“Weekend stay” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Liverpool
“Weekend stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I can honestly say that the only thing I did not like was haggis, but I had to try it.
My wife and I had sirloin steak it was the BEST steak we had tasted for ages, the chef cooked them exactly as we had asked and they were perfect.

Visited February 2014
Gordon I, Owner at The Tontine, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you "GrandadLiverpool" for your review. A quick, sharp review regarding your restaurant experience and your feedback is much appreciated. Mind you, whats not to like about Haggis!
Kate & Gordon Innes (Hotel Proprietor's)

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Family lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

This Hotel was selected for a venue on my (and my wifes) vist to relatives nearby. The hotel itself is quite grand and the reastaurant has nice views, the food itself is well cooked and plentiful, however the menu could perhaps be a little more varied, the service was, as has previously been stated 'relaxed' which, in my view is a bonus as I personally detest being rushed through a meal. All in all an enjoyable culinary experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gordon I, Owner at The Tontine, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thankyou "RealLeighman" for your recent review via Tripadvisor. All in all you enjoyed your experience and visit. We were interested to read your reflection and request for a more varied menu and would ask for a suggestion or two in order we can further deliver on guest feedback and requests. We do endeavour to provide what the customer wants and menus can be tailored and changed in future to reflect specific customer feedback and suggestions.
Thanks again for taking time to post feedback via the Tripadvisor site!
Kate & Gordon Innes (Tontine Hotel, Peebles)
Lexington, Kentucky
“Pretty Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Shame we were rushed for this one as we were warned in advance that it was notoriously slow (coming from the US, that made it VERY slow). Were meeting some friends for a quick bite before driving through to Edinburgh (they were also passing through on the way to Inverness). Had a ciabatta sandwich (tuna melt) and it was very good. Thought it was all a little formal for us for a Saturday lunchtime but wont hold that against it. Service was good. Girl accidentally ran wrong amount on the bill but fessed up immediately and gave me the difference back in cash so all was well.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gordon I, Manager at The Tontine, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you "Aljarov" for your comments, feedback and review. A "pretty good" score for us although we are concerned that we were "reviewed in advance" as being notoriously slow. We do not recognise this feedback from any other reviews or indeed feedback. However we accept your review and thanks for the feedback regarding incorrect billing, which I am glad to see was quickly changed.
Gordon & Kate Innes (Tontine Hotel, Peebles)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Always worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

As a local Hotel i have dined here many times, food always very nice with good choice and portion sizes plentiful with even a mini fish supper dish available if you can't manage a full one.
On my most recent visit i found my lasagne too salty for my taste but my salad was very nice.
Menu doesn't change often which is good in a way if you have your favourite but depending how often you visit can be limiting. All food what you would say as pub / gastro food but i can say the Afternoon Tea is the best value and variety i have found anywhere and definitely worth a try. All staff are polite, efficient and surroundings are lovely,lounge being very cosy and welcoming with lovely coal fire and chaise lounges, table and chairs. Then 2 separate dining areas one being more contemporary and relaxed and then the other being more formal (used more for functions) Toilets have recently been refurbished and decorated making them up to date which makes a difference in an old building.If in the area give it a try but can be very busy !

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gordon I, Owner at The Tontine, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you very much for your post via TripAdvisor. We are all pleased to note you are a regular visitor, but I feel we must correct you on a couple of points. We do infact change the menu every 3 months (quarterly) to take account of some seasonal variations and food availability. Off course we dare not change our "Fish & Chips" or indeed many of the dishes, Scampi, Burger, Lasagne, yes gastro pub dishes but firm favourites with our regular clientele. However we do feel we can "push the boat out" a little with finer dining dishes, Confit Duck leg, Rump of Border Lamb, Corn Fed Chicken Breast with a wild mushroom & tarragon broth and Sea Bream with Asparagus Fettucine, four dishes recently changed on the menu as at 24 Jan. The menu does indeed cater for a wide range of tastes and we very much agree with you, it is indeed always worth a visit!
Many thanks again for taking time to post your constructive feedback!
Kate & Gordon Innes.
lanark
“Excellent High Tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We took High Tea in the Tontine just before Christmas. It was a miserable day and we'd been for a walk along the riverside and were wet and cold. Coming into the Tontine with the lovely welcoming fires in the front room and having High Tea with my daughter was just lovely.

Visited December 2013
Gordon I, Owner at The Tontine, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thanks for posting your excellent review via TripAdvisor, Very pleased to note your recommendations about the fires in our lounge areas which are a great draw in the colder winter months. I agree, you can't beat a lovely afternoon tea at "The Tontine".
Many thanks, Kate & Gordon Innes.