was a real problem I am not a cat over at all and we ended up Ravi g all f our deserts as the pesky cats were under our chairs etc tormenting the life out our poor dog ,the cat was shooed away three times but just kept coming back ,te last straw was when t jumped n the table. Yuk. I will never be back the food was ok to sy the least but the customer service was nil.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
venlawmanager, Owner at Castle Venlaw Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
After reading yet another review from you, I can only comment that I find your review farcical and inaccurate.

Since your last visit in May 2012, you are obviously perfectly aware that dog's must be leashed whilst on our property - the 2 signs indicating this are still clearly in the same place and position as before, so you must have once again walked past them; I can't say that you could have missed them as they are not exactly small. Bearing in mind that you are on private property, we expect guests and non-residents to pay heed to our policy, which clearly you think doesn't apply to you and only ignorance is in the way here.

There are several animals (both domestic and non) that roam around the Castle grounds, what do you wish me to do with them, Sellotape them to the grass so as they don't bother you?

We do have cats, yes and so do our neighbours along with dogs and so forth and they do not have an issue putting their dogs on leads and going back to the point here, dogs being leashed has absolutely nothing to do with us or our neighbours having cats, it's to do with you. It's about you being a responsible owner who should be in control of your dog and being able to control your dog, should the need arise, at all times in public places, not least whilst you are on private property, which the Castle is and effectively is my back garden, so to speak, so once again your thoughts and comments on the matter in inaccurate and incorrect.

Your next point of my cat terrorising your dog is completely laughable - how can a 1 year old kitten 3 times smaller than you dog terrorise it? I mean really, bit of a Garfield & Odie moment going on here that I should have caught on camera, had it been true - the cats were in at the point you had your lunch, snoozing the afternoon away in their kitty beds as it was too warm outside for them and I note that you stayed for dessert too, so all couldn't have been that annoying or bad.

For complete clarification, it was I who told you to put the dog on a lead after it had wandered a few meters away from you, where you couldn't see it and it was about to perch to foul on the grass, possibly again, judging by the fouling left at where you were sitting.

As you have said in your last pass-remarkable review that you wouldn't be back, I was disappointed to see you in our beer garden once again approximately 13 months later.

Once again, you state this time that you won't be back, so for once, bide by your own words and advice in your review and simply don't come back.

Quite frankly, you will not be entertained by either myself or my team at Castle Venlaw.
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our second time for an overnight stay at Castle Venlaw and, as with the first, we were not disappointed. The hotel has a very welcoming informality about it, the owners were working in the garden when we arrived, together with their two cats. This time we were in a standard room, but it was very clean and well appointed and it looked like the room and bathroom had been refurbed very recently. Great view over Peebles as well. We were on a DBB basis and had a drink in the very cosy bar pre-dinner. This, the food and the service were all excellent and we were made to feel very welcome by all the staff. There is also a lovely walk up into the hills above the castle. We shall definitely return, but next time will stay more than one night. Highly recommend Castle Venlaw.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were named after Scotch whiskies which I think was cool.
We arrived on 3 May around 7.30 pm and it was hard raining. The hotel looked like a Dracula castle; the next morning it was bright and sunny which completely changed the looks.
It's based on a mountain so good views!
Rooma were comfortable with complimentsry water etc. Had a problem getting hot water in the evening.
The hotel's restaurant was great - friendly and helpful staff and the lamb was delicious.
Look out for the cat with a bell around the neck:)

• Stayed May 2013
Alloa, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My daughter bought us a dinner, bed and breakfast deal as a present. It was unique as it is a castle. Easily found and still retaining its character. Our room was reached by a circular stair as is in castles. The special deal was worthwhile. The food was good, the evening meal very tasty, and the home made jams at breakfast were a nice touch. Very nice for a short break, with comfortable beds and large immaculate bathrooms en suite.

Room Tip: There are no lifts so if you have mobility issues, ask where your room is situated. Don't know...