“Not a good experience.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Not a good experience.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have waited for a full week to get feed back of my complaint i have had none so have decided to put it on TA.

Peebles Hydro Hotel

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you with regards my recent visit to your Hotel with my family. ROOM 141.
Having booked into your Hotel for four nights we left after one totally unhappy with our stay.
I was asked to give feed back so I will.
First complaint, Having first arrived at the Hotel we were asked about dinner and at what time we would like to dine at that time we were told that it would cost £14.00 per night for my son to eat with us. I was gob smacked as I thought at least there would be a bar for dinner if you did not want to go to the dining room at no time did I think it was the only place to eat. This is ridiculous this is the only Hotel I have stayed in that does not have a bar and a fine dining room to eat in and this seems to me to back parents with one child into a corner as there is no way I would let my son run about a hotel on his own (NOT IN THIS DAY AND AGE) this is not just because my son has learning difficulties . Also when I told the receptionist he had learning difficulties and that’s why I wanted him to eat with us she said sorry cuz basically he looked normal There is more than obvious physical impairments and it sounded quite insulting to me she also said she would try and get the dinning fee waved but she would have to get back to us to confirm this but no one did get back to us. I am amazed that putting this charge on does not cause you many complaints and in my mind definitely does not make your Hotel family friendly. Also it was said there was a dress code (NO JEANS ETC) yet it was perfectly fine to come in with fancy dress as the Hen party did this makes no sense to me.
Secondly, To put a family into the first floor when a wedding is going on is crazy after it turned 4.30 am with no sleep we just gave up and got dressed and packed as by that time we were just fed up with the loud singing and banging doors and loud voices.
On the service side of things we were acknowledged twice in the evening everyone else seemed to just scowl although I did appreciate the Lady trying to sort out the situation by giving an upgrade in the morning and being very attentive but I hope you will understand by that time I would have felt far too awkward after having to complain so much.
On the condition of the Hotel itself I found very disappointing, Frayed carpets grubby paintwork in the corridors and in the room, A hole in the bedroom wall and Dirty windows, No iron, The door to our room would not close unless we slammed it. The toilet seat was the cheapest possible also the heating in the room never seemed to come on and some of the hotel areas were also cold especially the bar area. Also the shower was the oldest I have seen. I realise now we were in a basic room but as far as I am concerned what we were due to pay in total was way over what this package was worth. I have stayed in four star hotels and sadly Peebles does not even come close to them.
On a health and safety point door chains on the windows to me are not an acceptable restrictor as they can be easily removed. A child could deal with these easily the correct restrictors for these windows should have a cable with a key lock.
All in all this was a really bad experience and I would not use a Mc Millan hotel again if this is how they are operated.

Room Tip: Be very wary of the so called special deals they are not that special. Make sure you are not on a l...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Here is our response. As you can see, it was posted on 15th July, 6 days after we received Mr E's email. As a family director, I personally investigate all complaints very carefully before responding. I was away for a few days, hence the short delay. Mr E told our staff on departure that he would be writing to us, and was advised at that time that he would receive a reply from a Director in due course.

15th July 2012

Mr NE

Dear Mr E

Thank you for your email of 9th July. I am sorry for the delay in responding – I have been away from my office. I was very sorry to hear that Peebles Hydro did not meet expectations, to the extent that you felt it necessary to cut short your stay. I was contacted on the morning of your departure, and in the circumstances, I was happy to authorise a refund for you despite your non-refundable package.

Firstly, I am sincerely sorry that you were disturbed by noise from the wedding party. Some of the wedding guests were extremely inconsiderate to other hotel guests and I completely agree that this was unacceptable. We are currently reviewing our booking procedures to ensure that this sort of situation does not re-occur.

Our children’s rate of £25.00 includes children’s high tea in Lazels, accommodation, breakfast and full complimentary use of all of our leisure facilities. Parents are most welcome to join their children in Lazels, and also to eat with them there, if they so choose. Dinner in the dining room is not included in the children’s rate, but children are most welcome to join their parents for dinner, for a supplement of £14.00. This information is always discussed at the time of a telephone booking, and is also clearly detailed in our online information when making a booking. While parents are dining, we offer personal childcare by arrangement, if required. Alternatively free organised activities are always available in our Kids Club. The Hydro welcomes thousands of children every year – sometimes as many as a hundred a night – and this arrangement seems very popular with almost all of them. I am very sorry it didn’t suit your family. I have spoken to the receptionist with whom you discussed the dining arrangements and she has asked me to offer her sincere apologies if she has caused you any offence. She tells me that you hadn’t advised her that your son had learning difficulties when you checked in, and that when you raised the matter later, in connection with your dining requirements, her comment was made in an attempt to explain that she could not have known this without having been told.

We try as far as possible to ensure that our guests observe our dress code requests, but, in these days of more casual dress preferences, we don’t exclude guests who choose not to dress formally. We also try to take a relaxed view of ‘fun’ clothing such as that worn by the ‘Hen Party’.

Thank you for your feedback. It is always appreciated. Once again, I am sorry that there were aspects of the hotel itself that didn’t meet your expectations, and sorry that the Hydro experience was not as you had hoped it would be, and spoiled by noise from other guests.

Yours sincerely

GC
Director Peebles Hotel Hydropathic Ltd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

First of all you notice the magnificent setting of this charming Scottish Hydro hotel. Peebles is set in the Scottish borders with the river Tweed running through it. For the walkers there are endless walks set in some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Now for the famous Hydro which I've been going to a small child for over 50 years. It has gone through numerous changes and modernisations over the years. Most of them to the betterment of the property. The swiimming and leisure area is fantastic. The swimming pool is made for kids but still allows serious swimming for adults. It has all the facilities you could wish for AND the water is warm. Well done Hydro management, you really made a huge improvement in that area.

Our room was a superior double, with a huge king size bed and bathroom. More spacious than most "suits" that I've stayed in. It was well lit, loads of cupboard and wardrobe space. It was clean and comfortable. Perhaps a bit dated but in a way that added to the charm.

We had dinner in the magnificent Victorian dinning room. The service was excellent and all the staff were friendly and efficient. The food was typical of the mass family holiday type hotel. The choice was good but the portions were on the small side.

As for price. and value for money. It's not cheap but when you consider the facilities which included tennis cours, putting green, snooker tables, badminton, child activities from 10am to 10pm I think it is very fair.

In conclusion we had a great time and would highly recommend Peebles Hydro Hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Harry M Thank you very much for posting this very generous review. Your comments are much appreciated. Best Wishes The McMillan Family
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This visit is the third time that my husband's employers has treated all their staff and families to an overnight visit to this hotel and we both love looking forward to staying. Our room was spotless and although slightly smaller than the last we were here, there was still plenty of room. Slightly dated decor but it didn't bother us much. The bed was big and comfortable, despite not getting much sleep because the room was very warm even with the windows open. My husband also enjoyed the fact he could lie in the bath or sit on the toilet and enjoy the view from the big bathroom window!

We enjoyed using the facilities especially the swimming pool and browsing around the hotel shop. Wish I had time to fit in a beauty treatment as I enjoyed a good massage the last time I was here.

My husband's company paid for dinner and disco too which we both enjoyed. We both have different dietery requirements which were not passed on in advance, so we were thankful that the serving and kitchen staff were able to rustle us up different food at the last minute, and they were all very understanding and accomodating about it.

My husband enjoyed breakfast, but I can't comment as I didn't have any.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit, as we always have done, and look forward to returning in the future. We recommend to anyone wanting a classic hotel experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Kekelambie Thank you for your great review. Glad you enjoyed your stay at The Hydro and hope you will be back soon. Best Wishes The McMillan Family
Oban
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I took my mother in law to Peebles Hydro today for a special foot treatment and a facial for myself. The service was fantastic. Mum is almost 90 and the massage therapist was wonderful.Mum thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My facial was wonderful. And as a massage therapist myself I speak from experience! Reasonably priced it was money well spent for a wonderful,relaxing special treat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear LaneyB Lesley and the team in the beauty salon are delighted you and your mother enjoyed your visit and hope to see you both again soon. Thanks for taking the time to post such a nice review. Best Wishes The McMillan Family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

After reading many of the reviews on here it was with trepidation on arrival. We needn't have worried! We loved our stay, this hotel is from another era and retains all it's grandeur and style. Yes, I agree with some of the other reviewers that the building is slightly sad from the outside but the internal main areas are bright and well decorated and welcoming. We stayed in a superior room overlooking the hills, it was large, clean and comfortable and we had no complaints. The food is outstanding as were the diningroom staff and adding to the ambience was a pianist on the Saturday night. The cocktail bar is well stocked and a lovely area to sit in. We used the swimming pool and it was spotlessly clean as were the jacuzzi and steam room. We had breakfast in bed both mornings and we can thoroughly recommend the full Scottish it was delicious. Overall we had a fantastic stay and will stay again. Thank you Peebles Hydro.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Pollydd We are very glad that you took some of the more extreme reviews on this site with a pinch of salt and chose to come and stay at The Hydro. We are especially delighted that you enjoyed your weekend so much and we thank you for all your great comments. We hope you will come again soon. Best Wishes The McMillan Family

By the way, if any TA user out there has any concerns or queries about any of the reviews of Peebles Hydro, please email us on info@peebleshydro.co.uk and we'll be happy to address them personally Some reviewers just seem to get a bit carried away!
Peebles, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Last minute decision to book this hotel the night before my stay. Got a single room b&b for £49, which for a hotel with the facilities and lovely grounds the Hydro has is an amazing deal especially during the towns annual festival - Beltane.and for Saturday night only stay.

The single rooms are priced accordingly, they are a bit tired but comfortable all the same.

My stay was based around catching up with old school friends etc so I did not really have the opportunity to enjoy the fantastic facilities the hotel offers such as swimming, squash, tennis, snooker, great kids facilities.

The hotel has a nice bar stocking good quality local beers such as Broughton Best on tap. Prices were also fair.

The restaraunt for evening meals does a good job with very very tasty food making the most of local produce although the choices are somewhat 1970's with not a great inovation, but this is likely linked to the traditions of such a hotel but taste is more important that Heston type food! Only slight issue was when I arrived for dinner a whole 7 mins late after scoring my name off, the guy who showed me to my table wrote LATE in huge writing next to my name, he never said anything but I didnt not think that was good!

Sleep quality was ok, although my ground floor room was a bit close to the entertainment area and was a bit noisy until about midnight which was a bit of a pain.

Breakfast was ok but let down a bit by poorish service, after waiting +10 mins to get asked if I wanted coffee, toast etc, I gave up waiting and attracted attention of waiter. Also hot food buffet was allowed to run out before being topped up and when I wanted my food they had no sausage or bacon left, I felt if managed better they should never run out but planning the replenished items better.

Room Tip: Always best to ask for quiet room (I always forget to do this!), the higher up the quieter here.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
We thank this guest for his great review. We are glad he enjoyed his stay and very sorry there were some issues at breakfast. We have been in contact with the guest to clarify that what was written on the table plan was 'reset' not 'late'. If a good table, eg a window table has already been vacated when a later guest arrives for dinner, we give them the better table. Our Restaurant Managers write 'reset' on the table plan when this happens to remind themselves to set up an extra table for breakfast, in case both parties arrive at once for the next meal.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is the first review ive left & didnt want to leave one but feel its necessary. I stayed with my fiancee for 1 night only which thankfully was paid for by my company as a sales target reward as if i,d had to pay for it i,d have been even more disappointed. The positives, restaurant staff very nice & attentive, lovely setting & well thats about it for the positives. Negatives, Weren,t told that profiteroles were off the menu when we sat down, be better if staff informed patrons of th £7-95 extra charge if ordering steak & not just telling people later wel its on the menu. Also very cleverly brought 2 glasses of wine to us without prompting to which we wrongly thought wre complimentary until waiter whipped a pad & pen out for room details to charge us. Room 53, tired & dated with disgusting spiders webs in corners of window. Not what we expected at all. Bathroom had stains on ceiling & some chips out tiles which weren,t nice on the eye.The same night i checked out i rang to say i,d left cufflinks there & wa told they,ll check with housekeeping in the morning & took my numbers to call me back. As i write this at 2-30pm ive heard nothing & tried to call them many times in the last 20 mins to be greeted with an answering machine message saying everyones busy, whichis ridiculous & more like the response you,d expect from a call centre. Have to i wont be back or recommend this hotel to anyone until i have evidence of improvement. Nearly forget, barman in the cocktail bar had to call for info on how to make a mojito which we waited full 20 minutes for & had next to no mint in it & charged nearly £13 pounds for the privilege, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Room Tip: My advice is dont go
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
This gentleman believes he lost his cufflinks in his room at The Hydro, and is very angry with the hotel as a result. He phoned in on the evening of his departure day and reported the missing cufflinks. The room was not occupied that night, and the hotel was very busy, so he was advised that our housekeepers would check, very thoroughly, the next morning, during the scheduled full room service. They did so, and the cufflinks were not there. Quite often, items that are reported missing, turn up in luggage, or among clothing at home. We hope this is the case with the cufflinks. We are sorry if our phone lines were busy for twenty minutes or so. We had in fact already left a message for the gentleman on his mobile phone. He managed to get through just after posting the above review and was very rude to our Duty Manager.

Occasionally, when a dish is really popular, more people than expected order it and we run short. It doesn’t happen very often, because our chefs are very good at ‘guesstimating’. Our menus state very clearly that steaks carry a supplementary charge so we feel it is reasonable to assume that our guests have factored this in when they order one. With regard to wines, it appears a wine waiter was asked by a colleague to deliver two glasses of wine, and took them to the wrong table by mistake. The guests did not tell him that they hadn’t ordered them, and seemed quite happy to sign for them and drink them, so the error was not discovered during dinner, nor was it mentioned on departure. It certainly wasn’t a ploy to boost sales! In fact the couple subsequently ordered a further bottle of the same wine. We are sorry the barman took a while with the Mohitos, and wish that the guest had mentioned some, or any of these issues at the time, when we could have remedied them, or discussed them with him in person.

Been to Peebles Hydro? Share your experiences!