“Christmas party night” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Biggar, United Kingdom
“Christmas party night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Fantastic!! Well organised dinner bed and breakfast party night where our rooms were all together, immaculate and with plenty if space. The pool was great - unfortunately the steam room was out of order. The dinner was excellent with a disco and casino room. Breakfast was good. Only criticism is another bar being opened as there was a long queue at the bar in the hall! But all round superb value for money and we will def be back:-)

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Valletta, Malta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was once my "God" of a hotel. We would pass by when I was young and say "Wouldn't it be great to holiday there." That was when I lived in Scotland 50 years ago. Now I live abroad, but visited Scotland in September 2013 with my son his wife and family. Naturally, I wanted to visit the hotel to "show it off" - this grand and beautiful hotel and so went there for afternoon tea. I was utterly, utterly, disgusted. It smells, a very stale dirty smell,, it's no exaggeration to say it's dirty and we couldn't get out fast enough. We ate - actually left everything on the plates - in the conservatory where every table was matted with stale caked food.

The setting of course, is wonderful ..amongst the Scottish border country.. but...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kelso
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I have read the reviews and all I can say is that if you want a Travel Lodge then go there, this is old style.....style! Where else could you turn up and the recepionist and the Head Waiter remember you...OK maybe by name or by sight but they make the effort.

I have been to many places and keep coming back here because it may be old fashioned but it has class and style.

We had a great break , food excellent, service excellent and ambience excellent. Stewart on the coffee, Ashley, Robyn, Helen (with her blow up zimmer frame), everyone on reception and the Head Waiter whose name I forget were the epitome of what a stylish hotel should be, don't get me wrong for £200+ a night you can get better but for this price how can you fail. They do what it says on the tin and more.

Hopefully the lady(?) who came to the bar and demanded that the (Christmas) music be turned down ( as she said,,,,because it is Christmas!!!!!!) will read this, pain in the backside with no thought for anyone else but yourself,. when you arrived the music was drowned out by your braying laughter, have a thought for others. Other customers can be a pain, she said to me that she hadn't noticed me(despite being in direct eyeline) and that the music was too loud for her party, I had been ther for 20 minutes and was quite happy.

If you want to climb a high wire or have re-birthing go elsewhere but for the price and for the style go here. Faded grandeur..yes, high price ...no.

Trip Advisor know alls probably not for you, for the cogisenti yes.

Room Tip: We always seem to get a good Family room, maybe there are'nt any bad ones.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Called with a view to staying,spent our silver wedding here!!omg. How things change,we struggled up staircase ,my husband on crutches,to be told at top ,oh lift to the side! Receptionist barely acknowledge us,we asked for lunch 2.15,go into sitting room,very old decor, no music very stuffy, two couples sat in there already,one eating with a baby,the others just looking cross! We waited 10 mins,waiter walked past 4 times,in end I asked at reception?bit busy,,,4 customers! The two beside us asked how long we had in the hotel? I said looking to stay,,,no,,no,,she said they had waited 45 mins for a sandwich!! There tea had gone cold waiting,scones microwaved! After waiting ages guy brought scones to us. But No Tea,,or plates....totally useless guy,,,then the other couple shouted. Where was there sandwich?50 mins in the end they left everything on table and said off into peebles cafe .toilets old. Dusty,,net curtains still dirty like last time! Trading on former glory. Horrible...staff,,,

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed one night at Peebles Hydro, we'd read the reviews and went with low expections, and at £65 each for a 3 course meal and breakfast we didn't expect much. I am a gluten free vegan and I thought I'd be getting the usual offer a mish mash of boiled veg or an excuse for a salad. We stayed in the new wing which not as glam as the main part of the hotel was really warm, we had read the reviews of the hotel being drafty, which it is in places, but we lucked out with this room, a warm front facing view with a glorious view over the hills. Basic, but clean with everything we needed. The spa was a bit old school and drafty but excellent staff, a huge pool and fully equipped gym. The sauna and jacuzzi were a wee bit small, but overall a very cool place. And again, hello, £65 each including this facility. Dinner was included in the price, a 3 course meal, ok so it wasn't Claridges, but much better than a lot of meals I've been offered. Breakfast was a treat, tons of fruit, cereals, juices, toasts, and the usual warm breakfast banquet a total feast. Angus one if the main restaurant staff members couldn't do enough for me and was very concerned in making sure I'd have enough to eat with my dietry requirments. I felt very cared for. To top it all off you can walk out the front door and within minutes join one of the many marked beautiful walks over rolling hills or through forest. Or you can pop into town and check out the shops. Ok, so I was concerned when I read the reviews but at this price I thought what you got for your money was incredible. I think many of the reviews are unfair. Excellent staff, great location, good value for money.

• Stayed November 2013
West Lothian
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Arrived on the 23rd Nov, booked in and went to sun lounge for compimentary cream tea, after 15 mins watching waiter coming in and out and niot coming near us, I asked at reception if anyone else was serving, total chaos, walked out as didnbt want to waste anymore time, on returning to hotel, partner went for a swim, I went to room, for the best oart of an hour I had to listen to kids running riot and banging doors, then my partner came back to say that the pool was frezzing. We had dinner at hotel, food was okay and service from young waiter was really good, we went to lounge bar, only to be told that it was closing and we had to go to bar in ballroom! 25 mins later it finally opened, however it was so cold in the ballroom you couldnt sit in it, I didnt want to sit in a freezing cold room listening to some band, I wanted to sit in a quiet bar having a drink. Breafast again was okay however the buffet station was really small for the amount people that were there, overall I found the hotel comfy bit slightly jaded.

Room Tip: Ask for one to the front of the hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

stayed here with a friend for 1 night. the hotel itself could do with a bit of tlc and upgrade. the swimming pool area want as clean as could be the jacuzzi wasnt warm and changing rooms were not clean. on plus side the room was big and cosy heating was great. staff at reception were friendly and helpful. the manager should be giving the waiters and waitresses a bonus they were all fantastic at dinner and breakfast very friendly polite and great service so a big thank you to the staff. i have worked in the hotel trade and know how hard good staff are to find so this hotel has keepers

• Stayed November 2013

Been to Peebles Hydro? Share your experiences!